Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want promotion this year?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Of course I want us to go up. What's the point in supporting a team and not wanting them to do their best?

So we may come straight back down - so what? although personally I think we could stay up. Like it's been said many times, we nearly stayed up last season after a miserable start. Can't see a start like that happening again.

Come on you seagulls......Cardiff here we come
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Its not a question of whether WE want to go up but whether or not The Board can afford for us to go up.

We now have 50% of a team that won Div 2 with the best players either gone or retired i.e Zamora Booker Morgan older players who appear to have passed their sell by date for a higher league like Watson Mayo Oatway, Hart Jones, Lee, Pitcher youngsters that will never make it like Hinshelwood, Marney plus others just making up the numbers until they retire Butters Rodgers and Blackwell. The only positives for a team in Div One would be Cullip. Knight and Carpenter. Roberts and Kuipers would probably be ok along with Harding Virgo but from where and with what do we get the remainder if we are promoted.

Only 4 years until I retire and buy an OAP season ticket at Withdean!!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
BensGrandad said:
Its not a question of whether WE want to go up but whether or not The Board can afford for us to go up.

I've never understood this logic. We could always afford to go up, by simply not building daft pay increases for promotion into player contracts.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh. We don't have to spend more money if we get promoted, though in reality most teams do. Some of our highest wage earners might not still be on the books next august (eg Knight, Butters, Blackwell, Roberts, Watson). We could go up, slash the wage bill, rely on youth, and a few loan signings and try and wing it.
At worst we'd be back in the division we are in now with a more experienced squad

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
if we managed to go up we'd be straight back-down again.
i dont think it depends on whether mcghee can assemble a team
to keep us up but more on whether any money is made
available to enable him to have a go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Rotherham and Crewe can bumble along in Div 1 so can we. Just how much bigger and better are they than we can be? Grimsby also stayed there for ages.

Now Ecovert have got the boot we can't be that far behind those two in terms of income can we? The difference in ticket prices must come close to covering the fact that we rent and they don't?

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Spot on Icy. Its all about good management of a team, unfortunately a challenge that Hishelwood wasnt up to.

Rotherham and Crewe seem to be really well-run clubs. Whats that cliche about being more than the sum of your parts?

Sergi Gotsmanov

Feb 23, 2004
West of Palookaville
Promotion yes!!

Just think , if we do get it then first we have to get pissed and win in Cardiff. That will make the local Cradiff supporters happy. They may even come and say hello.

Then.... we get another chnace to piss in the sinks/bins/floor at Scumhurst.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I would not say NO as been said before the staduims will be much nicer and that has been the worst thing about Div2. I really want to go to Cardiff as that would be an amazing. Falmer though is the main fight and if we win that it would be better than a promtion.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The gap between 2 and 1 is not anywhere as big as some of you are making out, nothing like the gap between div 1 and the premiership - rotherham at the mo and grimsby, crewe, port vale for years managed OK. I'm far more scared if we don't go up the team will really break up and we end up being a lower-mid table div 2 side, just as happened when we went down from the (old) 2nd in 1992.

Blooding the youngsters? better in a proper footballing division than the kick and rush game in the lower divisions.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
This current albion team is nowhere near as good enough as the side that got relegated last year. So why do people think we would somehow be able to stay up?

My feeling is that we need a year to develop a side who know each other, clear out the dead wood in the summer, get some new players in and then win promotion next year... simple!

Prescotts decision is meant to be made any time now, so by the end of the season the stadium situation will be resolved.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Daft question. Why support the club if you don't want them to be successful. Of course I want promotion. I don't care about next season until next season.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
i love the albion.

I want to look ahead and not just at the immediate future.

Div 2 is shit, the other teams are shit, the grounds are shit, its generally shit... I want us to win promotion and not come back down!! If it means another year in this hellhole then so be it.

The current team would get slaughtered in div1 - no question about it, anyone who says different needs to wake up i'm afraid.

If we went up the only way for us to stay up would be to get in a bunch of experienced pros (if we could afford them) - not exactly a long term plan is it, and what would happen to the development of the virgo's, hinsh, robinson etc?

Coppell nearly managed to keep us in div 1 but he didnt exactly build for the future did he.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here