Dark, disturbing but great films

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My own personal favourite is Festen. Finally got a copy of the DVD and looking froward to watching it again over the weekend. Probably the King of the Gogme films and as gripping and disturbing a story of repressed family sex abuse as you'll ever see.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Let The Right One In

Scandenavian horror (subtitles) set mainly around a grim high-rise, where a girl vampire befriends a bullied boy, and becomes very protective of him. Tremendous ending.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
the road.

Well done brunswick, I wondered if someone was going to mention it seeing as it was on BBC2 over the weekend.
I'm still thinking about it now. No director had come anywhere near this in depicting post apocalypse. The first 20 minutes of 28 Days Later comes close but the hard reality of EVERYTHING dying on the planet I'd shocking in this film. And who better to lead than Viggo Mortensen?
Charlize Theron's chilling line: " they will catch me and my son, they will rape us, then kill us, then eat us". Just before she commits suicide.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Conspiracy. It's the way it puts over cold hard fact of the Nazi viewpoint of the war.

I assume you mean the TV movie from a decade of so back. Excellent and even more chillling because of the matter of fact way that the "final solution" is discussed. Kenneth Branagh is superb, the only thiing that jarred (although he was excellent in his role) was the little guy from Rab C. Nesbitt playing the part of a Nazi scientist I recall.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
Brutti, sporchi e cattivi (Ugly, Dirty and Bad) 1976. From IMDB: Four generations of a family live crowded together in a cardboard shantytown shack in the squalor of inner-city Rome. They plan to murder each other with poisoned dinners, arson, etc. The household engages in various forms of sexual idiosyncrasies, land swindles, incest, drugs and adultery.
If you see this film you won't forget it.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Let The Right One In

Scandenavian horror (subtitles) set mainly around a grim high-rise, where a girl vampire befriends a bullied boy, and becomes very protective of him. Tremendous ending.

I watched the re-make on Anytime+ a couple of days ago, I'm going to have to find the original to watch now

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Are we talking horror/slasher or grim and dark as, personally, I found 8mm with Nicholas Cage to be am example of the latter.

FFF

Apr 3, 2010
Tyrannosaur.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched the re-make on Anytime+ a couple of days ago, I'm going to have to find the original to watch now

I've not seen the remake, I assume its americanised with no subtitles ?

Any good ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Anyone watched The Cement Garden?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I've not seen the remake, I assume its americanised with no subtitles ?

Any good ?

No subtitles, it had the 1980's feel to it, didn't feel like it was filmed in 2010 and was pretty good, it's title is slightly different - Let me In

Don't know about the original but its refreshing to watch a film without all the graphic bloody scenes like the swimming pool bit at the end where the action is off camera you just see it from his perspective underwater.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Eraserhead.
I was going to suggest this too. Black and white, weird white noise / industrial sound in the background most of the way through. Really surreal.
The meal scene is just so strange. The woman living behind the radiator. I've only seen this once and it was a long time ago, but images are still fresh in my mind.
Highly recommend this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports