Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Did we try to get Viktor Gyokeres back?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Speaking of Connolly, where is he at the moment. No signs of him in early season training?
At this precise moment probably in bed sleeping off last night’s Shooshh session.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
That's what thought..I was surprised we sold him and so cheaply.
He only had a year left on his contract when we sold him, had scored 3 goals in 30 Championship games and Coventry still paid £1m for him in a transfer window where 18 out of 24 Championship clubs spent less than £2m in total. I really think we got as much as we could for him.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Everton have been trying to sign him for months (according to the Liverpool Echo, so it's probably not true).

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don’t get it with Gyokeres. Good scoring record, yet every time I’ve watched him - granted only about half a dozen times - it’s been hard to see anything special. Obviously there’s a talent there and I’m an idiot, so good luck to him. Won’t break my heart that he didn’t return though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thank god it didn't happen. I remember the few games he played for us, looked absolutely dreadful. Made Aaron Connolly seem like Mbappe in comparison.

Fair enough if he's improved (would have been hard not to improve) but no thanks
It would indeed be foolish not to acklowledge the almost complete role reversal, in terms of being a valid striker! Nothing against Connolly either - genuinely hope he can get back to the levels he was at as PL2 player of the season (the whole of PL2 bot just Brighton'd best player in PL2).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don’t get it with Gyokeres. Good scoring record, yet every time I’ve watched him - granted only about half a dozen times - it’s been hard to see anything special. Obviously there’s a talent there and I’m an idiot, so good luck to him. Won’t break my heart that he didn’t return though.
No talent at all. Big lad, just puts himself about a bit. No skill. No idea why anybody would be interested really.

All he ever does of note is sort of lead the line and score goals. :shrug:

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No talent at at. Big lad, just puts himself about a bit. No skill. No idea why anybody would be interested really.

As I said, every time I watched him, he did f*** all. I obviously didn’t watch him enough.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Great goals tonight and everything he is about. Strong, awkward, super competitive. Sporting ended up winning 3-2, last minute winner.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
There will always be the odd one who gets away possibly like this. Even we aren’t perfect. There are dozens and dozens if not hundreds of players who we’ve let go for cheap / free over the last few years that haven’t got anywhere near our current standard on the other hand.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
As I said, every time I watched him, he did f*** all. I obviously didn’t watch him enough.
He barely played and was a kid. Not many young players can look world beaters with very little men’s football under their belt. He’s clearly got a lot about him and it’s a real shame we didn’t persevere even half as long as we did with Connolly.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
He barely played and was a kid. Not many young players can look world beaters with very little men’s football under their belt. He’s clearly got a lot about him and it’s a real shame we didn’t persevere even half as long as we did with Connolly.
Who's to say the player wanted to stay?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No talent at at. Big lad, just puts himself about a bit. No skill. No idea why anybody would be interested really.

Say what you like, that is one f**k of a debut!
Glad to see you absolutely on it! :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If we hadn’t have let him go, who knows is Evan Ferguson would have emerged as he had, given first team time would have been more limited I’d imagine. Football is butterfly effect personified.
Exactly.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I’m talking mainly about the times I watched Coventry games. Don’t think I ever saw him score - but obviously that was just unlucky timing, given his record.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here