Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Direct & General in Brighton - Anyone here work there?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I worked there when it was Inkfish. Worst company I've ever had the misfortune to work at. Management were the most pathetic bunch of retards I've ever met. There was one guy there called Stavros and he was a complete tool.

Lasted about 2 weeks before I was going around every agency begging for a different job.

I left there to work for L&G with [MENTION=2650]H2O[/MENTION] amongst others. Generally enjoyed my time there. Management are a lot more capable and there is no cold calling involved. Definitely have a look at the L&G website as there is real career potential there (plus I think half of NSC work there).

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I worked there when it was Inkfish. Worst company I've ever had the misfortune to work at. Management were the most pathetic bunch of retards I've ever met. There was one guy there called Stavros and he was a complete tool.

Lasted about 2 weeks before I was going around every agency begging for a different job.

I left there to work for L&G with [MENTION=2650]H2O[/MENTION] amongst others. Generally enjoyed my time there. Management are a lot more capable and there is no cold calling involved. Definitely have a look at the L&G website as there is real career potential there (plus I think half of NSC work there).

Cheer's [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION].

I'd love to get into L&G, and although they claim they're recruiting for claims handlers until the 14th Sept, it says that the application process is closed when you click on it :(

If any NSC'ers know who the supply agency for L&G are, please let me know!!!!

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ

I'd love to get into L&G, and although they claim they're recruiting for claims handlers until the 14th Sept, it says that the application process is closed when you click on it :(

Try to start in Protection New Business as a Service Consultant then move to claims after you've been there a while. Much easier route. The previously mention [MENTION=2650]H2O[/MENTION] may be able to help advise who the current agency is.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Pretty sure, they use Brighton and Hove Jobs, well they have their logo on the website.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I have no idea if you have experience of the in-bound or out/bound tele-sales or customer service type work, but if not and that's what you're trying to get into, then I'd say deciding against the D&G job was a mistake. Even if your objective is to get into somewhere like L&G or Qualifa, it would be worth getting some tele-sales training & experience to make your application stronger. There's a well-trodden path from D&G to the other (better regarded) phone-based jobs in Brighton, so it wouldn't be counted against you to be starting there and looking to move fairly quickly. As long as you were clear that you enjoyed the essence of the job, it's just the environment/culture you didn't like (make sure you state elements you know aren't the case at L&G), you would be fine.

Better to be in a job getting experience (& money), than being overly choosy...

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I have no idea if you have experience of the in-bound or out/bound tele-sales or customer service type work, but if not and that's what you're trying to get into, then I'd say deciding against the D&G job was a mistake. Even if your objective is to get into somewhere like L&G or Qualifa, it would be worth getting some tele-sales training & experience to make your application stronger. There's a well-trodden path from D&G to the other (better regarded) phone-based jobs in Brighton, so it wouldn't be counted against you to be starting there and looking to move fairly quickly. As long as you were clear that you enjoyed the essence of the job, it's just the environment/culture you didn't like (make sure you state elements you know aren't the case at L&G), you would be fine.

Better to be in a job getting experience (& money), than being overly choosy...

I have to point out that I am currently in a job similar, just on long term sick, and exploring my options on returning to work!!! I wouldn't dream of taking a job for money less than I am on now, with additional travel costs of almost double what I have been paying!!!! £13k to work in the centre of Brighton, with people telling you to f**k off all day is not what I would call advancing my career prospects!! :D

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I have to point out that I am currently in a job similar, just on long term sick, and exploring my options on returning to work!!! I wouldn't dream of taking a job for money less than I am on now, with additional travel costs of almost double what I have been paying!!!! £13k to work in the centre of Brighton, with people telling you to f**k off all day is not what I would call advancing my career prospects!! :D

Well, when you put it like THAT...! :)

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Try to start in Protection New Business as a Service Consultant then move to claims after you've been there a while. Much easier route. The previously mention [MENTION=2650]H2O[/MENTION] may be able to help advise who the current agency is.

We use a company/agency called Hyphen worthingite worth a look PM me if you see an L&G role on there and i might be able to tell you a little more about it. Woodchip used to work in my area as well until we shipped him out to our NZ office!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here