Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dan Harding on Saints website

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Is that right? Did someone have a gun to his head? (Or a suitcase of money?)

From what I recall on here, wasn't it his agent who misled a young boy in to thinking he was one step away from playing for teams at the top of the Prem? That the move was needed in order to further his career and earn more money?

I like chants about Harding but like most chants, its for the 90 minutes of that football match. I don't care about him outside and I don't hold particular malice towards him, unlike Hammond. Who is a total ****.

Finally: is it that shocking for him to be bigging up his own side before the run in and having the desire to fight even now? :eek: Shocking.
Whats the world come to...

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think people are being too harsh on Harding. When transferred to dirty leeds he did not want to leave..
The fee issue went to Tribunal.
Who is aware Harding went down from leeds to London for the hearing (unpaid and on his own initiative) to argue for Brighton getting a higher fee which they deserved. He highlighted everything BHA had done for him in developing his career and why the higher fee was merited.
BHA got a higher fee.
Not a lot of people know that.

That is not how I remember proceedings.

I am sure that Harding promised he was going to sign for us. Went on holiday, effectively turned off his phone to us and signed for Leeds, whom he had always supported.

Dan Harding joins Leeds

Dan Harding is leaving Albion and signing for their Championship rivals Leeds United.

The Elland Road club today confirmed they had reached agreement with the England under-21 left back, who stalled on signing a new deal with the Seagullsat the end of last season.

Albion are entitled to a fee, which could be decided at a transfer tribunal but boss Mark McGhee fears his club could be short-changed.

McGhee said: "We are not going to get full value for Dan Harding now.

"It will go to a tribunal unless we can negotiate with Leeds but even that will not be his full value.

"Our best bet could be to argue a case at a tribunal for a few add-ons."

Leeds are believed to have beaten Rangers to Harding's signature but McGhee was angry the playerdid not keep him up to date with proceedings.

He added: "I'm very disappointed, not just for me but also the chairman and everyone else at the club who has looked after him.

"Most of what we are hearing is through the newspapers and second and third hand.

"I totally understand his motivation. He wants to earn more money but I think he should have treated us a bit better."

McGhee added: "He seems to have made up his mind.

"We would take him back, make no mistake about that, but we've not even spoken to him.

"He told me he would come back to me before he made his decision but now I hear he is talking to Leeds.

"I'm also very disappointed in (Leeds manager) Kevin Blackwell because he has not phoned me to say they are talking to him or that they want him.

"That's not the way I would do things but I suppose that's the game we are in."

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
But it's not just wanting to beat us, is it? It's wanting to overturn a 12-point deficit with 10 games left in the season! I don't expect them to be burying their noses up the back of BHAFC, but would it kill them to say that winning the title at this stage is a very, VERY tough ask? The way they are talking, you'd think it was still October.

From the rest of the interview, it was done before they played Charlton. Still daft, mind.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I think a career at Championship and League 1 level and England u21 appearances suggests he had a bit of telent, don't you?

shhhhhh - any player who walks out on us for a bigger club is INSTANTLY shit

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I think a career at Championship and League 1 level and England u21 appearances suggests he had a bit of telent, don't you?

It does.. but then again people like Michael Ricketts and Carlton Palmer won caps for England!
It's a funny old game, and - IMHO - Harding was a very poor left back comparatively to othres we've had down the years.... but then again I thought Peter Smith was overrated too!

To be upbeat for Harding, i'd rather have him playing blindfolded than have Ashley Neal.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
End of the day, He grew up supporting Leeds, anybody would jump at the chance of moving to a club they support with the bonus of being offered more money, He should've handled the situation better then he did but unfortunately he didn't. He obviously isn't shit otherwise he wouldn't have played Championship football for alot of his career and he wouldn't have attracted interest from teams from the top tier.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I thought he was a promising left back - by no means the finished article - until the u-21 cap led to his being linked with Premier League clubs. At that point his form dropped through the floor as he appeared not to want to risk injury by actually tacling anyone in case it jeopardised the dream move. So in a mean-spirited way, I admit that I find the fact that he's in League One, with a team 12 points below us, quite amusing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Albion are entitled to a fee, which could be decided at a transfer tribunal but boss Mark McGhee fears his club could be short-changed.

