Dog Lovers - How long did your Dog live for ?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
My cocker spaniel with her favourite toys. She's nearly nine now and slowing up a tad but is still an absolute delight. Loves people but not too keen on other dogs.

Ellie 26.jpg

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
About a month a go we lost our beloved Golden Cocker Spaniel. He was only ten and a half (spaniels should live to about twelve) and one day we noticed his breathing wasn't quite right. We took him to the vets who said it was probably a chest infection and gave him antibiotics. It didn't clear up, so a few days later we took him back, they x-rayed him and said sadly he had lung cancer and what's more the lung cancer growths looked like secondaries. He was still walking around, wagging his tail and pulling on the lead to get out so they let us take him home to say goodbye. We arranged for them to come round the next day to do the deed at home as he HATED the vets; however it must have been a very aggressive cancer(s) as it was like he'd fallen of a cliff, he was ok at first, but his breathing got worse and worse through the night and eventually he died in my arms. It was utterly heartbreaking. My wife and I still anguish about whether he suffered and whether it would have been better to have had him put to sleep as soon as we had the diagnosis, but he looked so well less than 24 hours earlier!

It IS a real bereavement as any one who as ever lost a much-loved dog will confirm. We've still got his younger brother and a poodle, but the house is more than half-empty.

That's truly sad and well choked me up.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Dog owners...? Out of interest how do you find the financial side of dog ownership? I would like one (labrador type) but am worried it will be very expensive.

I'd really need to be able to do it without it making a massive impact on the family budget. Adding tins of food onto the Tesco order would be noticeable but manageable - how bad are the other costs? At the moment we have a cat and manage OK with his food and occasional trips to the vet.

Any advice/comments welcome.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dog owners...? Out of interest how do you find the financial side of dog ownership? I would like one (labrador type) but am worried it will be very expensive.

I'd really need to be able to do it without it making a massive impact on the family budget. Adding tins of food onto the Tesco order would be noticeable but manageable - how bad are the other costs? At the moment we have a cat and manage OK with his food and occasional trips to the vet.

Any advice/comments welcome.
You need insurance, and a healthy dog.

My 2 are both wrong'uns and have, epilepsy and terrible skin.

Regular vet trips and pills agogo.

For that there's an outlay, high excess, and constant money drain.
Had it not been for those ailments they would be very low maintenance.

Food wise a 15kg bag of kibbles will cost between £30-40 for recommended stuff.

Even with all the problems they are still worth every penny, assuming you are prepared to put the effort and discipline in.

I'd be lost without my 2.
My retriever is the loyalist idiot I have ever met, he follows me round the house just to sleep at my feet.

Not to mention he's an Albion fan.

Albion pets 005.jpg

Last edited:

I remember the decision making day about our Holly vividly, she had been an incredibly active dog all her 16 years, moved like greased lightning and was never happier than when chasing a stick, ball or anything thrown.
One morning over the park I noticed she wasn't running freely and initially assumed she'd pulled something, as she had done before and thought nothing of it. Three nights later she woke us up crying that dog cry that only dog owners would recognise.
Next day a trip to the vet resulted in pain killers after an x-ray, they didn't work, she was in pain and crying constantly and a return visit to the vet coincided with the x-ray results. She had a tumor the size of a golf ball growing inside her right thigh. The vet upped the dose of painkillers and wanted to wait 6 weeks to see if it stopped growing. Three weeks later she was back in pain, crying all night again so I called the vet.
The decision was made to have the vet come to our house as Holly hated the vets and was always distressed to be there.

She died on "her" sofa, her head in my wife's lap, with me kneeling in front of her looking into her eyes.

I have tears in my eyes just writing that.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The last dog we had that died had to be put down. He was a perfectly healthy dog but some utter **** had put rat poison in bits of food and scattered them around the area. He got hold of some but we didn't know about the poison at the time (just assumed he'd picked up some dropped food.

It was only when he got a small cut on the inside of his lip that wouldn't clot and thus keep bleeding that we took him to the vets. A few blood tests later it was clear that his blood had been thinned by the poison to the point where he was only ever going to bleed to death and the kindest thing to do would be to put him down.

I was coping but then as we left the vet's room I made the stupid mistake of looking back to see the poor thing, confused as to why he was being left behind, try and follow me as the vet shut the door. That... yeah that broke me

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That's truly sad and well choked me up.
Thanks, yeah I've had better days, well better weeks since then, and that's putting it mildly. I'm still not over it. I see from the picture you've got a cocker as well, we're probably biased but I think they are THE best dogs. Reading Hillian1's story (which I think he's posted before) made me realise that our dear old Sidney didn't really suffer in comparison.

The last dog we had that died had to be put down. He was a perfectly healthy dog but some utter **** had put rat poison in bits of food and scattered them around the area. He got hold of some but we didn't know about the poison at the time (just assumed he'd picked up some dropped food.

It was only when he got a small cut on the inside of his lip that wouldn't clot and thus keep bleeding that we took him to the vets. A few blood tests later it was clear that his blood had been thinned by the poison to the point where he was only ever going to bleed to death and the kindest thing to do would be to put him down.

