Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Jones Songs

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Whatever happened to free speech? and if they paid their money they can sing what they like and who made you the administrator of what can be sung???

Didn't hear it myself but if it was the "If he offers you sweets you run a mile" one then whats the harm in that?

Or did you want to be a happy chappy in front of your Sheffield Wednesday friend ?

Paying the cost of a ticket does not grant you a licence to say what you want.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The only good that came out of the Dave Jones case is that the 'No smoke without fire' myth was blown apart and that many people got an insight into how it was possible for there to be many allegations from many sources against one person and for them all to be without foundation.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I don't think you understand what Free Speech is...

Indeed, there are some things that, if said in public, are very definitely a criminal offence. You would be very misguided to think that "free speech" is the same thing as "I can say what I like", they are very definitely NOT.

I thought the singing at SW was rather year eight - and some chants being lead by a voice that was either a female or pre-pubescent boy ....

The Convict

Jan 20, 2013
Indeed, there are some things that, if said in public, are very definitely a criminal offence. You would be very misguided to think that "free speech" is the same thing as "I can say what I like", they are very definitely NOT.

I thought the singing at SW was rather year eight - and some chants being lead by a voice that was either a female or pre-pubescent boy ....

Was down near the front with my girl so didn't hear it, But is ridiculing Disabled people on a public forum FREE SPEECH or exempt from these criminal offences you describe, or at least worthy of a visit and advice from the law

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
Personally, seeing as it didn't catch on and was sung by the people around the Bollox Crew (not saying it was sung by them as I don't think it was) I don't think this warrants a thread. It tarnishes all fans, not the 6-8 that sang it.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Some things at football should never be sung which include:

1) Munich chants at Man U games

2) Hilsborough chants at Liverpool games

3) Any abuse aimed at Dave Jones - not right singing about someone who was innocent and calling them a "pedo"

4) Instanbul chants at Leeds fans

5) Hitler chants at Tottenham fans

All very distasteful and goes further than so called "banter"

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

If it's the women who I think you're on about, she was f***ing hilarious. 'Take the **** aaaaatttt' and 'get it wide' were my favourites.

I didn't hear anything about Dave Jones from where I was, like in the middle towards the top. I did find the chant to the referee being non league highly offensive- Non league refs aren't that inconsistent.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Personally, seeing as it didn't catch on and was sung by the people around the Bollox Crew (not saying it was sung by them as I don't think it was) I don't think this warrants a thread. It tarnishes all fans, not the 6-8 that sang it.

I can honestly say that none of the bollox crew were involved in this song.

This is too low for us to sing.

Pole in Goal

Aug 14, 2012
BN1
I can honestly say that none of the bollox crew were involved in this song.

This is too low for us to sing.

Good to hear Slinky, you lot gave your best yesterday and made a decent atmosphere. Sat near you on purpose because I know you lot try and get the crowd going - despite some of the criticism you get on hear

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Whatever happened to free speech? and if they paid their money they can sing what they like and who made you the administrator of what can be sung???

Didn't hear it myself but if it was the "If he offers you sweets you run a mile" one then whats the harm in that?

Or did you want to be a happy chappy in front of your Sheffield Wednesday friend ?

"Be careful " !

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Most things on here don't really "warrant" a thread. Just hoped those that sung it might read this and appreciate it's not welcome next time they want to sing something stupid.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Was he friends with Jimmy Saville and Gary Glitter ???

C

CT1

So they can sing racist songs as well? No? Didn't think so.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
How does one qualify to be a member of the Bollox crew?

Just curious that's all....

to be a member of the bollox crew you need to travel on the Bollox Bus, and sing your hearts out for the lads.

Nothing difficult.... no strange initiation ceremony, well apart from licking purple frogs!! :)

Despite what people on here post about the Bollox Crew, we are just a bunch of fans that travel to the away games, and are really quite a close knit group, who will look out for each other, have fun, and support our team.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Was down near the front with my girl so didn't hear it, But is ridiculing Disabled people on a public forum FREE SPEECH or exempt from these criminal offences you describe, or at least worthy of a visit and advice from the law

Personally i think that anyone who is racist is bang out of order, after all racism is a crime!!

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton

If you cannot see the inference in the chant, and how demeaning and upsetting that is to an innocent man, then I pity you. It's just banter though eh ? Perhaps you would think differently if it happened to you.

Such chants actually curse and undermine 'Free Speech', they are not opinion they are insults designed to hurt, they are beyond banter. They also make mature, intelligent and decent folk feel ashamed to be stuck in amongst the originators of this bile.

But it's football, eh ? Well just because you pay your money and buy your ticket doesn't mean you own the right to undermine the standards and values of most of the crowd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here