Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the ref actually give that corner at the end?

Josimojo

Aug 4, 2011
Yep the ref gave the corner as he pointed to the corner flag, then before Lua Lua could get to the ball he blew the final whistle...

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I think one of his fellow officials probably told him what an OAF he'd been giving a corner in the first place and he decided to just put a stop to things. It typified his performance though. Idiotic and weak.

Dec 29, 2011
This. What was Dicker thinking? He seemed to be going mad the Charlie on the way down the tunnel so maybe there's more to it?

Something happened in the tunnel. I couldn't quite see it but all the Dev squad were leaning over, looking down the tunnel to try and see what was happening. I thought maybe things were getting heated between Reading + Brighton due to the circumstances of the final whistle.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Never seen it at a match ive been to before - surely there are grounds for a complaint to the FA (sure it wont affect anything but its an awful call by the referee - god knows what would of happened if we had a penalty instead - Vokes runs up....and theirs the whistle before he kicks the ball).

There is nothing in the laws of the game that says the ref has to wait for the ball to be in play for him to blow the whistle. The ref has total discretion about when to end the match - and really, if the 90 minutes was up on his watch, why should we have had a chance to score?

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
After 20 minutes It was clear to me that the ref had no control of the players or the game and Reading took full advantage. They wasted as much time as possible in order to slow the game down and frequently harassed the ref. Unfortunately this tactic seems to be quite effective against us.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is nothing in the laws of the game that says the ref has to wait for the ball to be in play for him to blow the whistle. The ref has total discretion about when to end the match - and really, if the 90 minutes was up on his watch, why should we have had a chance to score?

Thank you :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Never seen it at a match ive been to before - surely there are grounds for a complaint to the FA (sure it wont affect anything but its an awful call by the referee - god knows what would of happened if we had a penalty instead - Vokes runs up....and theirs the whistle before he kicks the ball).

Can't happen. A penalty awarded HAS to be allowed to be taken.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Does anyone remember 78 world cup When brazil scored a header from a corner on the 90th min only for ref pat partridge ( I think ) to disallow it coz he blew the second the player took the corner comical stuff

Ref was Clive Thomas.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
There's nothing to stop the ref blowing for full-time before a corner kick can be taken, but it rarely happens as most refs with any common sense would not award a corner if there was not going to be enough time to take it!

I've no idea why Dicker was faffing around with the free-kick. I know it was probably a little too far out but I really wish Vicente or Lua Lua had just had a crack. Even if they hadn't scored, it might have rebounded out to someone.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Gave the corner. Following criticism, thought he may have been wrong, so blew up before it was taken.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here