McGhee said: "We are not going to get full value for Dan Harding now.

"It will go to a tribunal unless we can negotiate with Leeds but even that will not be his full value.

"Our best bet could be to argue a case at a tribunal for a few add-ons."

Leeds are believed to have beaten Rangers to Harding's signature but McGhee was angry the playerdid not keep him up to date with proceedings.

He added: "I'm very disappointed, not just for me but also the chairman and everyone else at the club who has looked after him.

"Most of what we are hearing is through the newspapers and second and third hand.

"I totally understand his motivation. He wants to earn more money but I think he should have treated us a bit better."

McGhee added: "He seems to have made up his mind.

"We would take him back, make no mistake about that, but we've not even spoken to him.

"He told me he would come back to me before he made his decision but now I hear he is talking to Leeds.

"I'm also very disappointed in (Leeds manager) Kevin Blackwell because he has not phoned me to say they are talking to him or that they want him.

"That's not the way I would do things but I suppose that's the game we are in."

That reminds me of why I liked McGhee, Straight talking, articulate and passionate. Not how he is portrayed on here in the NSC re writing of history.

I also liked Harding when he was here :shrug:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I wish I had all these quotes saved now.

I reckon if they were pinned up in the caravn before the game we wouldnt need a team talk.

As for Harding, bit of a cock but not real malice.

Hammond is a wanker though and deserves some shit

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I like Harding as a player, he was naive when coming into the team and cost us quite a few goals but his potential was obvious. Leaving was probably the right choice for his career and we got a nice wedge for him. Seems to have conducted himself appropriately since his departure and was even welcomed back for pre-season training. I think he could still make a decent championship full back under sound management.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
what did hammond do?? i was not aware hed done anything particularly wrong to us?? i used to like hammind a lot, always thought would take him back any time, but i seem to have missed something?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I watched a bit of Saints V Peterboro the other night and it all came flooding back.

The farm lands worth of space on the Peterborough right for thier winger to roam around in
The look in Hardings face suggesting he was thinking about what to have for tea rather than who he should be marking
The basic errors but then followed by something pretty good which makes you think he is better than he is.

Half a million or whatever we ended up getting for him is up there with the Virgo theft from Celtic for me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He was so bad it took quite a few seasons to get anyone near his level as a replacement.
Very fair. Harding was a good player for us.

I wish I had all these quotes saved now.

I reckon if they were pinned up in the caravn before the game we wouldnt need a team talk.

As for Harding, bit of a cock but not real malice.

Hammond is a wanker though and deserves some shit
My thoughts entirely. Harding is guilty of no more than being a bit clumsy in the way he tried to progress his career. Hammond's actions after that last minute equaliser were those of a f***ing bellend, given the relatively warm reception he had received. If Southampton don't make it, I'd laugh at him first and foremostly. If they do, he'll be released anyway because he is always f***ing gash and completely anonymous at Championship level.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
What the hell do you expect the fella to say ??

There seems so much animosity by our fans towards him that he is likely to have lost any affinity that he might of had for us.

Players are different creatures to us the fans, they need to be.

Clubs and fans are fickle, one week a hero next a villain, with slaps on the back from disingenuous Chairmen trying to sell them on the quiet or negotiating a deal that is solely in the interest of the club without a thought for the well-being of the player or their families.

No my heart doesn't bleed for the modern day footballer they have agents now that are supposed to protect them and some do act like pricks, but I do not get this vitriol against a supposedly decent bloke who has carved out a good career for himself and a Sussex youngster too.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think people are being too harsh on Harding. When transferred to dirty leeds he did not want to leave..
The fee issue went to Tribunal.
Who is aware Harding went down from leeds to London for the hearing (unpaid and on his own initiative) to argue for Brighton getting a higher fee which they deserved. He highlighted everything BHA had done for him in developing his career and why the higher fee was merited.
BHA got a higher fee.
Not a lot of people know that.

Hi Dan :bigwave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here