Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby and Fulham bid for Dunk [+ Newcastle now interested]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes. Agreed. We've sold some players. Some of these were young, and good. Some of these are now having impressive careers. A tiny few have played in the Premier League. But you said "just about every good young player" has been sold. They haven't. Unless you think March, Walton, Ince, Lua Lua and JFC should have no further future at the club and aren't "good" . And as of today we haven't sold Lewis Dunk.

The thread title is about Dunk being sold, and the issue is whether it is better to cash in on your best young players and rebuild, or try and keep them. My point is that where meaningful cash has been attainable the club - for whatever reason - have cashed in most of the time. In order to get meaningful cash you have to deliver as a first team player consistently or, like Gareth Barry, be some sort of child prodigy.

Any side buying any of the five you've named would be taking a punt. I agree that four of them have potential and we must keep them because they've all shown they're capable of playing and competing in this division, the question is whether they're the real deal. The problem has been that when a player shows he IS the real deal he normally gets sold.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
My point is that where meaningful cash has been attainable the club - for whatever reason - have cashed in most of the time.
Any side buying any of the five you've named would be taking a punt. I agree that four of them have potential and we must keep them because they've all shown they're capable of playing and competing in this division, the question is whether they're the real deal. The problem has been that when a player shows he IS the real deal he normally gets sold.

JFC, Ince and Dunk have all played for the Albion regularly for 2 or 3 years and have nearly 200+ appearances in total and are all still in their early 20s.
Two of them are u21 England Internationals. We didn't sell them (or try to sell them) in Jan 2014, last summer, last January and we obviously think they must be the real deal as we wouldn't have upgraded them all relatively recently to new(ish) expensive long term contracts.

If the club really did "cash in" "most of the time" on its young players, then they'd no longer be here. But they are.

Of course we have and will no doubt continue to sell players to the Premier League if clubs come sniffing. Its almost impossible to compete given the gulf in revenues. But sell "most" of our young players" - "most of the time" - not yet thankfully.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm not saying we're selling most of our young players, just the ones that have shown top level consistency. If you're being brutally honest - and I mean brutal - then neither KLL or JFC look like becoming top players, while Ince has to be disappointed with himself that he didn't nail down a starting XI spot this season. The jury's out on March and Walton.

They have youth on their side, I definitely want to see more of Walton, March, Ince and Dunk playing for the Albion, I'm a bit 'meh' about KLL and JFC.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ha! Just a turn of phrase. FWIW I don't think we will sell Lewis Dunk this summer. He's unlikely to attract firm Premier League interest at a price where it would make sense to sell.
And I don't think we would sell (and i can't foresee him wanting to go) to a Champ Club.

But as for worrying about players attracting interest and paper transfer talk. This is a good thing. Its only when you don't have players that clubs are sniffing around that you should start to worry and fret ..

I suspect you're right, but if:
-- a PL club comes in with a decent price, and he wants to go, he's gone
-- a Championship club buys him, then I might have to join the gloomy gang

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not saying we're selling most of our young players, just the ones that have shown top level consistency. If you're being brutally honest - and I mean brutal - then neither KLL or JFC look like becoming top players, while Ince has to be disappointed with himself that he didn't nail down a starting XI spot this season. The jury's out on March and Walton.

They have youth on their side, I definitely want to see more of Walton, March, Ince and Dunk playing for the Albion, I'm a bit 'meh' about KLL and JFC.

Gotcha. So its now [we sell] "most of our good young players but only those who've shown "top level consistency" -and all the young players currently in the first team squad such as Ince, KLL, Dunk, March, Walton, JFC, March haven't done that despite playing 200+ times for the club and for England etc and the club thinking they're ok enough to be given long term contracts "

fair enough.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gotcha. So its now [we sell] "most of our good young players but only those who've shown "top level consistency" -and all the young players currently in the first team squad such as Ince, KLL, Dunk, March, Walton, JFC, March haven't done that despite playing 200+ times for the club and for England etc and the club thinking they're ok enough to be given long term contracts "

fair enough.

We finished 20th in the Championship but you're making these kids sound like the Southampton vintage of 2013/14.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We finished 20th in the Championship but you're making these kids sound like the Southampton vintage of 2013/14.

Ha ! I'm just arguing that we haven't sold em. I didn't know it was because it was only if they were as good as Luke Shaw we would sell em. In which case i suppose they aren't and thus we haven't.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sheffield Wednesday, good grief shows what over clubs think of the level we are at.

You can't blame Sheffield Wednesday :lolol: , they've got big ideas after finishing above us in the league :wink:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seems Sheffield Wednesday arn't "relaxing" or waiting until July 1st to try and sign any players.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Seems Sheffield Wednesday arn't "relaxing" or waiting until July 1st to try and sign any players.

Too ****ing right. We need to get a wiggle on this summer...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I don't mean to sound all grammar police but judging by that tweet I would doubt the validity of the source.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I doubt we will hear anything concrete until a deal is done as we like to keep things as quiet as possible. It seems the moment we have a declared interest in a player they somehow end up somewhere else as we get gazumped on the deal.

So expect plenty of frustration with the radio silence, and then more when you are underwhelmed by any announcement.

FWIW I have a gut feeling we'll pick up one or two early signings to complement the inevitable last minute deals.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Newcastle sniffing around now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here