Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Dean Wilkins deserve this treatment?

DO you think Wilkins has been treated fairly?

• No - This is SHODDY to the MAX

Votes: 106 67.5%
  • Yes - Thats life

Votes: 51 32.5%

• Total voters

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Very mixed feelings.

Micky Adams is a great guy, and I am excited by his return, but I really, really feel sorry for Dean; he must feel totally shat on; no-one could have seen this coming, so I am not surprised Dean is 'in shock'.

:yahoo::sick::yahoo::sick::yahoo::sick::yahoo:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
That comment reported by Reid that Wilkins told him to "go and talk to the Chairman" maybe says it all and can't help thinking that Lloyd in the background has been assessing DW's man management skills and reporting back.

As for Adams coming back - a good coach but it very rarely works second time around

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Where's the dont know option? because without the full information I dont know if he did deserve it.

If however what I heard from a friend of an agent is true that Wilkins naiveley damaged the club's negotiating position during the winter debacle (as I have mentioned before) by what he was saying privately to players and his behaviour at negotiation time then he may deserve being moved out of the firing line. Clubs just like companies make unpopular decisions. As a senior employee you need to support the company line. If you dont you will very soon fall foul of your employers.

I'm sure it could have been handled better though. But for all that say Knight is a control freak who interferes, Adams returning does cast doubts on that as being his natural behaviour.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Where's the dont know option? because without the full information I dont know if he did deserve it.

If however what I heard from a friend of an agent is true that Wilkins naiveley damaged the club's negotiating position during the winter debacle (as I have mentioned before) by what he was saying privately to players and his behaviour at negotiation time then he may deserve being moved out of the firing line. Clubs just like companies make unpopular decisions. As a senior employee you need to support the company line. If you dont you will very soon fall foul of your employers.

I'm sure it could have been handled better though. But for all that say Knight is a control freak who interferes, Adams returning does cast doubts on that as being his natural behaviour.

Yup, I'll go with that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Still SHODDY.

People are losing sight of this in their excitement at MA's return. If there were grounds to relieve Wilkins of his duties then so be it - the replacement is a seperate matter.

All those who are saying 'tough luck, that's football' - would your opinion be the same if the replacement was Dean White?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
As for Dean White, his employment remains a mystery to me. I'd have thought now would be a perfect time to clear out DEADWOOD on the management side of things as well.

Adams played with him at Gillingham and took him to the Albion. It's unlikely he considers him to be 'deadwood'.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What exactly is the problem with Dean White? I am assuming the detractors have spent time with him, watched him at training, spoken to players about him and his coaching skills. Quite frankly, I find this characted assasination of him absolutely shameful. We have a great deal of bitches on here who are presumably basing their judgement on ZERO professional football experience.

The man deserves better. Last year he was working as a coach AND spent most of his evenings trawling round the country, checking out players. The guy desevres some respect.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
A number two should be thoughtful, incisive, tactically aware, motivating, and a great communicator. Why we employ some monkey who clearly doesn't know his arse from his elbow I don't know. Adams only brought him here as reserve team manager (a job which frankly you or I could do).

Disagree there - just because a bloke has a belly doesn't mean he's a crap coach.

There is NO evidence to say that he "clearly doesn't know his arse from his elbow".

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A number two should be thoughtful, incisive, tactically aware, motivating, and a great communicator. Why we employ some monkey who clearly doesn't know his arse from his elbow I don't know. Adams only brought him here as reserve team manager (a job which frankly you or I could do).

Interesting.

People with far more football knowledge than you employ someone who they feel can do a job with them. You have no idea of his thoughtfulness, incision, tactical awareness, motivation skills nor his commuication skills, nor do you have any idea what he brings to the team.

Yet you still see fit to bring your perceived wisdom to the table and damn the man who knows more about football than you probably ever will without actually really know what he does.

Unless of course, I've got this totally wrong, and you do actually have a first-hand insight into his operating skills on a day-to-day level (rather than 'XYZ told me'), in which case, I'd be be genuinely interested into you putting a bit more meat on the bone, and expanding on your above opinion.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Why do you think the fans view him with such little respect then? Where I sit at Withdean, White gets ALL the grief from the crowd. Why has he not been able to build up that rapport and respect from the crowd that Booker and Cork both had? There MUST be something.

Because people are so determined to like Wilkins because he isn't McGhee that they find a diferent scapegoat when we are crap.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why do you think the fans view him with such little respect then? Where I sit at Withdean, White gets ALL the grief from the crowd. Why has he not been able to build up that rapport and respect from the crowd that Booker and Cork both had? There MUST be something.

Booker and Cork were both characters, showmen and hard acts to follow. As far as I can tell, White was more likely to feel the brunt of the crowd as it would generally be deflected from Wilkins. Wilkins has brought through many great young players and as an Ex-Albion player is more likely to have some sort of rapport with the crowd.

I think people are overly harsh on him. Perhaps he needs to dress up as Freddie Mercury :D

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
He might be an ok coach. I asked what does he offer as an Assistant Manager?

As for being an utter BUFFOON, I would point towards virtually every match of this season and his JOKE touchline antics. Shouting down phones to Wilkins, aimless bellowing and pointing, part of the three man conference who take 10 minutes to make a decision, magnets moving around a whiteboard. It's a bit amateur to put it politely!

Shouts down the phone because of WILKINS decision to rely on phone communication in a football ground, sitting at the other side of the pitch.

Moves magnets around a whiteboard because of WILKINS insistance in using it to communicate to the players.

Part of a slow 'three man conference' because WILKINS insists on sitting on the other side of the pitch.

As an assistant, I imagine he uses his experience as a player, as a reserve team manager and as a coach in order to ADVISE the manager tactically. As for "aimless bellowing and pointing", watch Alex Ferguson from time to time. Not everyone adopts the Coppell approach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here