[Music] Dave Greenfield (The Stranglers) RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
One of the best of all time.

Sweden has one of the best solos ever. Gutted.

Just dusting off Rattus Norvegicus.

RIP.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Gutted - The Stranglers are up in my top 10 bands - was due to see them again later in the year.

One of the best keyboard players I've had the pleasure of seeing/hearing.

RIP Dave, and condolences to your family.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
From Captain Sensible of The Damned-
While showing me round the pub he owned, Dave Greenfield was in the process of hiding his menagerie of pet rats, owing to the food hygiene inspectors coming to check the place over later that day.. "give me a hand Cap or the ******** will close me down." RIP Dave

Anyone know if this was a Brighton pub?

No, it was a pub in a village in Cambridgeshire near Ely. Unsure if he still owned it. JJB also lived nearby to that area at one time as did Hugh Cornwell who lived in Ely.

Was genuinely devastated to hear this news last night. I saw the Stranglers (from memory) four-five times over the years. First time was Hastings Pier in 1977. Last was at the Dome 2014. I went and purchased Rattus N. the next day after I saw them live for the first time. They were unique amongst the punk scene. Dave Greenfield's keyboard skills made them so.

R.I.P. Dave Greenfield.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Total respect to the bloke who single-handedly provided a pathway into punk for a generation of Melody Maker-reading older brothers who would never otherwise have got into, say, the Pistols, The Clash, The Damned, The Adverts, The etc etc.

RIP DG

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I can’t believe it, the Stranglers have been part of my life for over 40 years! I’m shocked and saddened by this news.

Same here, mate (my username is a clue) :(

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
At the absolute top of their game, performing the utterly brilliant 'Down in the Sewer' - the best version of this song I've ever seen or heard.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
At the absolute top of their game, performing the utterly brilliant 'Down in the Sewer' - the best version of this song I've ever seen or heard.

Fantastic. That performance epitomises them. The sneering delivery of Hugh Cornwell and the prowling, brooding presence of JJ. They were more 'punk' in their attitude than many contemporary bands; happy to court controversy and stick two fingers up at pretty much anyone, including their own fans!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Would be great if anyone had the 1978 BBC Rock Goes to College performance at Guildford (presume Surrey University).

Hugh Cornwell goes off on one to the audience at the end from memory...

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Would be great if anyone had the 1978 BBC Rock Goes to College performance at Guildford (presume Surrey University).

They were pissed off as tickets had been restricted to students. They played a few of their most angry songs then Hanging Around after which they stormed off. Much slagging off of elite students, Guildford council, etc ����

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Not Rock goes To College, but full concert from their appearance on Rockpalast in Germany

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Gutting news, RIP Dave Greenfield, a very unique music genius.

I was only reading about him online this weekend, and he recently made it into my NSC ideal band line-up.

Goosebumps every time for over 40 years:

Is it this one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports