Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Dave Greenfield (The Stranglers) RIP

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
an old school friend got me into the Stranglers in 1978
he lent me his Black & White album,which was signed by Dave in the top left hand corner
apparently his family in Seaford knew him some how
and from time to time Dave would visit them and play the piano they had
didn't think much of it at the time
but that album was a life changer

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
In 1976, we played with the Ramones. In those days, [Clash bassist] Paul Simonon had a nervous tic: he used to spit on the ground. He did this just as we came off stage at Dingwalls in London, so I thumped him and it all kicked off. We were thrown out by the bouncers and it continued in the courtyard. On one side were the Pistols, the Clash, the Ramones and a load of their journalist friends. On the other side was us, a few of our fans and me, nose to nose with Paul. Dave Greenfield, had John Lydon up against the ice-cream van.

Q&A from 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/mar/12/stranglers-40-years-fights-drugs-ufos

JJB and Paul Simonon later made up. 34 years later ! Both riding Triumph bikes, came across each other at a traffic lights, shook hands and rode off into the night.

http://stranglers-ratter.blogspot.com/2010/06/triumphs-that-pass-in-night.html

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am wondering if the farewell tour might go ahead with JJ, Baz, with Jet Black maybe doing 1 song and a new keyboardist as a final hurrah and tribute to Dave

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nice idea but it's going to take a pretty special keyboard player to get anywhere near Dave's feel.

I agree. No one is going to come close

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dave's funeral tomorrow in Somersham

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am wondering if the farewell tour might go ahead with JJ, Baz, with Jet Black maybe doing 1 song and a new keyboardist as a final hurrah and tribute to Dave

I hope so, we saw the Buzzcocks less than a year after Pete Shelly died and you could see it was still Raw. They were still debating whether to carry on. Steve Diggle co wrote most the songs as well and did a good job on vocals.

They also had a memorial concert at the Albert Hall with guest vocalist and I wonder if this may happen. The original drummer played as well. Glad to say they are carrying on and still making music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0dy_vuGW7c

Hopefully the Stranglers can have one last blast.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

I really hope so - there are others who will say it would be a terrible idea - but I would see it a brilliant tribute to one of the best Keyboard players there ever was.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Probably all ready posted. Classic.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Full Final UK Tour And Album Update

Dave’s death has been an absolute tragedy and mere words cannot describe our deep sense of loss and the sheer, raw emotion that we have felt over the past month. Dave was our dear friend and band mate and we will miss him forever. The loss has had an absolutely devastating effect on us as a band and we’ve spent a lot of time in reflection and discussing the future. We had all been working on recording a new album, much of which is ready to mix. Dave was, of course, an integral part of our work on this new material and, therefore, we fully intend to bring the project to fruition as soon as we can get back together.

We have also been thinking of you, our fans. We have read the many posts and messages with regard to the Final Full Tour and, after much discussion, we have decided to proceed with the shows in Dave’s honour. Dave was very much looking forward to this being our final, full outing so we believe it’s the most suitably fitting way for all of us together to say goodbye.

JJ, Baz and Jim.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Full Final UK Tour And Album Update

Dave’s death has been an absolute tragedy and mere words cannot describe our deep sense of loss and the sheer, raw emotion that we have felt over the past month. Dave was our dear friend and band mate and we will miss him forever. The loss has had an absolutely devastating effect on us as a band and we’ve spent a lot of time in reflection and discussing the future. We had all been working on recording a new album, much of which is ready to mix. Dave was, of course, an integral part of our work on this new material and, therefore, we fully intend to bring the project to fruition as soon as we can get back together.

We have also been thinking of you, our fans. We have read the many posts and messages with regard to the Final Full Tour and, after much discussion, we have decided to proceed with the shows in Dave’s honour. Dave was very much looking forward to this being our final, full outing so we believe it’s the most suitably fitting way for all of us together to say goodbye.

JJ, Baz and Jim.

Brilliant news and fitting end

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here