Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do cats feel sadness

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I did look under hedges and shrubs for 5 or 6 streets explaining to neighbours what I was doing. I looked for a few days. I also contacted the vet to let him know as she was still having treatment and he agreed with me that she'd gone away to die.

she has tucked herself well away somewhere
hope you do find her then you can at least draw a line

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Unfortunately this was last February and it took me a while to accept it.

its does take some time especially when you do not know
we lost one nearly 13 years ago when we lived in Brighton(we now believe she was stolen) we spent years trying to find her and I was still being contacted 7 years after she went missing by people who thought they had found her, the one that has just passed on was her sister which made losing her even more hard to bear.
you can only do your best for them and when they go remember to good times you had with them

be lucky

Fur Cough

Moggy Watch:

Since the demise of her sister she won't leave me alone, which is nice because she was never very affectionate before.
Eating for England but malting like hell, she is a long haired cat.

Things look OK.

Cheers for all the advice and sympathy.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Probably stressed. Feliway may help (plug in diffuser). Otherwise all you can really do is stop her overgrooming which can also cause hair to fall out, and take to vet if required. They do seem to get over loosing a companion eventually, but they don't understand death.

PS - don't be put off getting another eventually - animal charities are full of cats needing good homes.

PPS - currently have four, plus the ashes of three others under the back garden

Fur Cough

Probably stressed. Feliway may help (plug in diffuser). Otherwise all you can really do is stop her overgrooming which can also cause hair to fall out, and take to vet if required. They do seem to get over loosing a companion eventually, but they don't understand death.

PS - don't be put off getting another eventually - animal charities are full of cats needing good homes.

PPS - currently have four, plus the ashes of three others under the back garden

That's the thing though, I am now put off. My cats and dogs, while they were alive, enjoyed a loving home where they were the centre of the world. I simply cannot go through that again although I know it will have to happen once more.

I would never put anyone off resceuing an animal DO IT if your reading but it's just not for me again.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I boy and 2 ginger girl kittens available from 1st of November. PM me for more info?

My tabby fuked off a year ago when I got a german shepherd puppy which was fair enuff until..yesterday when i got home and he was in our kitchen, bold as brass. Mrs Tricky explained that he turned up that morning and she felt the need to feed him and consequently go to the vets and spend £20 on flea gubbins as the twat 4 doors down seems to now be neglecting him, so tbh I fukin hope he feels sadness cos I'm a score down this week with another mouth to feed!!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I've read this over the past few days and it has really touched my heart... yes Im another cat lover and have had many of the little beauties myself and seen them die, and yes they definitely have emotions. You only have to watch the nature programmes and see when a lion or leopard or cheetah lose a cub and see how the parents search for them, they are all the same family. Having lived in London for 7 years and always in flats I have never felt easy about having an indoor cat, but I am going to take the plunge... wish me luck.

PS: This is one thread I would show to my friends that are cat lovers, I wouldn't show any other threads to people outside NSC!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
IT HAS BEEN PROVED DOGS HAVE A SENSE OF SADNESS AND KINDNESS BUT CATS ARE DIRECT DESCENDANTS FROM THE DEVIL HIMSELF AND AS A RESULT THEY WILL STEAL YOUR SOUL IF THEY LICK YOU.
PS IF YOU HAVE A CAT YOU WILL NOT ENTER THE GREAT DOG HOUSE IN THE SKY!(HEAVEN) FACT:moo:

Always one that cannot respect a certain thread, you prove yourself to be a complete and utter ****.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've read this over the past few days and it has really touched my heart... yes Im another cat lover and have had many of the little beauties myself and seen them die, and yes they definitely have emotions. You only have to watch the nature programmes and see when a lion or leopard or cheetah lose a cub and see how the parents search for them, they are all the same family. Having lived in London for 7 years and always in flats I have never felt easy about having an indoor cat, but I am going to take the plunge... wish me luck.

PS: This is one thread I would show to my friends that are cat lovers, I wouldn't show any other threads to people outside NSC!

Good luck squire, I'm very tempted to get an indoor cat as well. I went to see my cat yesterday at my mums and he miaowed sadly, sprinted over and jumped up onto my lap the moment I sat down. He'd been in a bit of a scrap with another cat from the look of it, and he's not a particularly handy scrapper!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes of course, but equally they live in the now and have shorter term memory and connections to things and thus unlikely to dwell on it

cats pidgeon hole memories they remember good and bad triggered by scent its true what you say about short term memory they are very pragmatic but if you have been good to them in the past they will remember that,not necessarily you personally but what you did for them.
I have known cats that hate just about everybody and everything but a stroke, nice words and one dry kibble and they will let you do anything to them but turn up to take them with shouting cat-traps and line hoops and you are likely to end up sucking your food through a straw for a few weeks.
I have only ever met one cat that would not be helped and that was big ginger Murphy 7 years we tried to trap,coax and tease him to come at least indoors to sleep but to no avail.
he walked off from the house one day after having his throat ripped so as we could see his windpipe and cheek ripped off by another cat in a fight fortunately we had some anti-biotics to give him in his food we were sure we would never see him again but just like the preverbial bad penny he turned up a few days later scabby but unbowed. this fighting left him blind in one eye and deaf on the same side he used to disappear for days at a time to visit his female friends in the villages around us other people tried to trap him he smashed his way out of a shed before we could go and try to get him in a basket.
he was never going to be caught without a fight

he died on the road along from us probably on his way to us for a meal hit by a car and died instantly
it still upsets me to think of him having to lead that lonely life all because his keeper could not be bothered to have him neutered and then moved away and left him with nothing.

Madam Cholet

Feb 29, 2012
I've read this over the past few days and it has really touched my heart... yes Im another cat lover and have had many of the little beauties myself and seen them die, and yes they definitely have emotions. You only have to watch the nature programmes and see when a lion or leopard or cheetah lose a cub and see how the parents search for them, they are all the same family. Having lived in London for 7 years and always in flats I have never felt easy about having an indoor cat, but I am going to take the plunge... wish me luck.lQUOTE]

I lived in a small flat and had two indoor cats who were fine - although I'm not sure I'd one indoor cat on its own as they do need interaction.

My last two cats were brother and sister and when the brother died at 15, my husband thought he should show the sister the body. He put her on the floor next to her brother and she sniffed a bit, stepped over him and went to eat her breakfast. As he had been a bit of a star, she very much enjoyed her own last couple of years being centre of attention.

Interestingly - and it's probably coincidence, either that or I'm a witch - we were moving house and our cats would going to be staying with a friend up north for three months which I know this particular cat would have hated, not least because of the four hour car journeys involved. I was petting her one day and suggested that, as much as I loved her, she might prefer to stay with her brother under the cherry in the garden rather than go through all that. Sure enough, a week before we moved, she died.

Dammit, I'm filling up now.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I've read this over the past few days and it has really touched my heart... yes Im another cat lover and have had many of the little beauties myself and seen them die, and yes they definitely have emotions. You only have to watch the nature programmes and see when a lion or leopard or cheetah lose a cub and see how the parents search for them, they are all the same family. Having lived in London for 7 years and always in flats I have never felt easy about having an indoor cat, but I am going to take the plunge... wish me luck.lQUOTE]

I lived in a small flat and had two indoor cats who were fine - although I'm not sure I'd one indoor cat on its own as they do need interaction.

My last two cats were brother and sister and when the brother died at 15, my husband thought he should show the sister the body. He put her on the floor next to her brother and she sniffed a bit, stepped over him and went to eat her breakfast. As he had been a bit of a star, she very much enjoyed her own last couple of years being centre of attention.

Interestingly - and it's probably coincidence, either that or I'm a witch - we were moving house and our cats would going to be staying with a friend up north for three months which I know this particular cat would have hated, not least because of the four hour car journeys involved. I was petting her one day and suggested that, as much as I loved her, she might prefer to stay with her brother under the cherry in the garden rather than go through all that. Sure enough, a week before we moved, she died.

Dammit, I'm filling up now.

"stepped over him and went to eat her breakfast"

made me smile, she is like most female cats and I would hazard a guess that she was thinking thats right go and leave me on my own we have 3 females and when the last one went Meggy grieved something rotten.
and when our Ginger Vincent went and I was about to bury him Kizzy arrived licked his foot that happened to be sticking out of the towel I buried him in went off crying and mourned for weeks she hated him with a vengence and they were either slapping one another or ignoring one another.
then we realised it was a hole in her life who now could she hate?
cats are the strangest beings large and small spose thats why I love them

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
"stepped over him and went to eat her breakfast"

made me smile, she is like most female cats and I would hazard a guess that she was thinking thats right go and leave me on my own we have 3 females and when the last one went Meggy grieved something rotten.
and when our Ginger Vincent went and I was about to bury him Kizzy arrived licked his foot that happened to be sticking out of the towel I buried him in went off crying and mourned for weeks she hated him with a vengence and they were either slapping one another or ignoring one another.
then we realised it was a hole in her life who now could she hate?
cats are the strangest beings large and small spose thats why I love them

Am looking at Norwegian Forests as we speak! Had one before, miserable bastard he was lol, but loved him... want another one.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here