Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Dave Greenfield (The Stranglers) RIP

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Yes it is but Rock goes to College was a 30 minute show as far as I can remember and Hugh Cornwell has a go at the audience a bit earlier along the lines of 'I see you are spitting just like the Daily Mirror told you' :lolol:

He definitely made the 'spitting just like punks are supposed to' on the Live X-Cert album.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes it is but Rock goes to College was a 30 minute show as far as I can remember and Hugh Cornwell has a go at the audience a bit earlier along the lines of 'I see you are spitting just like the Daily Mirror told you' :lolol:

punk:punk:punk::bigwave::bigwave::bigwave:

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Varndean

To add to the local story he went to Varndean, and was there when I was, although a a year or two above me and yes he did live around Wilmington ave

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
In the late 70's and early 80's the musical papers of the time used to do a readers vote on best singer, bassist, guitarist, drummer, keyboard player etc.

Year after year Dave Greenfield would win best keyboard player and JJ Burnel best bassist. - to have two musicians in the same band consistently voted best in their instrumental field shows why The Stranglers were such a brilliant , influential and lasting band.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
here's Dave's obituary from the Times

just scroll down a couple of posts

it's well worth a read

https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23077&start=120

It is great to see your avatar pride of place again. Such a great (and now poignant) image.

I signed up yesterday to this forum, but as yet the administrators have not authorised access, so I will read it once I can get in.

Perhaps his most famous composition, here playing it on the harpsichord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W4LvJ2tdvk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
So glad I finally saw the Stranglers live a few years back. Dave was a great hero of mine long before I discovered he was from Brighton.

Really gutted by this news. RIP Dave [emoji26]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
On Saturday at 7PM. Get the old vinyl out and give it a spin, in memory.

Attachments

• Raven.png
    Raven.png
    1 MB · Views: 129

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I have only just caught up with this news.

Absolutely gutted. A hero. The first band I saw 'live'.

I shall be playing the Stranglers all day as homage.

Sorry to bounce this but wanted to write something.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
In 1976, we played with the Ramones. In those days, [Clash bassist] Paul Simonon had a nervous tic: he used to spit on the ground. He did this just as we came off stage at Dingwalls in London, so I thumped him and it all kicked off. We were thrown out by the bouncers and it continued in the courtyard. On one side were the Pistols, the Clash, the Ramones and a load of their journalist friends. On the other side was us, a few of our fans and me, nose to nose with Paul. Dave Greenfield, had John Lydon up against the ice-cream van.

Q&A from 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/mar/12/stranglers-40-years-fights-drugs-ufos

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
In 1976, we played with the Ramones. In those days, [Clash bassist] Paul Simonon had a nervous tic: he used to spit on the ground. He did this just as we came off stage at Dingwalls in London, so I thumped him and it all kicked off. We were thrown out by the bouncers and it continued in the courtyard. On one side were the Pistols, the Clash, the Ramones and a load of their journalist friends. On the other side was us, a few of our fans and me, nose to nose with Paul. Dave Greenfield, had John Lydon up against the ice-cream van.

Q&A from 2014

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/mar/12/stranglers-40-years-fights-drugs-ufos

some great stories there

When Dave first met Jet,he asked him why he called himself Jet?

Jet replied,I'm the fastest thing on two legs!

always makes me laugh that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here