Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does Dean Wilkins deserve this treatment?

DO you think Wilkins has been treated fairly?

• No - This is SHODDY to the MAX

Votes: 106 67.5%
  • Yes - Thats life

Votes: 51 32.5%

• Total voters

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
I am MIFFED to the extreme.

Wilkins has done a brilliant job - had just about won over the fans and REBUILT the team after losing players and had a full Summer of new signings ahead of him and Knight goes and does this.

Absolutely BANG out of order.

agreed, really thought he would get us over the hill with some cracking signings this summer!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
You know, i was shocked reading about the whole Man City, Thaskin shambles but comforted by the fact this would never happen at our club.

A day is a long time in football it seems...

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
ps

WTF has Adams done of any merit recently? If he hadn't had success with us or he was an equivelant manager who hadn't managed us we'd be FURIOUS with this.

Jobs for the f***ing boys.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It will be interesting to hear what Dean Wilkins has to say in the cold light of day.

Race's comments about Wilkins being absent for a lot of the last 3 weeks might hold the key.

Let's not get over-sentimental here. Wilkins stock as a coach was high when he took the job as manager. How many proven youth and first team coaches come along who have also had success in management?

Ideally, he'll stay and everything will work out, but that is unlikely, you wouldn't blame him for going and I fully expect he'll have a LOAD of job offers. If I was Mandaric I'd get straight on the phone now - Dowie as manager and Wilkins as first team coach.

Surely Dean can't accept the club's offer to be first team coach.

I think it is disgraceful the way he has been treated.

Agree?

How many more threads are you going to start on this? Does this mean you're about to embark on a quest to try and undermine Adams by continually stirring up shit like you did against McGhee?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think it's good enough to say "Yeah, well that's football." He HAS been harshly treated. You could argue he was the wrong (cheap option) man for the job initially but he's improved - look at our finishing position this season compared with last; and he had to rebuild the team half-way through!

Gordon Strachan once said that technically he was a better manager when Coventry sacked him than when they employed him as he'd learnt 'on the job', but in the crazy world of football that wasn't important.

Finally I would be better disposed to this decision if Wilkins was being replaced by someone like Sven or Jose Moriniho - but Adams? Since he's left us his career has been failure after failure. Not sure what Knight's playing at and I hope this decision doesn't come back to haunt him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just wonder how this would all have panned out if the Albion had finished sixth instead of seventh, and maybe even won the play-offs. Strange times for sure.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
personally i feel its a shame but felt the dealing of the contract renewal may be the last straw. My heart says WE Love you Micky! and my head says Dean was on his last chance anyway. hope to see him back at the club. maybe not upto management? how many times hav we actually deserved to win this season? not many compared to the wins we got. lucky to be 7th and need a shrewd signer of players. micky is just that. feel sorry for dean but as he said himself, thats football....oh the irony!

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Very mixed feelings on this. Deano has done a decent job considering the upheaval he's had last season, and I have no doubts that if he *doesn't* want to stay on as coach, he will have a number of decent offers to choose from.

Micky is an Albion legend - who came down to support us a number of times on Falmer marches since leaving - and I'm a big fan. But as others have pointed out, he's not had any real success at Leicester and Coventry which makes you wonder whether he's peaked as a manager.

Sometimes returning managers do good jobs - as DK has pointed out, Tony Pulis at Stoke and Paul Sturrock at Plymouth are recent examples - but then there's always plenty of examples of where it hasn't worked (eg Mullery for us in the 80s).

*If* Deano stays, it might just prove a master stroke by DK. If not, I'm worried.

And Deano deserves better treatment than this, no question.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
While I feel sorry for Dean and think he should have been given more time this is the reality.... Adams is a name and football is a business.

Kukev31

Feb 2, 2005
Birmingham
Disappointed, Wilkins did an excellent job this season and has been treated very poorly. I hope he gets an offer from another club as manager and does very well, he deserves to.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Like most people on here I have mixed feelings - excited about having MA back but feel very sorry for Dean Wilkins.

Something that Paul Reid said in the Argus is quite interesting about Wilkins telling him 'If you know the Chairman so well, why don't you ask him what is going on'. It seems that he may have already known what was happening at that stage?

scooter1

How soon is now?
Shocked and saddened for DW - he did a great job in difficlut circumstances. He took from 18th one year to 7th the next. But at times I think he struggled tactically and we looked shambolic - maybe this job was just a little too soon for him...
I never heard the fans sing "Dean Wilkins Blue and White Army" whereas you did hear Mickay Adams name sang. He's got a lot to prove and lets just hope he doesn't just f*** off at the sniff of a bigger job in a years time!
I hope DW sticks around as first team coach, we're on the cusp on something big and he deserves to be part of it

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This is the first time I've been genuinely ANNOYED by Knight. I'm not going to say anything else on the matter though, there's clearly been a lot of thought put into this and I can only think that there's money to be spent so, for that reason alone, I'm going to look at this as a positive step.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here