Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dark, disturbing but great films

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Watched 2 films recently that were really disturbing, great films, but really dark and made me think. They were pretty messed up, but i was just wondering what films NSC have seen, that really stick with you?

One was "Snowtown" - true story about one of Australias most brutal killers

And the other "Martyrs" - Generally f***ed up French film

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
A couple come to mind. Eden Lake and Hard Candy are two that stick out for me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Eden Lake is superb.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Last House on the Left, remake. A very decent remake.

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
Dead Man's Shoes. A great British revenge movie set in a small midlands town. Shane Meadows best film. Great acting from Paddy Considine and the lad who plays his brother (his name escapes me).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Re Animator.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Eraserhead.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Suckerpunch- not so much dark as wierd

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yeah - the bit at the end when his son asks if he ever,….. well,……. you know…..makes you want to cringe.

studied this in film studies, we all were asked to bring in scenes that shock you, and had to study it for weeks, completly stuck with me, when the boy at the end asks his dad.....few people actually asked to leave because it was to much for them

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
studied this in film studies, we all were asked to bring in scenes that shock you, and had to study it for weeks, completly stuck with me, when the boy at the end asks his dad.....few people actually asked to leave because it was to much for them

I watched it in the cinema and the whole audience just gasped.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Yeah - the bit at the end when his son asks if he ever,….. well,……. you know…..makes you want to cringe.

The bit right at the end when the teen successfully masturbates, mildly splattering a nearby plant, which the dog licks before bursting into the family meal going on next door and spreading its bejizzed tongue over the boy's mother's face, is also a grossout moment.
See any Todd Solondz film and he's attempting to make whoever watches uncomfortable. It hideously worked with Welcome to the Dollhouse too. After Happiness, though, he went a bit pap.
Haneke looks for similar results, but without any sense of comedy. Hidden was an unsettling but gripping tale of sin and punishment and partly-skinned truths. The White Ribbon was visually stunning and had its own similar and subtle grotesqueries.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here