I was coping but then as we left the vet's room I made the stupid mistake of looking back to see the poor thing, confused as to why he was being left behind, try and follow me as the vet shut the door. That... yeah that broke me
That is one of the saddest things I've ever read on here. Couldn't you have stayed with him?

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
My first dog as a kid was a boxer/pointer cross called walter. White with black spots and a big black spot around his eye. made him lookm pretty scary. he wouldnt let anyone near me and my brother when we were young. We had him put to sleep when he was 17 and his back legs went. He was showing his age. Funny thing was for the last few years of his life we had got a Heinz 57 called heidi of my aunty and she gave him a new less of life for them final years.

The Heinz 57well she lived until she was 15 and was completly scatty as they come. Again the time came whern she had to make that final trip to the vets as her legs had gone.

Then came along little Holly. A English Bull terrier pup. She choose me right away as she run up to me and made a complete fuss of me when we went to choose a new pup. Sadly she didnt even make a year. Caught an awful gastro stomach bug and just couldnt keep any food down. The vet couldnt do anything for her. That was the hardest one to take as she was only a baby and had her whole life ahead of her.

All three of them were buried in our back garden in their fravourite spots where they would lay in thye sun.

At the moment have a wonderful Staffie called Mollie. Definastely a peoples dog as she loves her family and when you're at home she never leaves your side. Fantastic with my 1 year old nephew as well. She will just lay next to him when he's round, almost liek she's keeping guard. She is currently 9 years old. Though bless her she has had her moments. as a pup she got a mite infection and lost most of her hair. Weekly trips to the vets for special baths. Done the trick as she has a full coat now. then a month ago we noticed she had a lump on her underside. Vet also found another two. one in her mouth and one on her leg. Thankfully nothing serious and they were all removed.

Who knows how long she will go on for and what we will do when the day comes.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Had a border collie dalmatian cross as a teenager and could not have asked for a more loyal buddy. I had left home when he finally went, but still felt a real sense of loss.

We are currently preparing the house for the arrival of a Sussex Spaniel puppy in two weeks time. He is to be called Bruno and as his dad's name is Gus, I think there is no doubting his pedigree.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
That is one of the saddest things I've ever read on here. Couldn't you have stayed with him?

In hindsight, yes, but at the time for whatever reason we decided it would be better not to. Not like that decision paid dividends for me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Agree with that.

I've always said that if you stick your dog and your missus in the boot of your car and leave them in it for an hour, I know which one of the two will the happier to see you when you open it.

Harry has seen off 4 relationships in his time but he has been there 24/7, 365. He has given me more love and support than any Woman I have ever met for sure. He cannot stand not to be my side. Even wants to come into the toilet to be with me when I have a crap LOL ! He is in it for the long haul. Being single at the moment with no kids, Harry is my life and when he goes I will be a 1000 piece jigsaw almost impossible to put together. Not sure how I am going to cope with the inevitable. He is not well with a swollen pad which may be a cancerous tumour. On all sorts of drugs now. All I can do is hope and pray.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Harry has seen off 4 relationships in his time but he has been there 24/7, 365. He has given me more love and support than any Woman I have ever met for sure. He cannot stand not to be my side. Even wants to come into the toilet to be with me when I have a crap LOL ! He is in it for the long haul. Being single at the moment with no kids, Harry is my life and when he goes I will be a 1000 piece jigsaw almost impossible to put together. Not sure how I am going to cope with the inevitable. He is not well with a swollen pad which may be a cancerous tumour. On all sorts of drugs now. All I can do is hope and pray.

Please promise us you will post on NSC the day it happens

Of course for support purposes lol

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thanks Napper. I am hoping and praying. I know he won't go on forever but this old mutt has kept me going in recent years and when he goes I will be utterly devastated.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I have always wanted a dog and am just in the process of buying our first home.

Some of the stories on here are making me think twice - you experience enough sad moments in life without voluntarily adding more!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Even when Harry goes and the heartbreak it will have he has added so much to my life for nearly 15 years, so go for it. I will cherish the memories and good times and know in my heart I did my best by him, like I promised nearly 15 years ago. If / when the moment comes I will be with him. That is the deal, until the end.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
He has given me more love and support than any Woman I have ever met for sure. He cannot stand not to be my side. Even wants to come into the toilet to be with me when I have a crap LOL ! He is in it for the long haul. Being single at the moment with no kids, Harry is my life and when he goes I will be a 1000 piece jigsaw almost impossible to put together. Not sure how I am going to cope with the inevitable. He is not well with a swollen pad which may be a cancerous tumour. On all sorts of drugs now. All I can do is hope and pray.
people who don't have dogs will never understand the companionship they can give you.
I have 2 staffs, a 4 year old and an old boy of 13.
I shall be in bits when he goes.
I opened this thread because I love dogs more than I love most people.
Some people's posts on here have proper brought me down.:(
Just called the old boy up for a cuddle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports