Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby land James Wilson

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Was brilliant at Derby and QPR early on. Then faded badly. Was he ill? Who knows? But I think it is quite telling that CH doesn't appear to have made any effort to get him back despite him clearly being available for most of the summer. Either he has someone else lined up or he didn't rate him. I suspect the latter...

Previously I've bought into the he was ill view but I think this suggests that wasn't the case...

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I reckon he could turn out to be a very good signing for Derby. Whatever went wrong last season, those first few games for Brighton showed that he has the potential to be a classy footballer. With a run of games, he could fill his boots for Derby.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Why does everybody keep going on about his "illness" as an excuse for his poor and infrequent performances at Brighton (sorry I mean Albion)? The fact is he is not a very good player, as will be proven in the coming weeks with his loan move to Derby.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Didn't give a shit? Really? We were down to ten men against Boro and, although I thought we were doing very well in midfield, there wasn't much service to anyone up front. Anybody in his position would have relished the chance to go down in a club's history by being the one that scored the goal that got them promoted but he didn't get any service around the box - in fact he spent a lot of time tracking back! But you'll no doubt disagree but I saw every game he played for us and saw enough to think he was worth bringing back. As for Mourinho he has plenty of options in attack now and has decided to sell quite a number of players. Thus far Wilson isn't one of them so he must feel another loan to a team that will present a decent challenge will do him good. I don't remember him wandering aimlessly around in the last minutes v Derby

I wouldn't go as far as "didn't give a shit", but he was never carrying the same motivation as the other players, and THAT SHOWED. He knew he was back off to OT at the end of the season, so whether we succeeded or failed it was not, ultimately, any skin off his nose. We have a tight-knit group of players here, and I never got the impression that Wilson was fully engaged with that. The rest of the team as a collective were running through brick walls to keep in contention till that final day - but not Wilson. If he WAS, then he would have been in the side ahead of Baldock all day long, because he is a FAR more talented player. But he didn't have the same attitude or work ethic as Baldock, and if that wasn't blatantly obvious to you (as it clearly was to CH), then I dunno what you were watching.

As for his prospects at United - if Mourinho EVER starts Wilson in a Premier League match, then you can bounce this thread right up my arse and give me the finger. But I'm more than confident that ain't gonna happen.

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
How is that a fact? You're talking shit.

He WAS a very good player the first few games, and his dip in form is exactly why people find excuses for him.

We should have sent him back to United as soon as he contracted his "illness" just before Christmas. His performances were inept even before he became "ill". I've been supporting Brighton long since before you were born sunshine and I've never seen a player duck out of EVERY 50/50 header like he does. Woeful.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Returned to Man Utd after sustaining a "significant" knee injury in training.

He has the same luck as Will Hoskins.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bullet dodged.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We should have sent him back to United as soon as he contracted his "illness" just before Christmas. His performances were inept even before he became "ill". I've been supporting Brighton long since before you were born sunshine and I've never seen a player duck out of EVERY 50/50 header like he does. Woeful.

What about Harley, Gardner, Codner to name but a few. All of those ducked out of as many if not more.

My memory is that Wilson scored some well taken goals before succumbing to illness/nerves.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sad to see the criticism of this player. He scored 5 goals for us, the one against Charlton showed his talent, the one against Huddersfield showed commitment. Not sure why people are relishing in his his' problem'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did nowhere near enough in his time here to justify another spell, so I was relieved CH didn't give him a second glance in the summer. 4 appearances 0 goals at Derby, although obviously he's not had much chance to make an impression there either. I think at best he'll be a journeyman striker, and will probably end up at a middling Championship club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here