Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did we try to get Viktor Gyokeres back?

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Hopefully, we start pushing for buyback clauses when we let other prospects go.

I don't really like them in principle but everyone else is doing it.
Presumably the buyback clause is just with the club and the player could refuse to return. This makes me think they only really work for the biggest teams who can almost guarantee being a desirable option for any player.

el punal

We really did screw up here.
In retrospect maybe - and that’s a big maybe. I saw him play numerous times and he certainly had potential but was never the finished article. Had he been coached under RDZ and our present style of football it might have been a different story.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Presumably the buyback clause is just with the club and the player could refuse to return. This makes me think they only really work for the biggest teams who can almost guarantee being a desirable option for any player.

Yeah, the player would have to agree, of course. The things is we'd be rebuying the player on the cheap though whereas another club would have to pay full whack.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Yeah, the player would have to agree, of course. The things is we'd be rebuying the player on the cheap though whereas another club would have to pay full whack.
It depends on the terms of the buy back. There are two variations one allows the club to buy back at a set amount pre-agreed in the original sale. Obviously this works out great if the player really develops and you’ve agreed a low fee.

The other variant allows an agreement that you’ll match any accepted bid for the player. Obviously this suits the players current club more as they can hold out for more money.

Looking at the opening post the wording does seem to imply we may have had an agreement to match any deal Coventry accepted for the player but in this case Viktor refused a move back here and chose Sporting.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
It depends on the terms of the buy back. There are two variations one allows the club to buy back at a set amount pre-agreed in the original sale. Obviously this works out great if the player really develops and you’ve agreed a low fee.

The other variant allows an agreement that you’ll match any accepted bid for the player. Obviously this suits the players current club more as they can hold out for more money.

Looking at the opening post the wording does seem to imply we may have had an agreement to match any deal Coventry accepted for the player but in this case Viktor refused a move back here and chose Sporting.

Yeah, I'm talking about buybacks on future deals where I'd love pre-agreed fixed terms.

If such a deal ever kicked in, the other club would've had an excellent player for a year or two and turned a profit. Our player would've been developed to the extent they were top 10 PL ready. A win-win-win, isn't it?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hopefully, we start pushing for buyback clauses when we let other prospects go.

I don't really like them in principle but everyone else is doing it.
Everyone? Examples please? ???

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
All the players (5 was it?) Southampton picked up from Man City. The 2 players Villa sold last summer (Archer and Ramsey). Practically every youth teamer Madrid and Barcelona let go. The player Rangers signed from Bayern M last summer. Ake when he left Chelsea.

Here's some more (some may have been mentioned above) https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-10-players-buy-back-clauses-arsenal-chelsea-manchester-city
So everyone then. Ok.

As someone already pointed out. It only seems to be the elite teams that do it on rare occasions.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

This. I wouldn't have called the Gyokeres thing a buyback at all, it's just a first refusal clause. When Coventry decided to sell to Sporting and were ready to accept a bid, we were informed and asked if we wanted to match it. For a couple of reasons (price and what the player wanted) we decided not to. Had we decided to, and digged our heals in, we could have very easily stopped Gyokeres from becoming a Sporting player.

Real Madrid are the kings of clauses. They have first refusal on Martin Odeegard at Arsenal if they ever decide to sell. They also love a buyback clause. Look at the case of Mariano. Sold to Lyon for €8 million in 2017. Has a great season and loads of big clubs come sniffing around with talk of €35-40 million being the fee. Real Madrid activate the buyback clause at €23 million.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
For a couple of reasons (price and what the player wanted) we decided not to. Had we decided to, and digged our heals in, we could have very easily stopped Gyokeres from becoming a Sporting player.
You have completely made that up, contradicts what is reported in the article linked to in the opening post, and is factually incorrect.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
I remember him everyday becoming absolutely superb on an edition of Football Manager a few years, which I thought was very strange at the time (I think he was out on an extremely average loan spell IRL).

Lesson, clearly the recruitment team need to be playing more FM :-D

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
You have completely made that up, contradicts what is reported in the article linked to in the opening post, and is factually incorrect.
That's a very odd claim, for what is mostly a post saying that if we had first refusal (which we likely did according to the article when it says "purchase priority") then we could have stopped him from moving to Sporting. It would have been absolutely nuts if we had decided to force him to move back when we have a known sell on clause and the highest level he'd succeeded in was The Championship.

If you mean the bit about it not working out for both parties? I've not made that up at all. The club were interested, but not so interested they were willing to offer Gyokeres enough to turn his head and return to the Albion.

Absolutely nothing controversial or unknown in what I posted, or that contradicts anything in the original pro-Sporting report. Untwist your undies mate. (y)

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Arsenal / West Ham tug of war?

Not sure why anyone would have him over Toney?

Even if we wanted him back I don't think we could afford him if you believe the figures being quoted are to be believed. This ship has sailed.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I remember him everyday becoming absolutely superb on an edition of Football Manager a few years, which I thought was very strange at the time (I think he was out on an extremely average loan spell IRL).

Lesson, clearly the recruitment team need to be playing more FM :-D
I wonder if they’re still looking for To Madeira.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here