Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Albion boss Chris Hughton has brushed aside speculation that Derby County are lining up a bid for Dale Stephens.

Derby are weighing up a £2.5 million move for the midfielder, according to the Sun, after losing Will Hughes to a long-term knee injury and being linked with numerous potential replacements.

Stephens was ruled out himself for ten months by ankle damage before returning towards the end of last season.

Hughton said: I think he's grown in confidence and strength having recovered from the injury. He is just delighted to be back. It was a very frustrating period for him.

"He's a very good player for us. Again speculation is normal with a player like Dale. He is part, at this moment, of a midfield two with Beram (Kayal) that have done very well for us.

"We have to expect that speculation but it is what it is. He's very much a player that we are very keen to keep here."

Hughton also reiterated his stance over Lewis Dunk, the subject of a fresh £5 million bid from Fulham which Albion have rejected.

"The situation is no different with Lewis," Hughton said. "There's lots of speculation about him but he's very much a Brighton player and he's very committed at the moment."

Bobby Zamora is unlikely to be in the squad for Saturday's visit by Blackburn Rovers after groin tightness as he continues to build towards full fitness.

Hughton said: "Bobby's very close. Probably realistically it's going to be more next week."

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/13616375.Hughton_brushes_off_Albion_midfielder_transfer_speculation/

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hughton has a football brain - many on here don't. They have Championship Manager brains when it comes to football :thumbsup:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hughton has a football brain - many on here don't. They have Championship Manager brains when it comes to football :thumbsup:

I continue to have both admiration for and confidence in Hughton as a manager.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I continue to have both admiration for and confidence in Hughton as a manager.

Funny how there were many on here slating him and wanting him out back end of last yr! Most of us said we'll reserve judgement until at least Xmas / end of this season, when he's had time to build... He did a great job keeping us up last year, despite the very poor run at the end!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Funny how there were many on here slating him and wanting him out back end of last yr! Most of us said we'll reserve judgement until at least Xmas / end of this season, when he's had time to build... He did a great job keeping us up last year, despite the very poor run at the end!

'many'? I don't think I've seen ONE single post wanting Hughton out, ever.

Seen plenty questionning his style, and his percieved negativity, but none qustinning his position.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'many'? I don't think I've seen ONE single post wanting Hughton out, ever.

Seen plenty questionning his style, and his percieved negativity, but none qustinning his position.
The way the team played from January onwards made Hughton very easy to grumble about.

I'm amazed how quickly he's turned it around, which does make me wonder why he appeared to sit on hands for the first 4 months of his tenure.

Sure 'they aren't my players', but he took over when things weren't working, changed nothing and flirted with relegation while over seeing some of the most lifeless football imaginable, with just 2 highlights (Leeds & Birmingham).

Now it's a very structured 4-4-2, with plenty to get excited about.

Why wait? Why stick with failure?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The way the team played from January onwards made Hughton very easy to grumble about.

I'm amazed how quickly he's turned it around, which does make me wonder why he appeared to sit on hands for the first 4 months of his tenure.

Sure 'they aren't my players', but he took over when things weren't working, changed nothing and flirted with relegation while over seeing some of the most lifeless football imaginable, with just 2 highlights (Leeds & Birmingham).

To get Bloom and Barber to invest in the squad

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm with you here, and I'm one of those that @HKFC fingered for questioning CH's tactics/conservatism/tedium for last season's final 10 games. There's also been a transformation this season. Not that we're gung-ho now. Merely that we're capable and intelligent enough to know when to go for it, and when to try to consolidate.

But in answer to your question: why wait? Largely because of the tosh that we had. As one small example I give you: CMS, COG and Best as options up-front.
There is a simpler answer to your question: why stick with failure? We haven't. We've got rid of all those failures that we can, are looking to ship out those we as yet can't, and are finding superior replacements.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To get Bloom and Barber to invest in the squad
That's a dangerous game to play, he'd be out of a job if Millwall weren't quite so shitehouse, and the Albion could be away to Fleetwood Town this weekend.

Although he does seem to have shaken some pennies loose.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's a dangerous game to play
You're actually listening to Enrest - are you quite mad?

Barber doesn't have money to invest, he just oversee the way the overall budget is spent. Bloom keeps investing regardless, and they way he's been going recently doesn't suggest he's just trying to avoid a repeat of last season, he's aiming far higher. And our best players so far, are players that were here last year, we haven't broken our record fees yet.

Also the losses permitted under FFP have increased, so there's every chance Bloom is willing to increase our budget in line with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're actually listening to Enrest - are you quite mad?

Barber doesn't have money to invest, he just oversee the way the overall budget is spent. Bloom keeps investing regardless, and they way he's been going recently doesn't suggest he's just trying to avoid a repeat of last season, he's aiming far higher. And our best players so far, are players that were here last year, we haven't broken our record fees yet.

Also the losses permitted under FFP have increased, so there's every chance Bloom is willing to increase our budget in line with that.
So why were the they poor excuses for footballers last season, under Hughton, but playing to and above their potential now?

TB's investment is fantastic, but my understanding of FFP with all the Sunderland and Leicester money it was never going to be an issue, regardless with what happened to the threshold.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
TB's investment is fantastic, but my understanding of FFP with all the Sunderland and Leicester money it was never going to be an issue, regardless with what happened to the threshold.

We need chaileyjem here to explain this. He is good at this sort of thing :jester:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To be fair there are plenty of Gus (1st Amex season) and Oscar performances that fit this category!
That is very true, although crappy crabby negative football with the odd moment, is still preferable to 'Brighton nil'.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So why were the they poor excuses for footballers last season, under Hughton, but playing to and above their potential now?
Kayal wasn't. Baldock was injured. Stephens just came back from injury.

Add to that that it's difficult for a player to do well when the rest of the team is doing badly.

TB's investment is fantastic, but my understanding of FFP with all the Sunderland and Leicester money it was never going to be an issue, regardless with what happened to the threshold
Well if we were well under FFP last season (probably were) maybe Tony thought he'd let Sami get used to the Championship before giving him a massive wedge to spend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here