Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Lovers - How long did your Dog live for ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not long enough.
Today I lost the original Stat Dog, my faithful old retainer of a black Labrador.

He was 11, and obviously an Albion fan.

With both dogs now gone I've sung my last 'put your paws up for Brighton', when returning home after a win.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Lost ours last week.

Molly the Golden Retriever lasted 15 yrs, 8 months and 3 days (very weird moment seeing that on the consent form) and finally the time came to take her along to the vets. We had her for nearly 5 years and definitely gave her the retirement she deserved.

Despite a 6 month old daughter causing mayhem the house still seems strangely empty and I suppose will do for some time.

IMAG1169.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG1160.jpg
    IMAG1160.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 226

theboybilly

Please never say 'never'. Dogs need loving owners. I didn't think I could handle going through all the stress of those last days again but I've taken on a 9 year-old Staffie from Battersea DH who despite wrecking my kitchen to escape firework noise has filled my heart. I love him to bits

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not long enough.
Today I lost the original Stat Dog, my faithful old retainer of a black Labrador.

He was 11, and obviously an Albion fan.

With both dogs now gone I've sung my last 'put your paws up for Brighton', when returning home after a win.
As you can see he was a noble happy chap, this was just a couple of months ago.

Attachments

• WP_20141130_002.jpg
    WP_20141130_002.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 191

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
that is one handsome dog
We trained him as a therapy dog, which wasn't hard because of his nature.
He never ever had a cross bark at anyone.

I remember he'd gone round a room to say hello to everybody, and he came across a fella in a wheelchair.
The guy wanted to stroke him he obviously wanted to be stroked, but they couldn't reach each other.

He circled the chair a few times.

Finally looked across at us, we said 'go on then', what followed was one of the gentlest scenes I have never witnessed.

He rocked back so he was sat upright.
Gently 'squat thrust' up.
Put his paws on the wheelchair arm rests, and snuggled right into the man in question.
So, so tender.

(now typing in a stream of tears and snot)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
We trained him as a therapy dog, which wasn't hard because of his nature.
He never ever had a cross bark at anyone.

I remember he'd gone round a room to say hello to everybody, and he came across a fella in a wheelchair.
The guy wanted to stroke him he obviously wanted to be stroked, but they couldn't reach each other.

He circled the chair a few times.

Finally looked across at us, we said 'go on then', what followed was one of the gentlest scenes I have never witnessed.

He rocked back so he was sat upright.
Gently 'squat thrust' up.
Put his paws on the wheelchair arm rests, and snuggled right into the man in question.
So, so tender.

(now typing in a stream of tears and snot)

not only handsome then but a beautiful nature too

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Jesus, just spent ten minutes reading the past couple of pages..... Crying like a baby now. One thing all your dogs had in common was how genuinely happy they looked. Never forget that they were as lucky to have you, as you were to have them. And as another poster said -,never say never.

I had to give my cat back to the homing charity I got her from a few months back, as I couldn't care for her at the time. Never has anything broken my heart as much in my life. They were going to "retire" her at the charity founders home, as she is 16, but on December 2nd, after 4 months, I was able to take her back which they were delighted to be able to do. I can never put into words the feeling I had the moment they opened the cat box, and she jumped straight up into my arms and started purring. It's a bit ridiculous in a way- I'm a 32 year old bloke that is freely willing to admit that I tell my cat every day how much I love her, and that she'll never be left alone again. I'm lucky to have her.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
Just balled my eyes out. My dog is 4 and I'm on the road a lot so I miss her dearly when away. The best part of getting home is her happy face when I walk through the door.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Oh shit I wish I hadn't re-opened this thread. It's two years to the day since Sidney died and I'm still not over it. Just been looking at the old photos and videos and I've set myself off again. I've got his ashes in a box by my bed; we were going to scatter them but we can't bring ourselves to do it. Still don't regret having him and there's a post I made a couple of years ago where I said that my wife and I agreed that the ten years we had him for were the happiest years of our lives. I stand by that. We're up to four dogs now (It was only two when this thread started!), but I still miss my old original boy.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It was only last night as I was replying to a dog thread asking for advice on NSC that my thoughts drifted to this very thread. I knew one day that I would end up posting on this thread but by Christ, I did not think it would be so soon. My best friend and companion sadly had to be put to sleep this morning. She was showing signs of her old age ( 14 and arthritis ) and had been to the vets a couple of times in the past fortnight for a couple of minor things. On getting home from work yesterday evening there was no meet and greet as was the norm, instead she gingerly wandered in and stood glued to the spot unwilling to move. A trip back to the vets, more pain killing medication and back home. She didn't even want to go for her evening walk. A couple of hours later her condition went down further, then a sleepness night for her and both my wife and I who took turns to nurse her. In the back of my mind I knew what was going on was not going to have a positive outcome but it did not lesson the pain when I took her to the vets this morning and she confirmed my worst fear ( a ruptured growth on her liver ). Dora was my first dog as an adult and a big part of my life especially getting me out of the flat and walking. Goodnight sweetheart.
POSER
2012-05-12 17.52.19.jpg

BELLY RUB TIME
20151008_203737.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I shouldn't have done that.

I'm now crying like a baby, again.

Thoughts with you [MENTION=25384]The Andy Naylor Fan Club[/MENTION].

cornish seagull

cornish seagull
Feb 25, 2011
cornwall
Really sorry mate but going thru something similar with our 17yr old Collie cross called 'Lucky'. Back legs went today and although slightly better tonight she is still very wobbly and has now started to pant.Think we are close!

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
It was only last night as I was replying to a dog thread asking for advice on NSC that my thoughts drifted to this very thread. I knew one day that I would end up posting on this thread but by Christ, I did not think it would be so soon. My best friend and companion sadly had to be put to sleep this morning. She was showing signs of her old age ( 14 and arthritis ) and had been to the vets a couple of times in the past fortnight for a couple of minor things. On getting home from work yesterday evening there was no meet and greet as was the norm, instead she gingerly wandered in and stood glued to the spot unwilling to move. A trip back to the vets, more pain killing medication and back home. She didn't even want to go for her evening walk. A couple of hours later her condition went down further, then a sleepness night for her and both my wife and I who took turns to nurse her. In the back of my mind I knew what was going on was not going to have a positive outcome but it did not lesson the pain when I took her to the vets this morning and she confirmed my worst fear ( a ruptured growth on her liver ). Dora was my first dog as an adult and a big part of my life especially getting me out of the flat and walking. Goodnight sweetheart.
POSER
View attachment 71896

BELLY RUB TIME
View attachment 71897

Honestly feel for you mate. Having had cats mainly growing up I know that losing them is really tough. My family got a golden retriever pup 9 months ago and going home to see her is always the highlight of my trip home.

Hope with time the pain starts to fade a bit at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here