• Poll closed .

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Mary: "Afternoon Joe, I'm up the duff"

Joseph: "But we haven't got it on yet you dirty old slapper"

Mary: "Must be er em........an immaculate conception"

Joseph: "Oh yeah, never thought of that"

I was brought up as a Catholic. All it did was turn me in to an athiest.

There is historical evidence that Jesus the man did exist, whether or not he was the son of God is the dispute. I do believe Jesus rose from the dead. What I can't believe is the the day Jesus was killed in such a horrific way is called 'Good' Friday. Sound's like a pretty bad day to me.

No there isn't. There is not a single shred of contemparenous evidence that he ever existed. The first recorded writing refering to him are Tacitus and Josephus. tcitus was not born until 56 CE, some 20 years after the events were supposed to have taken place and Josephus was born in 37 CE, a yesr or so after the supposed events. There is notihng at all in any historical recorsd that even remotely backs up any of the claims that this person ever existed, except apparently and rather bizarely, some writing from India suggesting that someone from the Palestine may have been travelling in India during the 'missing years' learning from the Bhuddist, Hindu and Toaist teachers.

Josephus wrote of the supposaed existance of the Nazereene in CE 93-94. Tacitus was writing circa 64 CE.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
And lo! The Tooth Fairy came upon them and their lost teeth regrew ! All praise the Fairy !!

Well if only i was a kid now,my teeth were worth 15pence back in the day,perhaps i might get a fiver now..

PC-Gull

The Muffin Man
Apr 12, 2008
Brighton, Sussex, England
10 main laws of living!!!!

The first 4 are about God himself. Not worshiping a different god, not having false idols etc.

Firstly why the hell would an all powerful omnipotent being care if you worshipped somebody other than him.

Secondly the remaining 6 commandments mention nothing about Paedophilia, so I'm assuming that was ok 2000 years ago in Gods eyes.

Honestly it's such bollocks it's unbelievable.

Please keep in mind that the Bible was written by people and those people lived in a society very different from our own. People, although can be great beings, can also be purely selfish and greedy. They put their own ideals forward and try to convince everyone else that they are right. I have my own beliefs but I am also disillusioned with the Church. People are imperfect and that is a truth of all people, in my opinion. It is up to each individual to find what they believe to be right and wrong and to live accordingly. As I have posted before, if you live the best life for yourself and for others, you will appease many gods of various religions. If nothing else, you will be living a good life here regardless of what you feel about what happens after this life.
However, to trash talk the beliefs of anyone is completely disrespectful. There are ways to discuss any reasons why one may believe different things, but no one has the right to push their beliefs on to others and that includes the belief that religions are wrong.
Another thing to keep in mind is that around the planet Atheists are the minority, but that doesn't make them wrong, nor does it make them right.

Sep 20, 2005
Bollocks.
You're in a minority here. Go join the chemtrails debate.

I never once said Jesus Christ definitely did not exist and I did not disparage those among us who are believers.

I said there was no actual evidence, and there isn't.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
No he's not. If evidence exists then please provide a link to it or a cite for it. Until then you are the one talking bollocks and believing fairy tales on the basis of no evidence, not 1959.

Hi Reading

I've been waiting for you to join this thread.

It was an absolute certainty.

You must have been busy over the Easter period policing all the various forums/boards you belong to ( for no apparent reason) just to counter any idiotic talk about God and suchlike.

Nice to see nothing changes.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Please keep in mind that the Bible was written by people and those people lived in a society very different from our own. People, although can be great beings, can also be purely selfish and greedy. They put their own ideals forward and try to convince everyone else that they are right. I have my own beliefs but I am also disillusioned with the Church. People are imperfect and that is a truth of all people, in my opinion. It is up to each individual to find what they believe to be right and wrong and to live accordingly. As I have posted before, if you live the best life for yourself and for others, you will appease many gods of various religions. If nothing else, you will be living a good life here regardless of what you feel about what happens after this life.
However, to trash talk the beliefs of anyone is completely disrespectful. There are ways to discuss any reasons why one may believe different things, but no one has the right to push their beliefs on to others and that includes the belief that religions are wrong.
Another thing to keep in mind is that around the planet Atheists are the minority, but that doesn't make them wrong, nor does it make them right.

