Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want promotion this year?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reading and Cardiff took 2 seasons to buy their way out of this division.

Arrogant to think we can pick the season we go up and we've got a real chance this year, so yes please for me

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
i would be over the moon if we won the play offs.

But sensible head and looking long term...

I think players like virgo, hinsh, robinson, harding, & possibly mcphee need some more experience before they play in div 1.

I dont think we have enough money to get in enough quality players to make a go of div 1.

I think the best chance we have of getting a decent 1st div side is to develop our youth team, and I believe that a year of getting beaten every week is not going to develop them in a good way!!

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Martin Perry has said that we could lose around 200k if we don't go up this season and those new seats go in. The new west stand would have 1,000 seats for away fans only and couldn't be easily split so if teams don't bring a lot of supporters then we'll be seeing a lot of empty unused seats if we stay in Div 2. What are the odds on another planning "problem" with the additional seats if we don't go up this year?

Lucifer

Mar 3, 2004
Went to watch Burnley v West Ham last night. Both teams would pulverise us. Having said that the last time I had this "are we ready to go up" debate with anybody was when we were going to Wembley to play Notts County. We consoled ourselves afterwards that we wouldn't have survived in the top flight the next season but then we got relegated from Divison 2!!!!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Who could NOT want promotion, apart from maybe the same set of poppets who would have been happy to settle for a nice comfy mid-table position when we were first promoted into Division TWO. Bless...

Off Yer Knees!

Who knows how it would pan out? Cardiff and Reading are more than surviving up there and even if we got beaten like a gong week in, week out, we'd still be enjoying a season playing at a higher level. And as long as that **** Hinshelwood is kept well away from the dugout, there's no way we'd give the rest of the division a thirty point start this time around.

Having said that, we're really nowhere good enough for a play-off place. But having said THAT, nobody else is either :dunce:

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Tom Hark said:

Who knows how it would pan out? Cardiff and Reading are more than surviving up there and even if we got beaten like a gong week in, week out, we'd still be enjoying a season playing at a higher level. And as long as Hinshelwood is kept well away from the dugout, there's no way we'd give the rest of the division a thirty point start this time around.

:clap2:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If we are to be promoted we need Falmer resolved as well.

There is no point in going onwards and upwards at Withdean it just won't work.

Turgid

Dec 5, 2003
Wadhurst
I don't understand the question - surely the whole point of taking part in a league is to aim for promotion. How can you not want promotion - it's like saying I want relegation. Totally baffled ......

Gullet

Feb 8, 2004
Bevendean
Turkey said:
Yes.

The current team are not performing at Division 2 level but its a different style of play in Division 1. So a player could be poor in Div 2 but good in Div 1. Illogical yes but not completly inaccurate.

Kerry Mayo is a great example of this. Had a really good season last year, especially when reverting to a wing back, but a poor one this year. Some players raise their game in certain situations, and playing in top quality stadiums would encourage them even more. I believe that some of the youngsters like Virgo and Robinson are good enough to hold their own in Div1. They will have to grow up fast but their confidence and eagerness will pull them through.
Without the injury crisis we had at the beginning of last season I believe we would definately have stayed up so some of the boys would have had to have played in that division anyway.
Definately go all out for promotion and try and and get a footing in Div1 till we get the new stadium.If nothing else it certainly wont be dull.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
The reading and cardiff comparison is not really valid - in that these clubs have spent a hell of a lot more money than we would have available.

What I am saying is that:

1) I don't think this current team is anywhere near good enough to survive in Div 1. How many of the current squad do you think are currently good enough for div 1?

2) I don't believe we would have enough money to attract the amount of quality players to ensure survival in div 1. I would say we would need a much larger & experienced squad, ie another 6 or 7 players

3) I believe we have a talented crop of youngsters. The best way to develop them is to give them a run of games in a winning team ie next year in div 2.
Sticking them into a team that is fighting for survival in Div 1 is not going to benefit them in the same way as playing in winning team in div 2.

