Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Dianne Abbott at the darts" / Antoine Griezzman fancy dress

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The two reports are at odds then. I must say though that a total figure of just 3000 abusive tweets for all Conservative female MPs in a six month period including an election year and where the Conservative leader is female is, shall we say surprisingly low.

Edit- I agree with you that she gets a lot of racially motivated abuse and it needs to stop.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
The two reports are at odds then. I must say though that a total figure of just 3000 abusive tweets for all Conservative female MPs in a six month period including an election year and where the Conservative leader is female is, shall we say surprisingly low.

Abusive is quite a wide term. Wonder if they would include a tweet with a picture of a white bloke boot polished up as abusive?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
As a Type 1 diabetic I can confirm that you are susceptible to hypos even if you are excellent at managing your glucose levels.

The taxi driver analogy is utter bollocks.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
To an extent you are right Mackenzie but, as I've tried to explain, think a bit more deeply about it and you should soon realise why it has caused outrage and why it is completely unacceptable in 2017 if we are to have a full functioning and vibrant democracy.

Research "blackface", try to imagine being black and/or female in our society, research "everyday racism" and "everyday sexism" and think about how different your life would be if you had to put up with that every day, and then sit down with a cup of tea and have a think about it.

Closing down voices through ridicule, abuse, and outmoded stereotypes is bad for everyone who values free speech and democracy.

Surely if you put yourself in the public gaze and screw up you could expect some ridicule whatever race, political party or any other label you care to add. I’m not condoning bullying or hatred towards anyone, but to me what this chap has done isn’t crime of the century.

Are the rules different for DA because she’s a black female? I don’t see much condemnation when someone rips the piss out of Boris or Trump.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Diane Abbott is an icon for Black women.

Bloody Hell, what a state they must be in... :lolol:

Adapted from a Jack Munroe blog -

“Diane was first elected as an MP in 1987, the year before I was born. She has been dedicated to serving the British public for longer than I have even been alive. Hold that thought. Understand it.
Diane was the first black woman to have a seat in the House of Commons. She MADE HISTORY. Her father was welder, her mother a nurse. How many working class kids do we have in politics these days?
Diane went to Cambridge University to study history. IN THE SEVENTIES. In 2017 only 15 black kids went to Cambridge. Sit down and listen.
Diane worked for the Home Office in 1976. She was so smart they put her on a course to fast-track her career. (I’m just getting started.)
Diane was Race Relations Officer at the National Council for Civil Liberties from 1978 to 1980. (Big ****ing job. Bet you couldn’t do it.)
Diane was a TV researcher and reporter from 1978 to 1985. I know a lot of those. They’re fast thinkers, avid fact hounds, brilliant minds.
Diane’s political career began in 1982, on Westminster City Council. Then in 1987, I’ll say it again, she became the first black female MP.

In 2008, her speech on civil liberties in the counterterrorism debate won Parliamentary Speech Of The Year in the Spectator awards.

That speech is here. Watch it, and then come back. https://t.co/qNMvtilMa1

She founded the Black Child initiative, to raise educational achievements among black kids. She shared her damn platform.

She’s been the Shadow Minister for Public health, working tirelessly to tackle Tory cuts to children’s services, maternity care, all of it.

In September 2011, the Telegraph called her ‘one of Labours best frontbench performers’. The same Telegraph now monsters her for clicks.”

I’m going to hazard a guess that that’s a whole lot more than you’ve achieved.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
And a sample of abuse she gets...

wp-1496847281919.png

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath

“Diane was first elected as an MP in 1987, the year before I was born. She has been dedicated to serving the British public for longer than I have even been alive. Hold that thought. Understand it.
Diane was the first black woman to have a seat in the House of Commons. She MADE HISTORY. Her father was welder, her mother a nurse. How many working class kids do we have in politics these days?
Diane went to Cambridge University to study history. IN THE SEVENTIES. In 2017 only 15 black kids went to Cambridge. Sit down and listen.
Diane worked for the Home Office in 1976. She was so smart they put her on a course to fast-track her career. (I’m just getting started.)
Diane was Race Relations Officer at the National Council for Civil Liberties from 1978 to 1980. (Big ****ing job. Bet you couldn’t do it.)
Diane was a TV researcher and reporter from 1978 to 1985. I know a lot of those. They’re fast thinkers, avid fact hounds, brilliant minds.
Diane’s political career began in 1982, on Westminster City Council. Then in 1987, I’ll say it again, she became the first black female MP.

