Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have accepted that he is is off, will be like a new signing if he's not :smile:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have accepted that he is is off, will be like a new signing if he's not :smile:

That's where I am, and I say that with no inside knowledge at all.

The Oliver Norwood signing appears to be a ready-made Stephens replacement and, listening to him on BBC Sussex ahead of the Derby game, it sounded like the deal came out of nowhere last week and was completed in no time at all. Now that could mean...

1) We were negotiating with Reading for some time and he only learned of the deal once agreement was reached.
2) We had other targets that fell through such that Norwood was the next on our shopping list.

I think 1 is unlikely. 2 could still mean he was intended to compliment Kayal, Stephens and SIdwell (and Towell, Ince etc) rather than replace Stephens, but I'd have thought that £5-6m would be difficult to resist when compared to £0 next May, as does seem likely.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I don't get all this fear, If it was Kayal i would understand. Stephens in my opinion is a very good player, but not irreplaceable. Take away Stephens but keep Kayal, we'll be fine, but when it's the other way around, i'm not so confident.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
That's where I am, and I say that with no inside knowledge at all.

The Oliver Norwood signing appears to be a ready-made Stephens replacement and, listening to him on BBC Sussex ahead of the Derby game, it sounded like the deal came out of nowhere last week and was completed in no time at all. Now that could mean...

1) We were negotiating with Reading for some time and he only learned of the deal once agreement was reached.
2) We had other targets that fell through such that Norwood was the next on our shopping list.

I think 1 is unlikely. 2 could still mean he was intended to compliment Kayal, Stephens and SIdwell (and Towell, Ince etc) rather than replace Stephens, but I'd have thought that £5-6m would be difficult to resist when compared to £0 next May, as does seem likely.

It also makes sense from a Burnley point of view to not complete this until this week. He serves his ban with us then and is available for their 1st game. If we have been offered £6m it will be very hard to reject. I would expect that if there is anything in this speculation that this will be announced early in the week. If we get to Friday and he is in the matchday squad I think we are serious about keeping him. In fact if we are going to, you could even see him v Colchester.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We'll start with 10 midfielders in the squad ( this is based on past seasons where we have always had 10 or 11).

Kayal
Stephens
Norwood
Sidwell
Towell

Knockaert
Murphy
Skalak
LuaLua
March

Hughton has gone on record as saying Holla and Ince are likely going ( Ince loan ).

Lose Stephens and we are 1 short so will surely bring in another.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't get all this fear, If it was Kayal i would understand. Stephens in my opinion is a very good player, but not irreplaceable. Take away Stephens but keep Kayal, we'll be fine, but when it's the other way around, i'm not so confident.

As I posted before, Albion fans seem to rate Kayal over Stephens whilst outside of that bubble Stephens is seen as the better player.

Stephens brings us goals and Kayal just does not score enough for me, although his game is clearly very strong in other departments.

And, outside of any direct comparisons, they just seem to work so well together. Will your Stephens Mk II, be it Oliver Norwood or A.N.Other, work as well in tandem with Kayal?

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Stephens will be off now we have signed a replacement and he has served his suspension. It's all about getting the best deal now. I have full confidence in Sidwell based on his performance at the end of last season although I recognize he won't be able to play every game. Get in an quality attacking midfielder and it's a job well done.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stephens will be off now we have signed a replacement and he has served his suspension. It's all about getting the best deal now. I have full confidence in Sidwell based on his performance at the end of last season although I recognize he won't be able to play every game. Get in an quality attacking midfielder and it's a job well done.
We haven't signed his replacement....

..... yet.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think Norwood was signed in part as a contingency against Stephens going rather than a direct replacement but if Stephens does go, we'll get another midfielder either as first choice ahead of Norwood/Sidwell or as cover (assuming Ince and Holla are shipped out either permanently or on loan). Given the length of his contract, £6.5m or anything like it is too good to refuse for someone who appears to want to move oop North anyway. Would be sad to see him go but we already have good options and will probably get more.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Was his Twitter bio always so, well, vague?

Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 08.22.07.png

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Question is was the £8M we had agreed on Pritchard including the £6.5M for Stephens or was that bid on the basis we will keep Stephens so if he goes will give a 14.5M war chest.

Although of course it might not have been £8M now, maybe some million + the rest if promotion achieved.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
As much as I'd love to keep Stephens I'm getting the impression he doesn't want to be here

I think he does - but he also wants Premier League and feels he can hold his own there

From everything I know of him he is a great bloke and it's not about money it's about testing himself at the highest level. If a move materialises then he will be happy and go for it if he thinks it is right, if it doesn't he isn't likely to end up sulking and will instead get his head down and carry on playing to his highest possible standard

(we have a mutual friend so these are just observations and may not be accurate)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think Norwood was signed in part as a contingency against Stephens going rather than a direct replacement but if Stephens does go, we'll get another midfielder either as first choice ahead of Norwood/Sidwell or as cover (assuming Ince and Holla are shipped out either permanently or on loan). Given the length of his contract, £6.5m or anything like it is too good to refuse for someone who appears to want to move oop North anyway. Would be sad to see him go but we already have good options and will probably get more.

Agree entirely. Reminds me of the Dunk scenario where we signed Uwe and Goldson as cover for Dunk's potential departure. The only difference this time is Stephens is probably actually leaving... £6.5m for a player with a year left? I'd probably take that but he is a quality player and will be missed.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Question is was the £8M we had agreed on Pritchard including the £6.5M for Stephens or was that bid on the basis we will keep Stephens so if he goes will give a 14.5M war chest.

Although of course it might not have been £8M now, maybe some million + the rest if promotion achieved.

Have you forgotten the £3.5 mill we offered for Duffy on top of that figure?

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I can't believe that Norwood, who just a few weeks ago was in the Euros unlike any of our other players except Jiri, was bought as cover. He was bought to play, whether alongside or instead of Stephens I have no idea. I'd love Stephens to stay but if he goes he goes and we move on.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
He must look at Burnley's signings and think they're coming back down again. With us, he could enjoy promotion and be in the premiership next, while Burnley are relegated and Dyche moves onto a bigger club leaving them in the championship forever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here