Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Depp Vs Heard

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If you take sides on this one (as a number of columnists with other agendas on both side have) you've lost the argument.

Both have lost cases on both sides of the Atlantic.

The only people who won are the lawyers.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
“Tell the world Johnny, see what a Judge or Jury thinks. Tell the world, I Johnny Depp, a man, am a victim too of domestic violence. See how many people believe or side with you.”

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
The whole thing is designed to be a viral distraction from what's going on in the real world

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Personally I think they abused each other. Two substance abusers in a toxic relationship. They should have both been ordered into rehab and told to get out and grow up.

Some of her behaviour was vile. Some of his was.

Some of his texts to his friends about her are a red flag to me that he is very possibly an abuser.

The common narrative that “the ex is mental” is equally harmful.

As an aside, I found the abuse and vitriol aimed at Heard online, in the media and outside the court to be thoroughly uncalled for and deeply disturbing.

The whole thing is shameful form whatever side or angle you view it from.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Personally I think they abused each other. Two substance abusers in a toxic relationship. They should have both been ordered into rehab and told to get out and grow up.

Some of his texts to his friends about her are a red flag to me that he is very possibly an abuser.

As an aside, I found the abuse and vitriol aimed at Heard online, in the media and outside the court to be thoroughly uncalled for and deeply disturbing.

[emoji106] agreed

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No real winners given the cost and embarrassment. Pleased likewise for Depp though, she seems rather unlikeable and vindictive. Anyway, when’s round2 of Wagatha?

Vardy will lose imho. I’ve no bias towards either party, but she’s come out badly during the court case.

Civil Law so the judge only has to decide on the balance of probabilities.

The legal costs will be vast, it’ll put a bit dent in Wilfred Bramble’s bank balance.

So silly, a costly battle of the ego’s.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Often in these sort of cases, while people are “awarded” tens of millions the actual payouts are capped at figures like 100k.
The award read out in court is an acknowledgment of harm done, rarely is it the amount actually paid. I believe the Depp/Heard payouts are capped at $350k.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I’m sure this is very close to the truth but the judge has given me the opportunity to put the blinkers on and enjoy Depp in movies again. He is one of the best actors of his generation appearing in many great films, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas being a particular favourite of mine.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

The whole thing is an excellent argument for not letting cameras into a trial like this.

The world certainly seems to have made up its mind about the pair of them. Everyone is suddenly an expert.

I agree that it looks like a toxic relationship, I hope they can both move on. More so though, I hope that everyone else can move on from judging them both and calling them names (lets face it this is mainly her).

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Often in these sort of cases, while people are “awarded” tens of millions the actual payouts are capped at figures like 100k.
The award read out in court is an acknowledgment of harm done, rarely is it the amount actually paid. I believe the Depp/Heard payouts are capped at $350k.

Partly - Depp was awarded punitive damages of $5M, capped to $350k by state law, but also compensatory damages of $10M - this is uncapped, so the total he *should* receive is $10.35M.

The judge also awarded $2M of compensatory damages to Heard (offsetting the above) but no punitive damages.

Of course, a very significant part of both payments will be going to the lawyers...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The whole thing is an excellent argument for not letting cameras into a trial like this.

The world certainly seems to have made up its mind about the pair of them. Everyone is suddenly an expert.

I agree that it looks like a toxic relationship, I hope they can both move on. More so though, I hope that everyone else can move on from judging them both and calling them names (lets face it this is mainly her).

Cameras are not allowed into trials with a domestic violence element , for obvious safeguarding reasons. This case should have been no different. As you say, it should have never been allowed.

During the trial Heard was subject to overwhelming public abuse. The exact reason they don’t normally allow cameras. Nor should they have disclosed the location of the trial. Although that would likely have been blown pretty early on.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Partly - Depp was awarded punitive damages of $5M, capped to $350k by state law, but also compensatory damages of $10M - this is uncapped, so the total he *should* receive is $10.35M.

The judge also awarded $2M of compensatory damages to Heard (offsetting the above) but no punitive damages.

Of course, a very significant part of both payments will be going to the lawyers...

Ah, makes sense.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Vardy will lose imho. I’ve no bias towards either party, but she’s come out badly during the court case.

Civil Law so the judge only has to decide on the balance of probabilities.

The legal costs will be vast, it’ll put a bit dent in Wilfred Bramble’s bank balance.

So silly, a costly battle of the ego’s.

Completely this, waste of precious judicial time too. Daft bints.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m sure this is very close to the truth but the judge has given me the opportunity to put the blinkers on and enjoy Depp in movies again. He is one of the best actors of his generation appearing in many great films, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas being a particular favourite of mine.

I haven’t seen much he is in apart from Pirates if the Carribean. However, I agree with you. At the end of the day I pay court jesters to entertain. I don’t really care what they do in the private lives, as long as it’s legal.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
From the bits of the trial I saw I don't think either party came out well.

That said I wonder how much 'likeability' came into it for the jury. Heard didn't come across well, she gave the impression of someone playing a role whereas Depp came across more sympathetically and human, even if a flawed one.

It sounded like an incredibly tempestuous and volatile relationship where the 'abuse' was intertwined and not flowing one way from one to the other but from both to each other.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Terrible Ruling for women currently in Domestic Violent Relationships.

Every time I watched the news on this story. I always felt I was watching an acting performance from both of them.

Doesn't bode well if we are judging acting performances as opposed to the reality of the situation.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Don't watch " Waiting for the Barbarians "

You won't ever like him ever again. Probably his most " Macabre " role ever.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Terrible Ruling for women currently in Domestic Violent Relationships.

Every time I watched the news on this story. I always felt I was watching an acting performance from both of them.

Doesn't bode well if we are judging acting performances as opposed to the reality of the situation.

I have always thought Depp was an arrogant wally. His “too cool for school” attitude grates on me. He did nothing to dispel that image in court. Sneering and giggling his way through the trial.

Mediocre talent too. I can’t think of one great film he’s been in?

As you say, not a good result for women in DV relationships.

And perhaps a timely reminder that Depp lost a similar case against the Sun in the U.K. where they claimed he was a bully and a wife beater and the judge ruled their description to be “largely accurate”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here