Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Darwin Núñez

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
And his assists seem to be mainly from the left side, an area that this graphic from albion analytics clearly demonstrates we are woefully weak in.

View attachment 139601

From Albion Analytics:

Brighton registered over four times the number of assists from the right flank (18) as they did from the left flank (4).

Interestingly, [MENTION=2997]WHO[/MENTION]Scored
data has Brighton’s attack frequencies down the left and right as equal (37% of attacks coming down both).

That’s a huge area we need to improve. A fit March for the whole season is part of the answer but I’m sure that rumoured targets like Cucu & Nunez would help equalise the figures from the right side to the left.

Stumpy Tim

That’s a huge area we need to improve. A fit March for the whole season is part of the answer but I’m sure that rumoured targets like Cucu & Nunez would help equalise the figures from the right side to the left.

To be fair, I imagine these stats are skewed slightly because Gross tends to do the best of his work on the right hand side. If he was left-footed I imagine the stats would be obvious.

As for Nunez, it's a big yes for me. I can't believe people are saying No because he's injured for a few weeks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And his assists seem to be mainly from the left side, an area that this graphic from albion analytics clearly demonstrates we are woefully weak in.

View attachment 139601

From Albion Analytics:

Brighton registered over four times the number of assists from the right flank (18) as they did from the left flank (4).

Interestingly, [MENTION=2997]WHO[/MENTION]Scored
data has Brighton’s attack frequencies down the left and right as equal (37% of attacks coming down both).

You aren’t trying to suggest that the club have a team of coaches and analysts that have identified an area for improvement and the recruitment team have then sought to find someone to rectify that weakness are you ? Who’d have thunk it :lolol::lolol:

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
You aren’t trying to suggest that the club have a team of coaches and analysts that have identified an area for improvement and the recruitment team have then sought to find someone to rectify that weakness are you ? Who’d have thunk it :lolol::lolol:

And if not Nunez, they'll have someone else lined up. Probably a South American.

So far it looks like the list is/was

Alan Velasco
Nicolas Gonzalez
Darwin Nunez

All young, left sided, South Americans with an eye for a goal.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Are we SERIOUSLY in the market for laying down £25m+ for a bloke on crutches following knee surgery, who won't be ready till possibly next month at the earliest ?

Get real. We're not THAT desperate (or stupid).

We have a history of not rushing signings into the squad until the manager thinks they are ready.

This would be a very Albion thing to do.

The thing here would be how or would they conduct a medical on a injured player.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I caveat this comment with ‘I am not a doctor’. However, a quick google shows that his operation (in May) was an arthroscopy. That’s a keyhole surgery to remove scar tissue (I know this from my own knackered ankle). It’s nothing like as bad as a ligament repair operation or something like that. So I don’t think that would put us off necessarily. However, I am not a doctor (I’m sure NSC has an expert though - and many more who will claim to be experts).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I caveat this comment with ‘I am not a doctor’. However, a quick google shows that his operation (in May) was an arthroscopy. That’s a keyhole surgery to remove scar tissue (I know this from my own knackered ankle). It’s nothing like as bad as a ligament repair operation or something like that. So I don’t think that would put us off necessarily. However, I am not a doctor (I’m sure NSC has an expert though - and many more who will claim to be experts).

Stop coming on here with facts and personal experiences of things - he has knackered knees and isn’t worth the money - NSC has spoken.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Almost every goal in this clip is from a tap in from frankly ludicrous attempts at defending that we are unlikely to be seeing much of in the Premier League.

"I want a striker that's got a proven record of scoring 15 goals in a season... None of this Dutch nonsense either"

"What about Núñez? He scored 15 goals and got loads of assists too, plus has played in Spain and Portugal and for the national side with a great strike rate?"

"Nah. He may be all of the above, but I don't like the type of goals he scores - Would he score goals like that against bang average Premier League defenders? I don't think so"

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016

arthroscopy refers to any type of orthopedic keyhole surgery.

We can't read too much into that as they even treat cruciate knee ligament repair by arthroscopic surgery in these modern times.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
arthroscopy refers to any type of orthopedic keyhole surgery.

We can't read too much into that as they even treat cruciate knee ligament repair by arthroscopic surgery in these modern times.

Fair enough - as I said, definitely not a doctor! The rest of the information around his injury suggests he was playing with it for a while but had surgery at the end of the season as it was restrictive - which sounds good both for why he maybe had a worse second half of the season, and also that it isn’t a full ACL or similar.

Johnny RoastBeef

Jan 11, 2016
Fair enough - as I said, definitely not a doctor! The rest of the information around his injury suggests he was playing with it for a while but had surgery at the end of the season as it was restrictive - which sounds good both for why he maybe had a worse second half of the season, and also that it isn’t a full ACL or similar.

Agreed, which indicates it's probably a meniscus related repair to relieve discomfort. Nothing serious.

Luis Suarez tore his meniscus and had it repaired just before the 2014 World cup. He was back and scoring 2 goals against England within a couple of months.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agreed, which indicates it's probably a meniscus related repair to relieve discomfort. Nothing serious.

Luis Suarez tore his meniscus and had it repaired just before the 2014 World cup. He was back running after ears to eat within a couple of months.

I've had a few nicks zapped off my right knee, first time I was 23 and recovered very quickly, 2nd time @ 31 after not retiring as I said I would after the REMF game, I was back up and running within a month. Albeit for last orders as opposed to a ball. Its a very slick procedure these days with minimal invasion or disruption to surrounding areas.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I've been blinded by many, many YouTube showreels so I'm not even going to bother pressing 'play' on that one.

Fact is, however flash he looks - he's f*cked his knee. He's crocked. We have no idea how well he may recover from that, but it sounds like being a potentially very complex medical. Yes we know Tony likes a gamble - but this is like calling a £25m pot with a pair of 8's on the river.

Would you, if it was your money ?

I would imagine we know pretty much exactly how he will recover from that. We know from past experience that Albion don't sign crocked players anymore.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I've just had an ACL reconstruction, Six weeks in, I am up and walking well and swelling right down, this is after two previous ACL & meniscus injuries and and surgeries. I am stretching, don't have a brace or assistance, i'm walking upstairs, downstairs and soon will be back in the gym.

Whilst it is longer term to get back to full fitness, I am sure this will be easier for a professional footballer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would imagine we know pretty much exactly how he will recover from that. We know from past experience that Albion don't sign crocked players anymore.

He may well recover within the expected timescale, but its still a big risk. Who's to know whether it turns out to be a recurring issue, and we end up lumbered with another Kitson ? (albeit entirely different on the agescale).

That said, I appreciate we do have to 'take a punt' sometimes in the market values which we are shopping in, if the recruitment team are convinced he's just what we need.

Not to the same valuation of course, but Alex Ferguson made a firm commitment to RVN when he spannered his knee for a year, that they would still be back to sign him once he'd recovered. And that certainly turned out alright didn't it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Tim Vickerey's view:

[tweet]1428679519678914564[/tweet]

If Tim says he is good, that's all I need to hear.

I like his shirt!!!!!! Which obviously brings him great authority in matters football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here