Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the ref actually give that corner at the end?

Dec 29, 2011
It wasn't even a corner anyway. Worst decision i've ever seen (over dramatic).

Also what about the Dicker freekick? Pump the ball into the box with seconds left don't square it. Set pieces need a lot of work.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Not a clear goal scoring opportunity id guess - despite the fact you could probably score from both. Surely an extra 5 seconds to take the corner would have been fine.
Because free kicks, goal kicks, corner kicks are just a normal part of play - they're not events in the game that a referee would add extra time on for. As I said earlier, the laws say it's entirely up to the referee's discretion when he ends the game. If he determined the 90 minutes was up when the ball was out of play for the corner, he is entitled to blow his whistle and end the game at that point. However, it is written into the laws of the game that extra time is to be allowed at the end of each half if a penalty is to be taken, and it is up to the referee to determine when the penalty is completed.

That said, in discussing this point, it does seem clear that the laws as they are written do result in a lot of inconsistency as to when the end of the match is declared. I wonder if other sports like hockey or basketball have a better system where the clock counts down to zero. At least that way everyone knows exactly how much time is left in the match.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
From Law 14..."Additional time is allowed for a penalty kick to be taken at the end of each half or at the end of periods of extra time."

What happens if the penalty is saved or hits the post but the rebound is scored?

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
What happens if the penalty is saved or hits the post but the rebound is scored?
It's up to the ref..."The referee decides when a penalty kick has been completed."

As I said in an earlier post, it seems there is so much room for inconsistency because of the discretionary powers given to the ref in these circumstances. Compare that with a short corner at the end of a hockey game...everyone knows the corner is over when the ball goes out of the circle becuase that's what it says in the rules. Or in a penalty shoot out the taker isn't allowed to try and score off a rebound - why would it be different in general play? I can't work out why the law would be written with such an obvious grey area in it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Don't know about the ref's discretion thing. I was always told the match would end once the forward motion of the ball has stopped so if it's saved or hits the post, you can't score from the rebound. More like a penalty shoot-out than a normal penalty.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Don't know about the ref's discretion thing. I was always told the match would end once the forward motion of the ball has stopped so if it's saved or hits the post, you can't score from the rebound. More like a penalty shoot-out than a normal penalty.

I agree that would make a lot more sense...but the phrase I quoted came straight from the FIFA website.

D

Deleted User X18H

The free kick looked like a training ground move to me. A little delay. El Abd and another create a diversion in the area - Dicker plays it short to Lua Lua or Vicente and in it goes.Or not!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The free kick looked like a training ground move to me. A little delay. El Abd and another create a diversion in the area - Dicker plays it short to Lua Lua or Vicente and in it goes.Or not!

It was a pretty good free-kick in theory. Lua lua was initially in acres of space but we just took far too long to make it happen. That's one of the things that just holds us back I think - so often the pass seems to be obvious, but we'll delay before doing it anyway. To b fair, it's much easier to spot the opportunity from my viewpoint in the stand...

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Was not a corner, but ref gave one. Reading players gave him aggravation, ref blows up before KLL takes it

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Firstly, seemed clear to me that Dicker took too long to take the free kick despite being allowed to by the ref. When the corner was awarded the ref decided there was no time left. However, my understanding was that following the moronic decision by Clive Thomas in the World Cup, the interpretation of the rules was to allow corners and free kicks in an attacking position to be played out. It's all well and good quoting the laws of the game but they don't include all the interpretations referred to. Dicker delaying reminded of how slow Kuipers used to be when we were chasing a game!!!

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
but...not having an 'end' to the game was shite. the players were so pissed off 'most' headed off straightaway...this was one match where the applause was richly deserved. reminded me of the old golden goal endings...oh, is it over?

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Firstly, seemed clear to me that Dicker took too long to take the free kick despite being allowed to by the ref. When the corner was awarded the ref decided there was no time left. However, my understanding was that following the moronic decision by Clive Thomas in the World Cup, the interpretation of the rules was to allow corners and free kicks in an attacking position to be played out. It's all well and good quoting the laws of the game but they don't include all the interpretations referred to. Dicker delaying reminded of how slow Kuipers used to be when we were chasing a game!!!

There is no reference to that situation in the interpretations either...as I said, it's up to the referee.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
forgetting how the ref made vicente (or was it dicker) wait at least a minute to take the free kick previous to the corner that never was. tool of the highest order.
Was Dicker.
He blew the whistle, Dicker shouted a bit and waved his arms round for about 40 seconds, then the ref was actually waving Dicker to take the thing for probably another 4o seconds. After our reluctance to take the free-kick you can't really blame him for giving us bonus time to take the corner

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Was Dicker.
He blew the whistle, Dicker shouted a bit and waved his arms round for about 40 seconds, then the ref was actually waving Dicker to take the thing for probably another 4o seconds. After our reluctance to take the free-kick you can't really blame him for giving us bonus time to take the corner

It's because the Reading wall was about 3 yards away from the ball but the ref wasn't interested

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here