Agree with you in the majority.

Yes the bible was written, and I would add made up by humans.

Also agree that living a good life will appease many religions.

I do take exception to the idea that "trash talking" others beliefs is disrespectful. If I believed that once a day I should sacrifice a goat in public to appease my god, many people would trash talk it. If 100 others believed it then it would be a cult. If 10000 did it becomes a religion.

The original concept is still flawed, and therefore should be challenged.

The fact that it is "trash talk" or proper scripted debate is not relevant. Whats relevant is that it is challenged in the first place, not put on a pedastool and protected because it is a "belief"

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
No he's not. If evidence exists then please provide a link to it or a cite for it. Until then you are the one talking bollocks and believing fairy tales on the basis of no evidence, not 1959.

Fairy tales? What the rock are you talking about? I'm talking about whether he existed or not. That is, a man who is now referred to as Jesus. Nothing to do with the bible or the stories within. Most historians believe such a man existed. Richard Dawkins doesn't deny his existence. I think maybe you're a little mixed up. I consider myself an atheist btw.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Thought it was interesting in that book blood and something or other, cant remember right now, im too stoned, about the bloke Barrabbus..with the habit of the day of people calling themselves son of this, and son of that...in Hebrew Bar means, son of, and rabbus meaning rabbi, implying the man Barrabus being the Jesus characters son..

Hi Reading

I've been waiting for you to join this thread.

It was an absolute certainty.

You must have been busy over the Easter period policing all the various forums/boards you belong to ( for no apparent reason) just to counter any idiotic talk about God and suchlike.

Nice to see nothing changes.

Nope, actually I was busy watching reading go top of the league beating shitty Leeds. And I agree, nothing changes. No xian has ever yet been able to provide a contenmporaneous cite for this persons existance.

And I'm on this board for historical reasons, as Uncle Buck, Attilla and Graham Dagless and they can probably explain some of it to you - just don't ask UB about the train journey. And I've ben here for over 9 years now as I'm sure you have noticed.

Fairy tales? What the rock are you talking about? I'm talking about whether he existed or not. That is, a man who is now referred to as Jesus. Nothing to do with the bible or the stories within. Most historians believe such a man existed. Richard Dawkins doesn't deny his existence. I think maybe you're a little mixed up. I consider myself an atheist btw.

Cite for 'most historians' please otherwise it is simply made up. Or a cite for any historical records that even hint at his existance, Josephus and Tacitus do not count, they were not contemporary.

And richard Dawkins does not accept he existed. He accepts he MAY have existed. A rather different thing I think you'll agree.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Nope, actually I was busy watching reading go top of the league beating shitty Leeds. And I agree, nothing changes. No xian has ever yet been able to provide a contenmporaneous cite for this persons existance.

And I'm on this board for historical reasons, as Uncle Buck, Attilla and Graham Dagless and they can probably explain some of it to you - just don't ask UB about the train journey. And I've ben here for over 9 years now as I'm sure you have noticed.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

It's ok Reading I was only having a bit of a laugh.

I know we've had our clashes in the past but I'm way past that now.

Each to their own.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I do believe there was a Jesus. Why not? In those days there appears to have been lots like him.

However, with modern science and such like, I do not believe there is a God (although there could have been some aliens up to no good over the years), nor the things attributed to Jesus.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Cite for 'most historians' please otherwise it is simply made up. Or a cite for any historical records that even hint at his existance, Josephus and Tacitus do not count, they were not contemporary.

And richard Dawkins does not accept he existed. He accepts he MAY have existed. A rather different thing I think you'll agree.

Or, I can't be bothered? That may be an option?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here