Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did we try to get Viktor Gyokeres back?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A report in Portugal suggests we did, which seems a bit of a surprise...

Viktor Gyokeres could have been diverted by Brighton in the final stretch of negotiations with Sporting. Maisfutebol found that the club of Italian coach Roberto de Zerbi decided to exercise the purchase priority of the Swedish striker, but the player decided to keep the word given to the lions.​
As soon as it received Sporting's official proposal of 20 million euros, with another four million euros in objectives, Coventry City promptly communicated to Brighton, thus fulfilling an agreement signed in 2021.​
Sixth in the last edition of the Premier League, the "seagulls" were really willing to cover the Leonine offer. However, he did not count on the position of Gyokeres, who, after some contacts with Ruben Amorim, already had a verbal agreement to play in Portugal.​

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Nah

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I can't imagine the club would not have considered it at all, but I can't imagine they would have pressed hard for it at this point, might be useful to have just let him know that they still like him and are watching.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ooo. We had a buyback clause.

I've never known us have one of those before.

We have truly made it.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Thank god it didn't happen. I remember the few games he played for us, looked absolutely dreadful. Made Aaron Connolly seem like Mbappe in comparison.

Fair enough if he's improved (would have been hard not to improve) but no thanks

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Thank god it didn't happen. I remember the few games he played for us, looked absolutely dreadful. Made Aaron Connolly seem like Mbappe in comparison.

Fair enough if he's improved (would have been hard not to improve) but no thanks
He did not look 'absolutely dreadful'. He looked promising in the few games I saw him in.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ask the agent-botherer or one of his mates. They seem to be well ITK and that...

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Speaking of Connolly, where is he at the moment. No signs of him in early season training?

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Speaking of Connolly, where is he at the moment. No signs of him in early season training?
Looking at his Instagram the other day he's not doing a lot, no change there then.

I imagine the club are trying to offload him however they can. But will there be any takers. He probably wants to see out the final year of the ridiculous contract he was given before he moves to League 1 or league 2 wages

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Absolutely! There are some really prattish comments on here. Naming no names, of course (but they will recognise who I'm talking about, and be righteously indignant about it) - but he was actually quite good!
Not only that, but he’s knuckled down and given it everything he’s got, taking himself to the best level he could achieve. Can’t ask for more than that, and - again - a salutary comparison with a certain other prospect.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Did 'we' f***

A !lad of old bullshit to make the club look smart blog guys.

Bullshit

...maybe Not

Maybe Bulllshit

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not convinced if fits the model to take a big loss like that

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Check out that loanee a few years ago at Millwall. Shite! What was his name? Oh yeah, Harry Kane.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here