Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
This story is pretty credible as it comes via the Derby Telegraph who have decent sources.
However the story is Derby are looking at him and they've come up with a figure as to what they think he's worth.

This really doesn't mean Albion want to , will , have to, need to sell him though ..to anyone let alone Derby.
Bloom doesn't need the money, we have no FFP restrictions, he's a first team starter etc.
Players being linked with other clubs doesn't mean we have no AMBITION.
Its a good thing. Shows we have a decent squad.

Hold tight. :)

And weren't Derby also trying to get Butterfield from Huddersfield? Which suggests they're looking at various options to try and plug the gap in midfield left by the injuries to Hughes and Bryson.

I don't see we'd be under any pressure to help them out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But you were in team CMS so your view is invalid :wink:

He does do the fouling thing but I think thats because he isnt fully ft yet.

Yeah that's be benefit of the doubt he deserves I do always try to caveat that, but I wasn't convinced before he was injured, so it's easier for me to not be convinced now.

As for CMS I've definitely learned my lesson and will no longer support an Albion player while he's putting in 100% effort for the Albion.
I'm Team Best all the way, now.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I GENUINELY believe we have one of, if not THE BEST central midfield pairings in this league with Stephans and Kayal.

I think both are MUSTARD.

Agree with this. If we were to go for 4-5-1 on occasions then Ince or Crofts really would make our midfield rock solid.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As for CMS I've definitely learned my lesson and will no longer support an Albion player while he's putting in 100% effort for the Albion.
I'm Team Best all the way, now.

a58d63e8-73af-11e3-_499536b.jpg

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Tell Derby to up their bid to £3million ish, then use some of the Dunk money to get Butterfield (Huddersfield fans reckoned they couldn't turn down £4mil when I was on their forum the other day). Just a thought.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
If they'd made a bid 2 months ago, perhaps we would consider an offer of say, £3.5-4 million. I'd like to think there is no way we would sell one of our key players at this stage, especially not for that kind of fee.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
I like Dale Stephens and think he's a real integral part of our midfield. In my mind he is certainly worth £2.5m, but as we're under no pressure to sell, Derby will need to come up with a something a bit more attractive to persuade us to part with him.

As I understand it, Derby are actually after Jacob Butterfield and therefore this is probably a non starter, one of those story's put out to increase the pressure on Huddersfield and Butterfield that they might walk away etc.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Football is a lot about little mini partnerships. Stephens & Kayal have finally given us a settled partnership in the middle. Unfortunately it looks like our Dunk & Greer partnership is going to be broken. The last thing we need at the start of a season is to try and reform yet another partnership in the spine of the team. I can't see us selling - even if it was £4 million tbh. Football isn't all about getting good money for players - we need to build and to settle asap.

As for the Derby fan saying Dale would be behind 4 of their central midfielders or whatever point he was making - utter bollocks :thumbsup:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I know it is not as simple as this but if that money was used to buy text that could be the final piece of the jigsaw

Jul 21, 2015
We could be a threat this season for promotion so looks like other championship clubs want our best players to stop us and make their chances of promotion more realistic. Hands off!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I know it is not as simple as this but if that money was used to buy text that could be the final piece of the jigsaw

No it wouldn't. It would be like taking a bit from the centre of the jigsaw and making it squeeze in the edge of a jigsaw!

I honestly believe Championship Manager has a lot to answer for :lol:. It's not as simple as 'I'll take £4million for him and buy him with the money' - far, far, far from it...

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Stephens and Kayal are looking very good in the middle. If we are serious about pushing for top 6 we must keep these two together.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
No it wouldn't. It would be like taking a bit from the centre of the jigsaw and making it squeeze in the edge of a jigsaw!

I honestly believe Championship Manager has a lot to answer for :lol:. It's not as simple as 'I'll take £4million for him and buy him with the money' - far, far, far from it...

As I said it is a hypothetical situation but we do not have a player like text but we do have crafts and jfc and ince who could slot into the current formation. Having a player like tex would give Houghton flexibility within games to change tactics and react to the opposition. That could be the difference between play offs or automatic promotion.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Loved reading the Derby forum. It's like here but quieter. Their fans are hilarious........... "never heard of him therefore not all that......Did he play for Bayern Munich....... We can buy who we want". In fairness they have a point that there is so much better value to be had overseas IF it comes off but for a proven Championship campaigner £2.5m doesn't seem overly much in the current crazy marketplace. They seem massively confused over what sort of midfielder they want - box-to-box or defensive. Hopefully their new manager knows the difference but they are still chasing Butterfield and maybe Bridcutt................

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
It must be a worry for them, no wins with their novice manager after spending a fortune on players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here