Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Richie Towell is 25 and scored 43 goals in 96 appearances from midfield for Dundalk before signing for us. He would appear to be Stephens' understudy, the question is whether or not he is good enough to fill Stephens' boots..

Like you I hope we see significant progress from Towell but I'm not sure he is the right man to take on Stephens' role. Towell just doesn't have the same physical presence or midfield 'bite'. I fear we would miss Stephens for his combative role alongside Kayal. Expecting Towell to fill that void would in turn put more expectation on Kayal, which isn't ideal.

I suspect that other clubs in the Championship would love to see the Stephens / Kayal axis broken up. It's what makes our team tick and we look far less potent without them..

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
That's funny cos at least he provides insight from another perspective, and doesn't come across as a troll. You on the other hand just talk utter shite most of the time!

What do you expect from someone with a handle referring to a former politician who has nothing to do with Albion business any more? He's just a saddo living in a sad past.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Like you I hope we see significant progress from Towell but I'm not sure he is the right man to take on Stephens' role. Towell just doesn't have the same physical presence or midfield 'bite'. I fear we would miss Stephens for his combative role alongside Kayal. Expecting Towell to fill that void would in turn put more expectation on Kayal, which isn't ideal.

I suspect that other clubs in the Championship would love to see the Stephens / Kayal axis broken up. It's what makes our team tick and we look far less potent without them..

Towell was let go by Celtic and Hibs, he trialled with Cardiff but that didn't happen either. He's 25, JFC has gone out on a season-long loan, Crofts has gone too, Holla been in the wilderness since Sami fell on his sword. If this lad Towell isn't up to it then we're looking short on quality in the middle of the park.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
There is so much focus on Burnley being tight with their cash and Albion hanging on grimly to one of their star players.

However, less said about whether Stephens would really WANT to go there. Granted, his wages would surge and let's face it that's a major factor in any job offer. But on the flip side, along with Hull, Burnley is probably the least glamorous of all the Premier League clubs. At evens and joint favourites with Hull, they are also heavily tipped for relegation. There's a very realistic chance he'll spend a season at a club which is routinely smashed by other teams before the inevitable drop back into the Championship. Yes, the cash is a BIG sweetener, but it's not exactly a 'dream move' is it?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There is so much focus on Burnley being tight with their cash and Albion hanging on grimly to one of their star players.

However, less said about whether Stephens would really WANT to go there. Granted, his wages would surge and let's face it that's a major factor in any job offer. But on the flip side, along with Hull, Burnley is probably the least glamorous of all the Premier League clubs. At evens and joint favourites with Hull, they are also heavily tipped for relegation. There's a very realistic chance he'll spend a season at a club which is routinely smashed by other teams before the inevitable drop back into the Championship. Yes, the cash is a BIG sweetener, but it's not exactly a 'dream move' is it?

Not a dream move, no, but an opportunity to play at the highest level in the absence of other interest. I would want to take it and prove myself.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Not a dream move, no, but an opportunity to play at the highest level in the absence of other interest. I would want to take it and prove myself.

Should he go to Burnley then I'm not sure he'll get the opportunities to 'prove himself'. Lots of fire-fighting and back to the wall defending, but a showcase for his talents? I don't think so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Stephen Ward and Ashley Barnes chose them over us, with the latter having signed a new contract this summer. Their wages are obviously much better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stephen Ward and Ashley Barnes chose them over us, with the latter having signed a new contract this summer. Their wages are obviously much better.

I heard on very good authority that when they won promotion last time their wages were doubled and was kept in place for 1 season in the Championship. Presumably their latest promotion has meant that it will be kept at the same level for the coming season.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Quite. Is it completely ridiculous that I had a thought earlier that Derby's reason for continuing to reject Burnley's sizeable offers for Hendrick (who is like their 4th choice midfielder and frankly far less important to them than Stephens is to us) COULD be in the main down to them hoping it forces them to keep coming back for Dale and ultimately either break up our midfield duo or at the very least unsettle one half?

We couldn't really be much more of a direct rival for Derby going into the new season so it struck me that they really might be willing to do ANYTHING to disrupt such a rival even if it flies in the face of just pretty obvious business sense.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Quite. Is it completely ridiculous that I had a thought earlier that Derby's reason for continuing to reject Burnley's sizeable offers for Hendrick (who is like their 4th choice midfielder and frankly far less important to them than Stephens is to us) COULD be in the main down to them hoping it forces them to keep coming back for Dale and ultimately either break up our midfield duo up or at the very least unsettle one half?

We couldn't really be much more of a direct rival for Derby going into the new season so it struck me that they really might be willing to do ANYTHING to disrupt such a rival even if it flies in the face of just pretty obvious business sense.

Think you are right. Pearson is very clever and has done similar before.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Quite. Is it completely ridiculous that I had a thought earlier that Derby's reason for continuing to reject Burnley's sizeable offers for Hendrick (who is like their 4th choice midfielder and frankly far less important to them than Stephens is to us) COULD be in the main down to them hoping it forces them to keep coming back for Dale and ultimately either break up our midfield duo or at the very least unsettle one half?

As conspiracy theories go, that ain't a bad one!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Assuming as many on here suggest, we are holding out for more money for DS and he will eventuall. go to Burnley how about replacing him with Ravel Morrison if available either on loan or as a purchase. bit if a hot head but good playere

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Assuming as many on here suggest, we are holding out for more money for DS and he will eventuall. go to Burnley how about replacing him with Ravel Morrison if available either on loan or as a purchase. bit if a hot head but good playere

Dont want him anywhere near the squad wouldn't fit in. No good having talent if not applied.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this drawn out saga in buying and selling players something that has an effect on the squad morale? Probably got over a month to go yet too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Is this drawn out saga in buying and selling players something that has an effect on the squad morale? Probably got over a month to go yet too.

We had a similar saga last summer with Dunk, even starting the season, with him refusing to play in the cup game. It didn't do any damage to our August games.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Bit of a hot head? Like Hitler was a 'bit of a git'?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No way that Stephens will go anywhere until after the Derby game. If he's still our player then he uses up his suspension, if he goes now he misses Burnley's first game instead.
If he goes we will have someone lined up but it will be on our terms rather than theirs. With 12 months to go on his contract there will be a fee we will accept, at a guess around £6m. If he is going to stay then I would expect a new contract announcement in the next week or so.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
As for Towell, isnt he injured ? And probably now 2 weeks behind everyone else in terms of match fitness

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here