In 2008, her speech on civil liberties in the counterterrorism debate won Parliamentary Speech Of The Year in the Spectator awards.

She founded the Black Child initiative, to raise educational achievements among black kids. She shared her damn platform.

She’s been the Shadow Minister for Public health, working tirelessly to tackle Tory cuts to children’s services, maternity care, all of it.

In September 2011, the Telegraph called her ‘one of Labours best frontbench performers’. The same Telegraph now monsters her for clicks.”

she should retired while she's ahead.
She wants to be carful who she is surporting as I feel this country if JC was in charge we will be more happy with being in bed with Putin having said that we got a problem the other way Trump.:laugh:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

https://andrewgilliganblog.wordpres...bott-backed-victory-for-the-ira-see-the-docum

e document

As part our ongoing investigation into the Labour leadership’s links with the IRA, The Sunday Times found that Diane Abbott explicitly backed victory for the IRA in an interview with a pro-republican journal.

Abbott, who will become home secretary if Labour wins the election, said in the 1984 interview that Ireland “is our struggle — every defeat of the British state is a victory for all of us. A defeat in Northern Ireland would be a defeat indeed.” She said she did not regard herself as British.

She endorsed violence, saying: “I am not saying that women are innately peaceful and non-violent and that we don’t fight back. Of course we do and should.”

She criticised Northern Ireland as an “enclave of white supremacist ideologies.” Asked about Labour’s official policy of seeking Unionist consent, she replied: “Oh God! There are so many analogies if only [Clive] Soley [Labour frontbench spokesman on Ireland at the time] would look at Britain’s colonial past… Should we have waited to win the consent of the white racists in Zimbabwe?”

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So why do are so many on NSC so frightened of an intelligent, articulate, assertive black woman that they have to resort to so much crude racist and sexist abuse towards her.

You can disagree with her politics as much as you like, but none of that excuses the bigoted, prejudiced bilge spouted on here. The OP should be ashamed for having provoked it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So why do are so many on NSC so frightened of an intelligent, articulate, assertive black woman that they have to resort to so much crude racist and sexist abuse towards her.

You can disagree with her politics as much as you like, but none of that excuses the bigoted, prejudiced bilge spouted on here. The OP should be ashamed for having provoked it.
I don't believe that she's above ridicule. Her intelligence, articulation, assertiveness, skin colour, sex or political stance don't really come into it.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
But in this case Dianne Abbot is being ridiculed for her stupidity not her colour.

I don't think the intentions of the person matter in this case. It's uncomfortably close to the truth of what used to regularly happen to black people (blackface being used to mock a black person). Not that long ago either - there's still black people alive today who will remember how blackface was commonly used. Casual racism ("banter") is still very much alive in this country.

I remain surprised by the responses in this thread. The ignorance is strong. I do agree that there's too much PC at times, but I don't think saying blackface is wrong is an example of that.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Her intelligence and articulation don't really come across in the LBC Interview do they?

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
seagulls4ever;8247546I said:
I remain surprised by the responses in this thread. The ignorance is strong. I do agree that there's too much PC at times, but I don't think saying blackface is wrong is an example of that.
Just come back from the pub and was making the exact same comment to some mates. It's quite an eye opener coming on here. I'm proud to live in Brighton and Hove, a city that is generally enlightened compared with many places. And yet reading all the comments in this thread it's clear there's a lot of confusion about what is so offensive about blackface, aligned to the same old cliched bollocks that racist and sexist abuse "is only banter" etc etc.

That's white male privilege I suppose, combined with an inability to imagine how the world looks if you're routinely subjected to prejudice, abuse and hostility.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Just come back from the pub and was making the exact same comment to some mates. It's quite an eye opener coming on here. I'm proud to live in Brighton and Hove, a city that is generally enlightened compared with many places. And yet reading all the comments in this thread it's clear there's a lot of confusion about what is so offensive about blackface, aligned to the same old cliched bollocks that racist and sexist abuse "is only banter" etc etc.

That's white male privilege I suppose, combined with an inability to imagine how the world looks if you're routinely subjected to prejudice, abuse and hostility.

No confusion, she is not up to the job and needs calling out, incidentally I feel the same about David Davis so presumably I am prejudiced against white middle class Tory men as well...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here