Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Dianne Abbott at the darts" / Antoine Griezzman fancy dress

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Well there's a difference between what you do on primetime TV and at parties.
Indeed there is, but you didn't afford the bloke in the darts audience that distinction - he's just a racist tosser according to some people on here.

As an aside, I was thinking the other day about Simon Pegg using "Gay!" as an insult (to mean 'lame') in Shaun of the Dead (or was it Hot Fuzz?). There's no way he'd do that today.
Yeah this is a good example of prevailing attitudes changing in a fairly short space of time. That said, if I heard someone use that term now in the same context I would probably squirm uncomfortably but ultimately not accuse him of being a bigoted tit, which is what so many people are prepared to do to this darts guy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I wouldn't disagree. It's still a change.
Fair enough but I don't follow your argument that we used to laugh at the racists and Brexit has confirmed that they do behave in the way we mocked therefore we can't laugh at them anymore in the same way.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Indeed there is, but you didn't afford the bloke in the darts audience that distinction - he's just a racist tosser according to some people on here.

Huh? I'm not saying anything goes at parties. Walliams was heavily criticised for this Kim Jong-un outfit.

I wouldn't dress up as a Nazi, Maddie McCann or Ched Evans - but some idiots do.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Having been to a few darts contests in my time, trust me this would have been one of the less offensive things to have occurred.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having been to a few darts contests in my time, trust me this would have been one of the less offensive things to have occurred.

Spill the beans!

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I don't see a problem with blacking up
And you are black?

If so, fair enough.

If not, then that you should probably think about it a bit more deeply.

Instead of asking what's wrong with it - try this question, what's right about it? There is no credible answer to this question.

Bear in mind, blackface went hand-in-glove with day to day hateful and discriminatory treatment. I'm old enough to remember the 1970s when the B&W Minstrel show was on the air, when Jim Davidson routinely portrayed black people and Irish people as thick and ignorant, when Love Thy Neighbour, Mind Your Language were deemed acceptable mainstream TV "entertainment". Listen to black people talk about growing up in that environment and think about what it would be like to be in their shoes.

Blackface reinforces the idea that black people are appropriate targets of ridicule and mockery and reminds us of stereotypes about black criminality. Stereotypes that still inform implicit bias and discriminatory treatment in job recruitment and policing.

I hope that goes some way to explain why blacking up, no matter what the intent of the person doing it is....

demeaning black people as a race

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
And you are black?

If so, fair enough.

Instead of asking what's wrong with it - try this question, what's right about it? There is no credible answer to this question.

Bear in mind, blackface went hand-in-glove with day to day hateful and discriminatory treatment. I'm old enough to remember the 1970s when the B&W Minstrel show was on the air, when Jim Davidson routinely portrayed black people and Irish people as thick and ignorant, when Love Thy Neighbour, Mind Your Language were deemed acceptable mainstream TV "entertainment". Listen to black people talk about growing up in that environment and think about what it would be like to be in their shoes.

Blackface reinforces the idea that black people are appropriate targets of ridicule and mockery and reminds us of stereotypes about black criminality. Stereotypes that still inform implicit bias and discriminatory treatment in job recruitment and policing.

I hope that goes some way to explain why blacking up, no matter what the intent of the person doing it is....
He’s dressed up as Diane Abbott, a black woman, to take the piss out of Diane Abbott. Nothing else.

Surely everyone finds her ridiculous?

Jan 30, 2008
And you are black?

If so, fair enough.

no one had a problem with it back then , DID YOU HEAR ANY BLACK PEOPLE VOICING CONCERNS AT THE TIME ?
regards
DR

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
He’s dressed up as Diane Abbott, a black woman, to take the piss out of Diane Abbott. Nothing else.

Surely everyone finds her ridiculous?
If everyone found her ridiculous she would not have elected MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington at every election since 1987....amongst her many other career achievements

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
DID YOU HEAR ANY BLACK PEOPLE VOICING CONCERNS AT THE TIME?
I did not - but I have listened to many accounts by black people who grew up in that environment in the subsequent years, and then thought about what I had heard

I have taken time to understand why blackface is deeply offensive to black people. Just google "blackface" and think about it. Anyone who takes the time and trouble to research the history and then think about would come to a similar conclusion.

Unless of course they were racist, or lacking in empathy.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
A very good starting point for anyone genuinely interested in the topic (and bringing it back to BHAFC) should read....

Leroy.jpg
'It's Only Banter': The Autobiography of Leroy Rosenior

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Only-B...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1785312081

It answers this question...
DID YOU HEAR ANY BLACK PEOPLE VOICING CONCERNS AT THE TIME?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Maybe if you took time out to research her achievements instead of going down the Daily Mail hatred line you may form a different opinion ???
I don't hate her, I've not met her, but I have watched her interview with Nick Ferrari which for a politician in such a lofty position was ridiculous.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I don't hate her, I've not met her, but I have watched her interview with Nick Ferrari which for a politician in such a lofty position was ridiculous.
To what extent do you think it's "ridiculous" that she attracts 45% of all abuse on Twitter aimed at MPs?

To what extent do you think it's "ridiculous" that in 2017 she receives stuff like this: “Pathetic useless fat black piece of shit Abbott. Just a piece of pig shit pond slime who should be ****ing hung (if they could find a tree big enough to take the fat bitch’s weight”)"?

To what extent do you think it's "ridiculous" that this is typical of what she receives on Twitter?...

abbott-abuse.png

^ To what extent does she gets more of this type of abuse than any other MP because she's black and because she's female?

By apologising the original incident, or dismissing it as merely banter, or just a joke, or harmless fun, in a small way you contribute to the culture that encourages abuse of women and minorities - and that is clearly something that should concern everyone who values freedom and equality. Democracy is strengthened when everyone in our community can represent us, and more importantly represent us without fear of abuse or hate. Pretty obvious isn't it?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
To what extent do you think it's "ridiculous" that she attracts 45% of all abuse on Twitter aimed at MPs?

To what extent do you think it's "ridiculous" that in 2017 she receives stuff like this: “Pathetic useless fat black piece of shit Abbott. Just a piece of pig shit pond slime who should be ****ing hung (if they could find a tree big enough to take the fat bitch’s weight”)"?

To what extent do you think it's "ridiculous" that this is typical of what she receives on Twitter?...

View attachment 92107

^ To what extent does she gets more of this type of abuse than any other MP because she's black and because she's female?

By apologising the original incident, or dismissing it as merely banter, or just a joke, or harmless fun, in a small way you contribute to the culture that encourages abuse of women and minorities - and that is clearly something that should concern everyone who values freedom and equality. Democracy is strengthened when everyone in our community can represent us, and more importantly represent us without fear of abuse or hate. Pretty obvious isn't it?
She does not attract 45% of all abuse to MPs on Twitter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here