Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did the ALBION win a cup or summit yesterday ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Kenhead said:
Rooney, Smith and Ferdinand?

Its just that Chelsea have done it on a much larger scale

But no European Cup wins, Liverpool are the only BIG English club in Europe.

United are revered as the club that everyone remembers for Munich. Chelsea have no European pedigree to talk about. Liverpool are the only club to consistently win cups in Europe and next week's final is a game to savour, even as a Brighton fan...imo like. I'm not ashamed to be impressed by them as an Albion fan but I certainly don't support them except on days like next week's final.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why should people bother their arses getting so het up about two corporate monoliths?

Being in a football shop, there's obviously a lot of football chat in here. There are some people who, after me telling them who I support are incredulous enough to ask 'but don't you have a Premiership team that you support...?' as if it's obligatory to have a top flight side to follow. I am often left scratching my head with this attitude.

And then you get to realise that it's in part down to the constant bombardment of images via obsessive promotions of glory and wealth and luxury and success - things that we must all aspire to at any cost - that the Premiership marketing machine wants you to buy into, making out that to not aspire to these qualities would imply a lack of ambition in your life. It kind of turns me off and pisses me off, to be honest.

If someone wants to have two teams to support, that's fine of course, and up to them, but unfortunately, there are plenty who come into the shop who cannot get their own minds beyond the fact that you don't have to have a second team, let alone that it must be a mega-rich, glory-hunting Premiership team.

Personally, I couldn't have given a monkey's who won yesterday's match - I just wanted to see a decent game of football. Unfortunately, but entirely predictably, we didn't get one.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:

Personally, I couldn't have given a monkey's who won yesterday's match - I just wanted to see a decent game of football. Unfortunately, but entirely predictably, we didn't get one.

I agree but I am in awe of the capabilities of Premiership players. I regularly think "what a shit pass" and then the player brings the ball down and does something with it with skills that I can only dream about from Albion players. It's our loss that we can't see players like that on a wet disappointing Saturday at Withdean but the days when we do pull off the unexpected, as we have on quite a few occasions probably make up for it. In the big picture we are pretty shit to watch week in week out though. Wouldn't it be great to be entertained most weekends rather than frustrated. I totally understand fans who prefer to be entertained rather than watch the shite we are so often served up, i just can't bring myself to go down that road though.:down:

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Icy Gull said:
I agree but I am in awe of the capabilities of Premiership players. I regularly think "what a shit pass" and then the player brings the ball down and does something with it with skills that I can only dream about from Albion players. It's our loss that we can't see players like that on a wet disappointing Saturday at Withdean but the days when we do pull off the unexpected, as we have on quite a few occasions probably make up for it. In the big picture we are pretty shit to watch week in week out though. Wouldn't it be great to be entertained most weekends rather than frustrated. I totally understand fans who prefer to be entertained rather than watch the shite we are so often served up, i just can't bring myself to go down that road though.:down:
Don't get me wrong - I loved to be entertained by watching excellent football. Manchester United's 7-1 demolition of Roma being a classic example.

I just can't get excited about pinning my colours to any given Premiership club's mast.

Albion Rob

For me, it is ashame that there are so many gloryu hunters about in sussex in general but then again, you get the same everywhere. There were plenty of Stokies who were crowing about Liverpool's 8-0 win at the Britannia Stadium while I was at uni up there.

I'm sure plenty of people in Darlington get hacked off with the amount of people who catch buses out of the town each week to head to St James Park and Doncaster fans who feel the same about Leeds (although, ironically, they're now the bigger club so not sure what will happen there).

If for some people, the football experience is all about watching a game on TV, being beamed from a 'home' ground you've never been to, or spending two hours getting to some godforsaken hole in North London so you can share jellied eels with Edmonton's finest, then fair enough but football for me is watching games with my mates, following a club I (used) to watch home and away and generally getting very excited about beating Northampton away. If I ever get to the point where I'm gutted we cam e second in the league and 'only' did the domestic cup double then I think I'll pack it in and watch Eastbourne Town because for me, football isn't really about the glory....

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:

I just can't get excited about pinning my colours to any given Premiership club's mast.

Not sporting ones obviously ;)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
RoyalAli said:

I go to the match because its sociable, whatever division we're in.
I can't speak for Sussex, but Reading is chocka with them. The amount of Chelsea and Arsenal fans swanning off to London at weekends is amazing, not to mention Spurs...

Even worse as you are a Premiership club who have had a great season.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
RoyalAli said:
The amount of Chelsea and Arsenal fans swanning off to London at weekends is amazing, not to mention Spurs...

I guess that's even more frustrating for you as Reading are now a Premiership side themselves.

Unlucky on just missing European football btw.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Each to their own aye?

Would have been nice if everybody in B&H was a BHAFC supporter, but the attendances at Withdean tell you otherwise.

And with the kind of canutes moving into town nowadays, it's a blessing that any of them are actually showing any kind of interest in football at all. At least while that's the case we stand a sporting chance of CONVERTING them, even if they're the deeply selfish sorts that will be cherry-picking Albion games in Champions League. 'FC Bremen? Nah, think I'll wait for the Real Madrid game'

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Doesn't overally bother me that people want to support premiership teams from the comfort of there armchair, as i generally have the better weekend away from work with away games. But i do get annoyed that they accually get pleasure out of there local teaming loseing so it means they can give me a bit of stick on a monday morning!

I have asked a couple of my Man U supporting mates that when they are on tele on a sunday why don't they come to withdean to watch a game, but general just get fobbed off with load of reasons why they can't make it

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
RoyalAli said:

I can't speak for Sussex, but Reading is chocka with them. The amount of Chelsea and Arsenal fans swanning off to London at weekends is amazing, not to mention Spurs...

