Votes: 133 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I believe that he existed as a historical figure.

I do not believe that he was the son of God, because I do not believe in God.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
would you not agree that respecting someone would just be a sign of good manners and common decency?
It would, but it's understandable that such things are casualties when religion is debated, as religion has been used so much across the centuries for pure evil.

No one has to believe what others believe, but that does not make any persons beliefs worth less than the beliefs of any one else.
I'm not sure how 'worth' is calculated, but I would say different beliefs (atheist, christianity, islam etc) are worth less - for example, if Christian are right, and Jesus was the son of God, then the beliefs of those that disagree are definitely worth less. And in this hypothetical scenario, if a group of people believe they should kill all Christians, and they go and do so, I don't suppose God would would be overly pleased, and perhaps the beliefs of those people would be worth less.

why do the majority of people around the world still believe in some form of religion? 'It would be rather simplistic, but quite easy to infer' that there is no such thing as an educated society?
The majority of people around the world are not well educated. Many don't get to go to school, and many others that do are 'taught' religion as if it is fact. Of those that are educated, many pretend to believe when they don't really. Politically it helps to believe, as atheists tend to accept those that believe more than Christians accept those that don't - ie, when did we have a prime minister that admitted being an atheist?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
You can't blame religion for all the attrocities commited in it's name. Same as you wouldn't say every football fan is a hooligan. There is a minority to everything, the problem is the minority are usually complete headcases.
When you see a war zone, you can guaranty there is some sort of religious organistaion trying to help those in need.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
On another tangent, one could argue that Diego Poyet is in fact Jesus....

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Not really sure how religion can be blamed for that, God or the holy book did not tell them to go and abuse children, im sure they probably would still have done it if they where that way inclined.

Maybe true BUT they wouldn't have been supported/excused/protected in the way that they have been by the church and hence wouldn't have caused so much tragedy.

Religion is a thing of the past, followed to answer questions that man did not understand. The philosophical side of religion can be positive but is far outweighed by the morons who take ancient scripture literally and to suit their corrupt ways.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm surprised no-one's pointed this out but he wasn't the Messiah - he was just a very naughty boy!

PC-Gull

The Muffin Man
Apr 12, 2008
Brighton, Sussex, England
I'm surprised no-one's pointed this out but he wasn't the Messiah - he was just a very naughty boy!

Islam accepts Jesus as a prophet, but not as the son of God. If the Qur'an, which is a very different religion, can still accept Jesus as a person who spoke some truth, why is it so hard for people who have nothing to lose of gain from Jesus existing, to accept that the idea of Jesus living gives many people direction in their lives?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
why is it so hard for people who have nothing to lose of gain from Jesus existing, to accept that the idea of Jesus living gives many people direction in their lives?
Who says we don't accept it gives people direction? Most atheists don't mind others believing. Not all religious aspects are positive though, and there's no reason why we shouldn't try to educate those that believe.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Oh,and another thing.

Of course Robin Hood existed.Not only have I read the book and seen the movies,but I've also touched the statue AND seen the Mighty Oak Tree.

Little John,though,is just every man's nightmare.

PC-Gull

The Muffin Man
Apr 12, 2008
Brighton, Sussex, England
Who says we don't accept it gives people direction? Most atheists don't mind others believing. Not all religious aspects are positive though, and there's no reason why we shouldn't try to educate those that believe.

Of course not all aspects of religion are positive, and therefore have given some people the delusion that they should carry out horrible acts in the name of their religion. However, how can you say 'educate' people when religion is a very good and positive aspect of their lives? The reason you shouldn't try to 'educate' anyone is because you have no right to. Just as they have no right to 'educate' you. Let people have their beliefs. You have your beliefs and they have theirs. No one can say they are right and everyone else is wrong.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The thing that always gets me on threads like these is that no religious person is having a go at those who choose not to believe, but those atheists/sceptics cannot help but feel the need to try and "convince" or belittle those that do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here