Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Dianne Abbott at the darts" / Antoine Griezzman fancy dress

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I see the usual neanderthals are out, enjoying the black and white minstrel show.

It was crap in the 1970s and it isn't any more acceptable now.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I always quite enjoy these threads in the end. I disappear at number of posters views but then take comfort in the fact I am simply a better person than them.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
hahahahahaha medical condition you actually believe that bollox or are recycling it in the hope that others do ? im not disputing she is diabetic , but that wasnt the reason for her mistake (s)

Having some experience of the condition myself, the interview where she made a complete bollox of police numbers, it was classic hypoglycaemia, cos, you can't get your head round what you are trying to say, it's like the thinking bit of your brain has knocked off early and gone home , and left your tongue in charge of thinking.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
hahahahahaha medical condition you actually believe that bollox or are recycling it in the hope that others do ? im not disputing she is diabetic , but that wasnt the reason for her mistake (s)

Agree. If her mind melt was due to diabetes, then she is a liability for appearing on TV without having managed her health. A taxi driver wouldn't go to work in hypoglycaemia, at risk of a crash. If she went to work in that state, at her age, with a lifetime of insight into her own health, I'd say she was a fool. But I happen to not belive this. I have a type 1 diabetic colleague who has been nothing but on the ball and professional every scond I have known him. Is he so much smarter than this MP? No. I think she is a liar, not a fool. Anyway, what's the difference? She is either a liar or a fool. Not fit for front bench politics :shrug:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Agree. If her mind melt was due to diabetes, then she is a liability for appearing on TV without having managed her health. A taxi driver wouldn't go to work in hypoglycaemia, at risk of a crash. If she went to work in that state, at her age, with a lifetime of insight into her own health, I'd say she was a fool. But I happen to not belive this. I have a type 1 diabetic colleague who has been nothing but on the ball and professional every scond I have known him. Is he so much smarter than this MP? No. I think she is a liar, not a fool. Anyway, what's the difference? She is either a liar or a fool. Not fit for front bench politics :shrug:

So are you seriously suggesting that any type 1 diabetic that experiences a hypo in a professional setting is a fool?

I'm not about to start defending Diane Abbot as I have no idea whether she really experienced a hypo during that interview or not, but either way, she wouldn't have "went to work in that state" :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So are you seriously suggesting that any type 1 diabetic that experiences a hypo in a professional setting is a fool?

I'm not about to start defending Diane Abbot as I have no idea whether she really experienced a hypo during that interview or not, but either way, she wouldn't have "went to work in that state" :facepalm:

No. I am suggesting that DA is either a fool or a liar (and my money is on the latter).

And she is on the tellybox again now.....

Withdean

Nov 5, 2017
Anytime I see/hear DA it makes my skin crawl....she is the most self satisfied vacuous pol ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't see a problem with blacking up, if you're not demeaning black people as a race. And I assume he wasn't doing that, so I don't see the problem.

Harry Enfield blacked up to be Nelson Mandela, David Wulliams blacked up to be a fat black lady, both fine as far as I know.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One of her old tweets ... a bit racist?

original

"And always remember, kids, the basic premise that adding a wrong to a wrong automatically makes a right."

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Anyone looking at this image on first impression would see he was doing a caricature of Diane Abbot and it worked and at that point the analysis should stop because you will always see something that offends if you look closely enough. take it for what it was a poke at Abbot.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I don't see a problem with blacking up, if you're not demeaning black people as a race. And I assume he wasn't doing that, so I don't see the problem.

Harry Enfield blacked up to be Nelson Mandela, David Wulliams blacked up to be a fat black lady, both fine as far as I know.

You're referencing dated comedy shows. Even the Little Britain stars have moved on in the last decade...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...britain-remake-would-not-play-black-character

Well, one of them...

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/...ce-kim-jongun-halloween-costume-a3673426.html

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anytime I see/hear DA it makes my skin crawl....she is the most self satisfied vacuous pol ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you spent you life as a class warrior then defended sending your kid to private school as a 'private matter' you'd sound a bit peculiar, too. She sounds to me like someone playing 'defend the indefensible' on fighting talk.

I happen to know someone in my work context who is now championing an improvement in how certain things are done, despite having spent a lifetime breaking all the rules that the new initiatives are meant to fix. She sounds exactly like DA when she talks; the same tortured inflexions and defensive/aggressive mannerisms.

I can understand people doing what is necessary to get on in life and put food on the table, but not when you select a career that is all about making a difference to people. You need to be, above all, not a flagrant hypocrite, and denier of provable facts. In both examples I see this on a daily basis, and in both cases it leaves me baffled that those who make the appointments feel the person is the best for the job. I find it mind boggling.

Perhaps I should migrate this reply to the bell cheeses at work thread :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're referencing dated comedy shows.
Little Britain isn't that old, what's happened since then to change things?
Even the Little Britain stars have moved on in the last decade...

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...britain-remake-would-not-play-black-character
Just because he says he wouldn't, doesn't mean he wouldn't. He claims he would do something that might offend people - what a load of crap, of course he would. Comedy regularly pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable and makes people think.

What's the alternative, are we suggesting in a show like LB that the actors are only allowed to dress up as middle-aged men?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Little Britain isn't that old, what's happened since then to change things?

The world has moved on.

(Same-sex marriage has been legalised since LB too, of course)

Just because he says he wouldn't, doesn't mean he wouldn't. He claims he would do something that might offend people - what a load of crap, of course he would. Comedy regularly pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable and makes people think.

What's the alternative, are we suggesting in a show like LB that the actors are only allowed to dress up as middle-aged men?

I really don't think Little Britain would be aired now. Certainly not on primetime.

You were supposed to laugh at the ridiculousness of the bigots, racists etc.

In the post-Brexit era, it's pretty obvious that many people in Britain actually think like that. :facepalm:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So they haven't then.

Well there's a difference between what you do on primetime TV and at parties.

As an aside, I was thinking the other day about Simon Pegg using "Gay!" as an insult (to mean 'lame') in Shaun of the Dead (or was it Hot Fuzz?). There's no way he'd do that today.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The world has moved on.

(Same-sex marriage has been legalised since LB too, of course)

I really don't think Little Britain would be aired now. Certainly not on primetime.

You were supposed to laugh at the ridiculousness of the bigots, racists etc.

In the post-Brexit era, it's pretty obvious that many people in Britain actually think like that. :facepalm:
Sorry but that's rubbish. What has changed, and a lot of comedians have said this, is that modern sensibilities are far more sensitive and offence is taken much more often.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
What has changed, and a lot of comedians have said this, is that modern sensibilities are far more sensitive and offence is taken much more often.

I wouldn't disagree. It's still a change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here