Perhaps the Jetski is just too intimidating for them. :jester:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
RoyalAli said:
I go to the match because its sociable, whatever division we're in. I can't speak for Sussex, but Reading is chocka with them. The amount of Chelsea and Arsenal fans swanning off to London at weekends is amazing, not to mention Spurs...

Used to work in Reading. Always seemed to me to be solid Chelsea. But at least they were proper fans supporting their team from the stands. Supporting your local team is like soupporting your local Real ale IMHO. Not to everybody's taste. Always think that when Chelsea fans are pouring into Victoria station and heading towards the District Line of a weekday when Chelsea are at home. they're all relatively NORMAL. Just like me and you, they're supporting their team. Hardly THEIR fault they suddenly find themselves the second best team in England.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
RoyalAli said:
Great post.
One of my housemates claims he supports United, and when we played them in the cup somebody let me down over a ticket with 3 hours until Kick Off.
He got REALLY arsey with me when I didn't offer it to him, because he just doesn't understand that there is no way I was putting a United fan in the Reading end.

I go to the match because its sociable, whatever division we're in.

Hey, do you fancy getting some pizza some time?? You sound nice!

gts big bruv

Apr 15, 2004
Tavistock
Marc said:
Brighton fans shock as yet again they expect everyone in Sussex to be solely a BHA fan :yawn:

get over yourselves for f*** sake :shootself

well said i did not know it was compulsary to support Brighton if you lived in Sussex
In that case no one out side of sussex should support Brighton as they should support thier local side !!!:ohmy: :) :glare:

Albion Rob

gts big bruv said:
well said i did not know it was compulsary to support Brighton if you lived in Sussex
In that case no one out side of sussex should support Brighton as they should support thier local side !!!:ohmy: :) :glare:

I think the point being made was that it was as if Chelsea was in fact in Brighton.

Obviously there will be people who have moved to the town, got their allegiences through their family or simply prefer to support teams who they have no affiliation with but happen to win things.

I suppose it is indicative of how the access to so many matches through TV has made it easier to support a team from afar but as said, each to their own, not my cup oif tea but for the thousands of people in Sussex who saw their heroes win (and lose) on TV yesterday, it must have been a very nice experience.

They'll probably even get up to Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford to take the stadium tour over the summer - be nice for them to see the ground 'in the flesh'.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Albion Rob said:
I think the point being made was that it was as if Chelsea was in fact in Brighton.

Obviously there will be people who have moved to the town, got their allegiences through their family or simply prefer to support teams who they have no affiliation with but happen to win things.

I suppose it is indicative of how the access to so many matches through TV has made it easier to support a team from afar but as said, each to their own, not my cup oif tea but for the thousands of people in Sussex who saw their heroes win (and lose) on TV yesterday, it must have been a very nice experience.

They'll probably even get up to Stamford Bridge or Old Trafford to take the stadium tour over the summer - be nice for them to see the ground 'in the flesh'.

But what about the people FROM Brighton/Hove who choose not to support the Albion?

Are they scum?

My old man who is from Eastbourne grew up following Chelsea because at the time they played decent football. He also went to Spurs, Arsenal, Brighton and Bournemouth.

I don't understand this theory that everybody from Sussex should follow the Albion!!?!

The bottom line is at the moment unless you've got a family connection then you are not going to follow Brighton. We're not very good, we're playing in a shite division and it's not going to get you many cool points from your mates.

I wouldn't change supporting the Albion for anything, but some of you dimlows are unreal!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Arthur said:
But what about the people FROM Brighton/Hove who choose not to support the Albion?

Are they scum?

My old man who is from Eastbourne grew up following Chelsea because at the time they played decent football. He also went to Spurs, Arsenal, Brighton and Bournemouth.

I don't understand this theory that everybody from Sussex should follow the Albion!!?!

The bottom line is at the moment unless you've got a family connection then you are not going to follow Brighton. We're not very good, we're playing in a shite division and it's not going to get you many cool points from your mates.

I wouldn't change supporting the Albion for anything, but some of you dimlows are unreal!
There is some truth in what you say, but if you're going to go down that line you've got to be consistent. Firstly you can't moan at 'plastic' Man U fans from Hertfordshire - they're the same as your Dad. Secondly you can't moan about English people who support Brazil, Argentina or Germany. Why should they support a shit football team just because they had the misfortune to be born here? What's wrong with switching allegiance to a decent nation who play decent football?

I'm not having a go, I just think the whole 'who do you/should you support' debate is not straightforward. I'm sure some people would say "if you're born in England then you should support England and not pick some random nation just because they play good football and win trophies." Rightly or wrongly I feel exactly that way about Sussex people supporting 'big' clubs. Whatever the reasons the fact of the matter is it IS sad to see people of all ages walking round Brighton in Premiership tops.

BTW I'm not from this area. I grew up supporting Chelsea and Palace (mainly Chelsea, Palace to keep my Dad happy). My brother is a still a die-hard Chelsea fan who kept going even when they were in the old 2nd division. (But he's brought his son up as a Brighton fan!) My son is a Newcastle fan who goes to Brighton games under sufferance.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Arthur said:

Are they scum?

Can't see how not supporting your home team is justified because they're not very good. If you're Sussex born and bred and have no real London connections then supporting Chelsea is a bit strange if you ask me. But maybe I'm behind the times here and you should just support the best team in the country.

Of course Chelsea are a big club now and many people in Sussex support them. Nobody's saying that's wrong, but the amount of them (and the fact that they've only sprung up in the last 5 years) is as good a reason as any for an Albion fan to get annoyed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here