4) Next time albion go up, I want them to stay up. for the long run the best way to achieve this is to build a team for the future.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Absolutely - I really enjoyed our adventures in Division One, despite the less than happy ending.

Bono

Jul 18, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Has to be promotion.

Starting in later rounds of the cup competitions.

Elland Road?
Pompey?
Wolves?
Everton?
Upton Park?
Stadium of Light?
Palace

Can't we get there and then worry about it?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I sometimes wonder why people support a club? How can you go and watch the Albion play every week and not want them to do well?!??!?

If you go up then you're good enough simple as. If we won the division and still went down what have we got to do to be good enough? Get promotion by Xmas?

If you want to support a team that doesn't lose go to Scotland. I for one support the Albion and would very much like them to go up. If we get in the play offs for the Prem, the chances are we'll come straight back down. Does that stop me wanting it? No.

It's no wonder Withdean is so quite. Half of you are routing fot the other side!!!

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Lammy said:
I sometimes wonder why people support a club? How can you go and watch the Albion play every week and not want them to do well?!??!?

If you go up then you're good enough simple as. If we won the division and still went down what have we got to do to be good enough? Get promotion by Xmas?

If you want to support a team that doesn't lose go to Scotland. I for one support the Albion and would very much like them to go up. If we get in the play offs for the Prem, the chances are we'll come straight back down. Does that stop me wanting it? No.

It's no wonder Withdean is so quite. Half of you are routing fot the other side!!!

I think all of us want the Albion to do well and we'd all celebrate big big style if we go up either automatically (which is doubtful) or via the play-offs. I think it is just a matter of looking ahead and what would come about next season if we were in Div1.
True, Hinshelwood was a crap manager and Knight should have replaced him sooner. But equally, McGhee has yet to show he is another Coppell or even better another Adams. We have also lost Zamora and Brooker and the future for Simon Rodger is doubtful. Also players like Pethick are gone and Blackwell and Butters are another two years older and towards the end of their careers.
We have some brilliant young players: Virgo, Hinsh, Harding, McPhee and most of all Robinson and a few very good older pros like Cullip, Watson, Mayo and Carpenter ... but we lack any real depth and quality and without Falmer being guaranteed and with a weak team, I just fear we could be humiliated - I have watched Sunderland struggle this season in a few games against teams that turned us over last time - UNLESS Knight and McGhee find coffers the size of Cardiff and Reading to buy five or six decent new players I just fear the worse ....
I really hope I am proved wrong ... I really do

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I'd like us to go up. Our players and management learnt a lot in our last forage. If we go up, and come back down - ho humm... it just proves the point that Falmer is vital sooner rather than later. If we go up and stay up - then Falmer is a necessity to compete with some of the superb stadia in the first division.

IMO, promotion would add tremendous weight to the Falmer campaign, and would stick that "provincial club" nonsense right up Hoiles arse!

But this is all obvious stuff...

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
We only need to be better than three other teams to stay up! If we can avoid 13 losses on the trot we should be ok!

Besides the trip home from Cardiff will be better :)

It's also been a massive season and a half since we last won a trophy! I'm starting to lose interest!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'd much rather be fighting relegation in the 1st than trying to get promoted from the 2nd. Besides that, I think the playoffs are the best possible way to get promoted - it's like winning the cup and going up at the same time.

I also believe that teams that get promoted this way tend to do better the following season (although I haven't checked the stats).

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
I think a few of yous need to calm down. No-one is suggesting that they actively DONT want Albion to go up; theres no question that every single one of us would celebrate like theres no tomorrow if we made it back to Div 1 come May :drink:

I agree with all the points about the develpoment of the youngsters in Div2. I also agree that WHEN the Albion next grace Div1, i want us to consolidate rather than being in a basement battle.

However, i think without doubt the most important thing for us now is to raise our regional and national profile, and the best way to do that is by promotion- particularly in a dramatic play-off final in Cardiff. We have to show South Today that professional football exists outside of Hampshire. From Falmer's point of view, the sooner the better.

Besides, we came fecking close to staying up last season. And that was after, as someone else said on this thread, giving everyone else a 30-point start :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here