Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Is Clement's natural position a no.2 like his predecessor? Derby trying to buy their way out of injuries and a potentially poor management choice is quite amusing. Is Clement another Hyypia style head coach? Could be a tough one for them.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Football is a lot about little mini partnerships. Stephens & Kayal have finally given us a settled partnership in the middle. Unfortunately it looks like our Dunk & Greer partnership is going to be broken. The last thing we need at the start of a season is to try and reform yet another partnership in the spine of the team. I can't see us selling - even if it was £4 million tbh. Football isn't all about getting good money for players - we need to build and to settle asap.

As for the Derby fan saying Dale would be behind 4 of their central midfielders or whatever point he was making - utter bollocks :thumbsup:

Agreed, in Stephens and Kayal we have two incredibly hard working and passionate players, willing to stick their necks on the line for the team. Break that up and we could have a problem.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Astonishing anyone is backing the sale - regardless of the price.

Stephens is one of the most under-rated Championship players; high work-rate, can pick a pass and when he's settled in, I'm sure he will score a decent number of goals.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
For £2.5 m I would say hand, bite and off - and go get Tex or similar
:eek:

God no.

We're playing 442, we've got 3 keepers, 4 centre backs, 4 full-backs, 3 wingers and trying to get another, and 4 strikers - how many do we have for the centre of midfield? Kayal and Stephens as far as I can tell. Crofts could be good, but we can hardly rely on him. Ince, Holla and JFC are all a bit different, I think they're all better suited to 451.

I'd rather we sell Dunk (who I don't want to sell).

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It'd be very bad news to sell him and it would undo a lot of the goodwill our transfer activity has generated. We've been squad building really well so far, and I hope a similar style of midfielder to come in as well. Even if he were 2nd choice (which I don't think he will be), we need to retain strength in depth.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, no, no, and lots more big NOs!

If we can (rightly, IMHO) turn down £5M for Dunk - which is, to be fair, a reasonable offer - then I hope our response to this nonsense will be a good deal more robust than a polite, 'Not today, thank you.'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For £2.5 m I would say hand, bite and off - and go get Tex or similar

Are you insane?? It is clear from Hughton's comments the Kayal / Stephens axis is key to us being able to play with two wide men and two attackers. Stephens has won the battle over JFC and Ince for that starting CM spot with Kayal, he's also seen off Kemy whilst it's anyone's guess how Crofts will perform after his injury.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
We also have to accept at some stage Kayal will be absent, whether through disciplinary measures or injury. The thought of fielding an Albion side with neither Stephens nor Kayal is worrying. Crofts still has to prove he's back at Championship level, while JFC has proved time again, he's clearly below Championship level. Ince has a specific role which works exceptionally well during defensive periods of the game (ie last few minutes or negating a more attacking formation from the opposition). But sell Stephens and we are playing a massive risk that could backfire horribly.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Stephens is class. We should be looking to hang onto him for as long as we can. Excellent work rate, great range of passing, can tackle and will pop up with the occasional goal. Keep him.

lethaldrizzle

Apr 30, 2007
South East London
As I said it is a hypothetical situation but we do not have a player like text but we do have crafts and jfc and ince who could slot into the current formation. Having a player like tex would give Houghton flexibility within games to change tactics and react to the opposition. That could be the difference between play offs or automatic promotion.

You've got to have two very good energetic, box to box midfielders to be able to play 442 when most teams will face up against you with an extra man in midfield. Whilst I still think Ince and JFC will be very good players neither is ready to fill that role yet. Crofts is still coming back from ANOTHER long term injury and might not be the same player. If we sell Stephens it means less flexibility not more as it will probably limit us to 1 striker and 3 in CM.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We also have to accept at some stage Kayal will be absent, whether through disciplinary measures or injury. The thought of fielding an Albion side with neither Stephens nor Kayal is worrying. Crofts still has to prove he's back at Championship level, while JFC has proved time again, he's clearly below Championship level. Ince has a specific role which works exceptionally well during defensive periods of the game (ie last few minutes or negating a more attacking formation from the opposition). But sell Stephens and we are playing a massive risk that could backfire horribly.
I agree with you, except the word backfire. Backfiring is what happens when something that could work, fails. Selling Stephens is a fail from the start. It would go badly for us, but I don't see how that could be considered backfiring. It would be like playing Russian roulette with 6 bullets, and the coroners saying it backfired.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Forming a great partnership with Kayal, definitely shouldn't let him go and I don't think the club will seriously look at an offer at this level. Increasingly sounding like Derby are getting a bit desperate.......

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Stephens is class. We should be looking to hang onto him for as long as we can. Excellent work rate, great range of passing, can tackle and will pop up with the occasional goal. Keep him.

For Kayal's goal on Tuesday - which player had made himself available for Baldock early in his run and was available for Kayal, and was furthest forward to follow up any fumble ?

Stephens.jpg

It would be madness to let him go.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
£10 million and they have a deal. Plus throw in Tom Ince.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here