Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby and Fulham bid for Dunk [+ Newcastle now interested]

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I read somewhere that the club agree with you and have placed a 5million price tag on Dunk.

he is worth every penny goal scoring C/H a bit rough round the edges but young

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
he is worth every penny goal scoring C/H a bit rough round the edges but young

Not a chance. Poor concentration, wanders out of position, defends on his heels, at times reckless with his challenges.

Has age on his side, but some of the above should be natural attributes.

For me, this is his level.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know our club is professional, but I just want to know that they replied to Derby with nothing more than 'lol'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we can't compete on transfer fees or wages, and we can't hang on to our best academy players then how will we ever get promoted?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If we can't compete on transfer fees or wages, and we can't hang on to our best academy players then how will we ever get promoted?

Selling a player for a good fee in order to build a team can get you promoted.

We fall down by not re-investing the whole fee in the squad ( see the Ulloa transfer that should have provided enough funds to take us up a league ).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Southampton have been selling good academy players for a long time. The trick is to reinvest the money wisely and produce more good players.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Southampton have been selling good academy players for a long time. The trick is to reinvest the money wisely and produce more good players.

No, the reality is Southampton only sell about 1 in 3 of their decent academy players. They still keep 2 out of 3, hence they succeed. We've sold just about every good young player we've had in the last 4 years - I realise they're not all academy players but they're all players we've developed - Hall, Elphick, Cook, Bennett, Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes, Noone.

I'm also pretty sure Southampton were able to pay higher wages than us while they were in the lower divisions too, thus making it easier to recruit and replace.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, the reality is Southampton only sell about 1 in 3 of their decent academy players. They still keep 2 out of 3, hence they succeed. We've sold just about every good young player we've had in the last 4 years - I realise they're not all academy players but they're all players we've developed - Hall, Elphick, Cook, Bennett, Bridcutt, Buckley, Barnes, Noone.

I'm also pretty sure Southampton were able to pay higher wages than us while they were in the lower divisions too, thus making it easier to recruit and replace.

Those youngsters who have done well had one thing in common. A manager who spotted their potential (apart from Cook who went for different reasons) and developed their potential.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We've sold just about every good young player we've had in the last 4 years

Apart from Dunk, March, Lua Lua, JFC, Rea, Walton, and Ince* All of whom are on extended contracts , most of which they've signed in the last 6 months and are all "good young players" on anyones definition even if some on here think they're bobbins. .
*3 u21 England Internationals, 1 Eng u20 international and 1 Rep of Ire U21 international.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Apart from Dunk, March, Lua Lua, JFC, Rea, Walton, and Ince* All of whom are on extended contracts , most of which they've signed in the last 6 months and are all "good young players" on anyones definition even if some on here think they're bobbins. .
*3 u21 England Internationals, 1 Eng u20 international and 1 Rep of Ire U21 international.

Apart from Dunk none of the others are guaranteed regular first team players in what is a relatively weak Albion side. Compare that to the 8 that I named, 5 of whom have played in the Prem, 2 are about to with Bournemouth and the other has been contracted to a Premier League club for the last 3 years.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not a chance. Poor concentration, wanders out of position, defends on his heels, at times reckless with his challenges.

Has age on his side, but some of the above should be natural attributes.

For me, this is his level.

I agree that he has these faults, but they can be coached out of him. He also has a number of attributes: reads the game well; excellent tackler; excellent header of the ball at both ends of the pitch; scores goals; impressive distribution for a CB.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Apart from Dunk none of the others are guaranteed regular first team players in what is a relatively weak Albion side. Compare that to the 8 that I named, 5 of whom have played in the Prem, 2 are about to with Bournemouth and the other has been contracted to a Premier League club for the last 3 years.

Yes. Agreed. We've sold some players. Some of these were young, and good. Some of these are now having impressive careers. A tiny few have played in the Premier League. But you said "just about every good young player" has been sold. They haven't. Unless you think March, Walton, Ince, Lua Lua and JFC should have no further future at the club and aren't "good" . And as of today we haven't sold Lewis Dunk.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes. Agreed. We've sold some players. Some of these were young, and good. Some of these are now having impressive careers. A tiny few have played in the Premier League. But you said "just about every good young player" has been sold. They haven't. Unless you think March, Walton, Ince, Lua Lua and JFC should have no further future at the club and aren't "good" . And as of today we haven't sold Lewis Dunk.

This is not your most confident statement.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This is not your most confident statement.

Ha! Just a turn of phrase. FWIW I don't think we will sell Lewis Dunk this summer. He's unlikely to attract firm Premier League interest at a price where it would make sense to sell.
And I don't think we would sell (and i can't foresee him wanting to go) to a Champ Club.

But as for worrying about players attracting interest and paper transfer talk. This is a good thing. Its only when you don't have players that clubs are sniffing around that you should start to worry and fret ..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here