Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] December and January TV changes

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We will drive admittedly but you've only got 7 miles to get there and back!
It's a fair point, but I think it's difficult to underestimate how much of a ball ache getting to and from the Amex can be right now. I only live in Worthing and it feels like some sort of military operation is required.

Because I take my lad with me now, my pre-match routine isn't my old one of go to Brighton early > few beers in the pub > train to Falmer and then, after the game, it would be dull for him to hang around the concourse for an hour or so waiting for the train queues to die down before heading back.

As much as I love the Amex and home games, I do find a sense of dread building as we approach a game and I know I've got the transport battle coming up again!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
It's a fair point, but I think it's difficult to underestimate how much of a ball ache getting to and from the Amex can be right now. I only live in Worthing and it feels like some sort of military operation is required.

Because I take my lad with me now, my pre-match routine isn't my old one of go to Brighton early > few beers in the pub > train to Falmer and then, after the game, it would be dull for him to hang around the concourse for an hour or so waiting for the train queues to die down before heading back.

As much as I love the Amex and home games, I do find a sense of dread building as we approach a game and I know I've got the transport battle coming up again!
Oh no, I totally agree, I'm getting the train to the Chelsea game and I'm already wondering what connection back to Eastleigh I can get from Brighton depending on how big the train queue is etc.

I just don't think if I was living in Portslade and was still a STH I could either just sit at home or go down the pub to watch the game knowing that live experience we all love was so close.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Oh no, I totally agree, I'm getting the train to the Chelsea game and I'm already wondering what connection back to Eastleigh I can get from Brighton depending on how big the train queue is etc.

I just don't think if I was living in Portslade and was still a STH I could either just sit at home or go down the pub to watch the game knowing that live experience we all love was so close.
I literally got sunstroke earlier this season stuck in a non-moving queue crush on the slope to Falmer station for 50-odd minutes after a game. I've also taken an hour-long walk into Brighton, then got on a shuttle bus at the Steine which took just over an hour to crawl to the Uni - followed by another 40-odd minutes waiting to get on a bus after the game. The distance may be relative short, but the pain and aggro is plentiful...and on NYE, my 'SASTA Shitstorm' senses are going into overdrive.

Fair play to the likes of yourselves who make round trips of well over a hundred miles to attend home games, I doff my cap. But my tolerance levels of late on getting to and from the ground, relying on the ever-diminishing quality of service on public transport, have drastically reduced. I'm now north of 50, grumpy, and increasingly susceptible to taking the easy option of a barstool and a pint in front of the TV. Interminable queues and sardine-packed carriages are the norm now, every game, and I'll be honest, its taken its toll on me.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I literally got sunstroke earlier this season stuck in a non-moving queue crush on the slope to Falmer station for 50-odd minutes after a game. I've also taken an hour-long walk into Brighton, then got on a shuttle bus at the Steine which took just over an hour to crawl to the Uni - followed by another 40-odd minutes waiting to get on a bus after the game. The distance may be relative short, but the pain and aggro is plentiful...and on NYE, my 'SASTA Shitstorm' senses are going into overdrive.

Fair play to the likes of yourselves who make round trips of well over a hundred miles to attend home games, I doff my cap. But my tolerance levels of late on getting to and from the ground, relying on the ever-diminishing quality of service on public transport, have drastically reduced. I'm now north of 50, grumpy, and increasingly susceptible to taking the easy option of a barstool and a pint in front of the TV. Interminable queues and sardine-packed carriages are the norm now, every game, and I'll be honest, its taken its toll on me.
Fair play, although the journey time is longer the experience is far less painless than you describe

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, the January tv announcement is now at least a month later than the guide timeline. What is the point of publishing these dates?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
My guess is that they want to fit in some of the postponed fixtures in December and January, so they've waited to see who has the free midweek before Christmas, and therefore which games can also fit in Midweek in January before they fix the weekend fixtures in January?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So the December / January rail strikes just announced also include a ban on drivers working overtime during the Christmas / New Year period.

That should make the Arsenal NYE 5.30 ko a right FUNFEST.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So the December / January rail strikes just announced also include a ban on drivers working overtime during the Christmas / New Year period.

I've made some dumb decisions in my life but have occasionally made good ones. When I moved back to Brighton, I had a shortlist of two houses: one in Southwick, one in Coldean - every home game, I give thanks for the choice I made.

Can only feel pity for the fans have to deal with the pain of that match.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've made some dumb decisions in my life but have occasionally made good ones. When I moved back to Brighton, I had a shortlist of two houses: one in Southwick, one in Coldean - every home game, I give thanks for the choice I made.

Can only feel pity for the fans have to deal with the pain of that match.
That will, without a doubt, be a pub barstool at the local for the game, then straight home for a curry takeout.

I would rather shit in my own hands and clap than try to get to the Amex and back that night.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Overtime ban should have very little affect on the service that night, so no one panic.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Overtime ban will have no effect as its not a bank holiday its just a normal saturday ?
Yeah but you can panic, and act like the entire service will fall over, whats the point of even attempting to get to the stadium, if there is a mindset of there is going to be even a marginal chance of disruption

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here