Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the ref actually give that corner at the end?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is no reference to that situation in the interpretations either...as I said, it's up to the referee.

There are plenty of 'interpretations' that aren't referred to. The interpretations refer to excessive force or reckless challenges but doesn't give example. We all know that referees will be given instructions and guidance as to what the FA or Fifa deem to fall into those categories.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For what it's worth, the referee played four and a half minutes of stoppage time, having signalled four.

We wasted a minute of that, arsing around with the free kick. So, unfortunately, we can have no grounds for complaint whatsoever, as the officials played the time they indicated and more. We didn't make the most of it. End of.

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
Thought the ref was poor last night ian harte's time wasting was a joke even when they made that late sub the ref put arm round the reading player and walked him off should have just booked him. Jason roberts was clever though though flirting with the laws for most of the game but thats the sort of player that we need.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
But the referee tells the fourth official as occasionally you see him signal the amount of time with his fingers so the fourth official can put the board up.

The referee has sole discretion as to the timing of the game.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's because the Reading wall was about 3 yards away from the ball but the ref wasn't interested

Sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. Dicker intentionally delayed the kick despite 20,000 people screaming at him and the ref waving him on. He just stood there, making no sign that the wall wasn't far back enough.

He was trying to be clever and cost us a chance.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. Dicker intentionally delayed the kick despite 20,000 people screaming at him and the ref waving him on. He just stood there, making no sign that the wall wasn't far back enough.

Exactly, a professional footballer can lift a ball over a couple of players three yards away, even your average pub footballer could do that. They'd soon have moved back, and besides, if they had blocked the kick, it would have been retaken and they would have been booked.

Love Gary Dicker, but in the fourth minute of added time, that was bloody stupid of him.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Exactly this. Was so frustrating watching him just standing there wasting our own time!

Really don't think the ref was as bad as people are making out. He wasn't good, but he certainly wasn't the worst ref I've seen. The main decision I question is the CMS penalty shout in the first half that looked like a clear pen to me and a possible red card, haven't seen it again though.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Exactly this. Was so frustrating watching him just standing there wasting our own time!

I thought all the Albion players wanted Vicente to take the free-kick as it was in perfect range for the Dagger! But, Vicente didn't seem interested in taking it, even after Greer had tried to drag him out of the box to take it!! :mad: WTF was that all about!!?? He just went over to the other side of the box instead.

And why didn't Brezovan come up for it, and have ago in the box, as we seem to lack a bit of height up front! :lol:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Really don't think the ref was as bad as people are making out. He wasn't good, but he certainly wasn't the worst ref I've seen. The main decision I question is the CMS penalty shout in the first half that looked like a clear pen to me and a possible red card, haven't seen it again though.

how El Abd didn't get sent off I'll never know. Thought Roberts was very clever in getting Greer and El Abd booked early on. Some of our players still have a lot to learn re gamesmanship, tactics, etc.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I thought all the Albion players wanted Vicente to take the free-kick as it was in perfect range for the Dagger! But, Vicente didn't seem interested in taking it, even after Greer had tried to drag him out of the box to take it!! :mad: WTF was that all about!!?? He just went over to the other side of the box instead.

And why didn't Brezovan come up for it, and have ago in the box, as we seem to lack a bit of height up front! :lol:

he was on his way up the pitch for the corner.....

bhamex1901

Dec 20, 2010

From my view at the time a definite penalty. The referee got most decisions wrong both ways. Our penalty was not a foul but he only gave it because he knew Barnes had been clearly held in the box 5 seconds earlier. Worst refereeing performance I have seen all season ( I missed the Burnley game).

pea

Dec 28, 2011
North Laine
joke of a referee, got sweet-talked out of booking Roberts in the first half, then Buckley convinced him to book Harte for nothing on the basis that he had been persistently fouling, yet the ref hadn't given anything until that occassion. Then he got booed off the pitch at half time (rightly so) and came back on and didn't give a decision in Reading's favour for the whole second half, despite Roberts getting fouled all over the place, until the end of the game when he made that bizarre decision following our players protests. Chickened out of giving what looked like a clear penalty to you in both halves and then gave one for absolutely nothing because he felt bad about the others.

We might as well not have had a referee and had a clap-o-meter to decide each decision in the match tbh, absolutely useless referee who got influenced left, right and centre and seemed incapable of making a decision himself. The amount of times he didn't blow for blatant fouls first half (for both teams) that led to the other team having a counter-attack and could have cost the game was ridiculous.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Clive "the book" Thomas once blew for full time as the ball was in the air, from a corner. And it was headed in for a goal. Needless to say it was disallowed, as the game was over. Brazil v Sweeden in the 1982 World Cup I think.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Clive "the book" Thomas once blew for full time as the ball was in the air, from a corner. And it was headed in for a goal. Needless to say it was disallowed, as the game was over. Brazil v Sweeden in the 1982 World Cup I think.

Keep up at the back there. It was 1978 and already mentioned several pages back!!!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Maybe if we didnt fanny about (thanks dicker) at the free kick just before we may have had time to take the corner. just a thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here