• No

Votes: 133 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well I hope the 15 that said no , so far, have not been scoffing any Easter Eggs today !

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

PC-Gull

The Muffin Man
Apr 12, 2008
Brighton, Sussex, England
How can someone who believes that Jesus was the son of God, also believe it's possible that Mary was raped?

I do not believe she was raped. The comment was to meant to be as far fetched as the idea of her being a dirty slag. I believe in the immaculate conception and that she gave birth to a boy she named Yeshua, a common Jewish name at the time.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
There is historical evidence that Jesus the man did exist, whether or not he was the son of God is the dispute. I do believe Jesus rose from the dead. What I can't believe is the the day Jesus was killed in such a horrific way is called 'Good' Friday. Sound's like a pretty bad day to me.

It were good for the Romans!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Well I hope the 15 that said no , so far have not been scoffing any Easter Eggs today !

I don't believe Jesus is alive currently,i asked God and he said he is but not in the way you think,you are right my child he is not alive,not alive in the souls of people,this is why a 2nd coming will take place but he is alive..

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
You're joking, right? There is absolutely no evidence that such a man ever existed. No grave, no documentation, no contemporaneous accounts at all, no Roman archives, nothing.

Pontius Pilate left no written evidence that such a man had been executed. This is unusual, to say the least, for a society like the Romans that kept meticulous records about everything that went on in its provinces and with its subjects, especially executions.

Plenty of non-biblical writing exists from that time and that place, but none of it mentions a man by this name, or any stories that we might recognise as being about such a person.

All accounts of the man known as Jesus originate from the four gospels; Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, of which Matthew, Mark and John's accounts of Jesus are essentially rehashes of Luke (I might have the order wrong there). All of these were written at least 150 years after the supposed death of this man.

The versions we have of these accounts have been translated umpteen times over the years by people with all kinds of political reasons for spicing something, toning something down, censoring or adding something to. So, yes, in my opinion, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to suggest it is in dispute.

Exactly this.

JC is made up. As is religion.

ALL RELIGION.

It always amazes me that some of the most intelligent and lucid people I know can still believe in this fairy tale.

We don't pay attention to scientific books from 2000 years ago any more, as they have been proven to be innacurate. So why we pay attention to religious books from 2000 years ago that can also easily be proven to be innacurate is beyond me.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I do not believe she was raped. The comment was to meant to be as far fetched as the idea of her being a dirty slag. I believe in the immaculate conception and that she gave birth to a boy she named Yeshua, a common Jewish name at the time.

I think she was dressed provocatively, and secretly wanted a bit of rough.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I do not believe she was raped. The comment was to meant to be as far fetched as the idea of her being a dirty slag.
Ok, the way you worded it ('if anything Mary the mother was raped') suggested you accepted that may have happened.

However...
her being a dirty slag is not at all far fetched. I believe that is the reality and anyone that doesn't believe in Jesus Chirst, also believes Mary wasn't a virgin, which just gives two options - she was being a bit naughty, or she was raped. Neither are far fetched.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It always amazes me that some of the most intelligent and lucid people I know can still believe in this fairy tale.
It says a lot about humans and how we desperately want to believe that this isn't it.
We don't pay attention to scientific books from 2000 years ago any more, as they have been proven to be innacurate. So why we pay attention to religious books from 2000 years ago that can also easily be proven to be innacurate is beyond me.
Likewise.
I think she was dressed provocatively, and secretly wanted a bit of rough.
Maybe she showed a bit of leg, or her neck or something. Slag.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Forget religion,God exists the Lion King is on and proves this-don't be like Scar be like Simbar
images

PC-Gull

The Muffin Man
Apr 12, 2008
Brighton, Sussex, England
I realise you didn't intend to offend - maybe I overreacted a little there... However I still think it's stretching it. Yes, it was written the Bible however many years ago, but was that really the first time it was written down? Did civilisations older than the Bible really have no laws? I don't think that's the case, and I believe such laws would always have existed regardless of belief in any gods.

But maybe that's just me. Anyway, I realise these threads on NSC have a habit of descending into anarchy and personal abuse and that's not where I want to go... so maybe I'll just leave it at "I disagree with you" and wish you happy Easter anyway :drink:

Civilisations older than the Bible had laws, but they were different. Keep in mind that Barabbas was, among other things, a murderer and was released instead of Jesus. Killing was deemed to be wrong in society at that time. I merely pointed out that the Bible made it one of the 10 main laws of living, and seeing as the Bible is such a powerful book around the world I think it is a very positive contribution.

I will agree with disagreeing and I wish you a very happy Easter.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
And lo! The Tooth Fairy came upon them and their lost teeth regrew ! All praise the Fairy !!

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Civilisations older than the Bible had laws, but they were different. Keep in mind that Barabbas was, among other things, a murderer and was released instead of Jesus. Killing was deemed to be wrong in society at that time. I merely pointed out that the Bible made it one of the 10 main laws of living, and seeing as the Bible is such a powerful book around the world I think it is a very positive contribution.

I will agree with disagreeing and I wish you a very happy Easter.

10 main laws of living!!!!

The first 4 are about God himself. Not worshiping a different god, not having false idols etc.

Firstly why the hell would an all powerful omnipotent being care if you worshipped somebody other than him.

Secondly the remaining 6 commandments mention nothing about Paedophilia, so I'm assuming that was ok 2000 years ago in Gods eyes.

Honestly it's such bollocks it's unbelievable.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
People are to blame for their own acts. A religion gives guidance and helps people find a few answers in their own lives. All the atrocities that have happened in the name of religion re committed by people who are trying to justify their own misdeeds and desires. Religion has also been the base of basic laws such as not killing each other, etc. Hard to say nothing good has come from religion. If you look at many of the bigger religions and boil their ideals down to one general statement about life, you will appease many different gods by living the best life for yourself and for others.
Too many things can be seen as a bane of society if you only focus on the ways it can be used negatively.

I don't blame religion for the acts of individuals within their order but what I do hold the religious heirachy to account for is the way they covered up the abuse at the expense of the welfare of the victims and in some cases, quite literally put the fear of God into them. Let's not forget that one of those invovled in the cover up is the current Pope!

I do not, in any way, believe that Atheists are immoral. Nor am I suggesting that the idea of killing people would have been legal had religions not deemed it wrong. But as you said yourself, it was written down thus taking the need for people to come across the idea themselves out of the picture. I am sorry you were offended by my post, as that was certainly not my intention. It was merely an example.

How can you suggest that any society prior to the commandments didn't understand that murder was wrong? There were of course the sacrifices to various Gods and let's not forget that Abraham was about to sacrifice his own son, Isaac, in an act of worship. But most societies probably accepted that you have no right to kill someone just because you could.

Going back to the original question, no I don't believe there was an individual as described in the gospels. There may have been someone called Jesus but he didn't perform miracles and didn't die to save the rest of us. Religion is, in my view, about two main ideas. First is that there is force or power that can respond to requests (sometimes called prayer) and secondly that when you die your spirit goes to another place for eternity. Whilst I can acknowledge the benefits that belonging to a religion can bring to an individual in terms of a collective support group, I don't subscribe to prayer and don't believe in life after death. For me, religion perpetuates on peoples hopes and fears. Hope that you don't just die and thats that and fear that that is in fact what happens.

As you can tell, I'm not religious but I believe I have a good moral compass and that is how I choose to live my life.

Feb 21, 2012
Jesus existed. Was he the son of the creator? Unlikely. Was he a nice bloke? Yeah probably.

His story makes a nice bit of history, but for people in 2012 to follow his (alleged) teachings to the letter is slightly mental.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here