Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want promotion this year?

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
My gut feeling is no.

This current side is not as good as the side that won div 2 championship 2 seasons ago. That squad was not good enough to survive in div 1.

If we did manage to the win the play offs final, would Mcghee be able to bring in enough quality to keep us up as he would clearly have to rebuild a new squad.

Also, Div 2, looks to me a good place to give the young plavers another years experience of first team football in order to prepare them for Div 1 in two years time.

what you think?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
No, we're not ready and we need at least another season to bring in fresh blood, and get rid of the dead wood.

Our best hope would be to lose in Cardiff and get a bit of cash from it.

I hate to say it though.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
We didn't get a fair stab at div 1 last season, I would like to have another go !!

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes please. We'd attract enough half decent players to keep us up. The only reason we got relgated was because Tinselhead ran the show for a third of the season, accumulating a princely 4 points in the process.

Falmer Dream

Feb 2, 2004
Simster said:
Yes please. We'd attract enough half decent players to keep us up. The only reason we got relgated was because Tinselhead ran the show for a third of the season, accumulating a princely 4 points in the process.
True, but the current team might struggle to get 12 points in a Division 1 season. And I don't see loadsamoney suddenly being made available for transfers and wages, especially if McGhee keeps too many of the players who are out of contract at the end of this season.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
YES PLEASE - I would love it if we get promotion, especially through the play-offs!!

I don't mind seeing us battle in Div 1 - we ought to have a fair chance of survival against the likes of: Stoke, Rotherham, Crewe, Watford, Burnley, Walsall, Gillingham, Derby, Plymouth, QPR or Brizzle City.

:clap: :clap2: :ascarf: :clap2: :clap:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Expectations of Falmer, and crowds of 9000 and a decent away support would make Withdean a fun place to be again.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Whats the point in going to the remainder of games if you dont want us to go up? It will be like going to games hoping we lose.

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
personally I'd rather wait another year.

Reasons being.

I would like to see the younger players given a chance to establish themselves

Unfortunately I dont believe we would be able to attract enough good players to stay up.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So what ... as long as we are realistci and don't get on their backs, why should that be a problem for our young players ?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I have said this before. I would rather we stay in Div 2 for another season and consolidate with the promise of Falmer confirmed as reality, before winning the Div 2 championship again in 2005 with a much stronger team.

Alamski

Mar 3, 2004
Twickenham
We need to keep in the play off positions and win the play off final, so that we can prove to the lovely Mr Prescott that we need Falmer!

We didn't do ourselves justice last year. We will have to get more players on board to make it in the division and start playing Division 1 football.

Last night was an indication that we need to change the way we play. Brentford chased every loose ball, whereas Leon and Trev ran for the balls that they felt like chasing - the introduction of Jake was a breath of fresh air and hopefully the kick up the ass Leon needs...

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Yes.

The current team are not performing at Division 2 level but its a different style of play in Division 1. So a player could be poor in Div 2 but good in Div 1. Illogical yes but not completly inaccurate.

The youth will have had an extra year. Others will have more expirience of that level. McGhee knows the league and would bring in new players.

And I don't care if we lose every game! We play shite this year anyway! Rather play shite in nice stadiums!

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Give me promotion any time over building team up and bringing youngsters on...Bigger grounds to go to and i think we would attract better players hopefully with the knowldege that Falmer was sorted

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
No, we keep on and try for promotion this time. Trouble is – I agree with others here – our side is not anywhere near as strong as when we won the Div 2 championship two years ago and boy did we struggle.

Reckon that only seven (eight, if Leon finds his form and wants to play!) of our side are up to mid table Div 1 standard – and that includes our two keepers!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I want it for the sheer excitement of going up
I want it for the 1st div footy next season
I want it for the decent away grounds

I dont want it 'cos the team aint good enough
I dont want it 'cos even if there is a summer clear-out/fresh faces in we may well struggle again
I dont want it because we simply hav'nt got the money to stay up

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Hmmm … I can see the point of playing in better stadiums and against the like of West Ham, Sunderland, Leeds and so on … but unless McGhee invests in four or five top players we will just yoyo back to Div 2 ….. rather we went up with our team strengthened and Falmer there to attract more good players and then immediately consolidate in Div 1 for a year or two before aiming for where we belong: the Premiership.

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
Don't understand the argument - the young players will learn far more playing in the trying conditions of div 1.
We would actually fill withdean and the extra revenue from away fans should help us strengthen the squad...a little.
We'd also attract some slightly better players who don't fancy the drop to div 2.
Lets remember we only just went out of div 1. If only we hahd had a manager in from the start that was experienced and had the pre-season to forge his own team

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here