Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Booooo after 11 years of postieing I finally lost my virginity :cry:

Today I was on the receiving end of my first proper dog bite.

The fooker shot out past it's owner as I was walking away from the house, and sunk it's teeth into my calf.
Imagine my surprise to turn and see a cocker spaniel - christ knows how bad of a dog owner you have to be to create a monster out of that.

Naturally I was somewhat pi$$ed off.

I had the owner following me down the road with a bit of kitchen towel offering to tend the wound. I kept telling her to leave me alone, saying I won't be able to remain civil for much longer, when she finally muttered the 'usual line':-

'Are you going to report it'?
'Yes, it's a dangerous dog'.
'But it's not dangerous' (by now blood is pouring out of my leg)
'You really have to leave me alone, right now'.

Just back from the doctors as one of the 5 puncture wounds wouldn't stop bleeding, it was too deep to close up.

That'll learn ya!

Shorts in November :rolleyes:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat, a spaniel. You should of least said it was a Alsatian or worst!!
Does it really matter when the beast is teeth deep in your calf muscle?

As a very general rule the bigger the family dog the less likely it is to bite, they are just all noise.
I'd make a decent bet that Jack Russell's account for more dog bites than any other breed, although obviously the big boys do considerably more damage.

A couple of weeks ago I was delivering right out in the sticks.
I know the house well, and there's normally 4 happy dogs keen to say hello.
While this is going on we are usually watched by an Alsatian cross, going mental in a Hannibal Lector style cage.

The day in question I hadn't clocked that 'Hannibal' wasn't going nuts.
As I was making a fuss of the other dogs he came charging round the corner.

I had just enough time to figuratively shat myself, a second or so more and it would have been literally.
I was completely penned in behind the now shut gate, with only a corner to back into.

Fortunately Hannibal was lovely and clearly upset about being caged and missing out on all the fussing.
But for a moment I thought I was going to get ripped to shreds.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Apart from base layer gloves under my winter gloves, I was as wrapped up as I've ever been this morning. Drink stayed nice and cold though! Always puts the willies up me hearing gentle crushing as I ride over frost and seeing iced over puddles on the road side. Had to do as tomorrow is proper shite.

In other news, still tender on that over now 3 month old hip injury.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dutch National Headwind Cycling Championships :lolol:

http://road.cc/content/news/211843-...l-rides-200km-home-after-koksijde-cyclo-cross

http://road.cc/content/news/172776-...dutch-national-headwind-cycling-championships

230284-akNK2016tegenwind2-fd6c29-large-1479657589.jpg

230279-akNK2016tegenwind17-a7fa82-large-1479657336.JPG

230272-akNK2016tegenwind9-0c5fd8-large-1479657320.jpg

Hi all, this is the first time I've even opened this thread, let alone posted on it! I hope this won't dissuade you from giving the advice I seek, although I imagine most of you will not be that familiar with hub gears. I bought an old Triumph hybrid with a traditional 3-speed Sturmey Archer set-up which worked perfectly until I moved the switch about 3" along the curvey swept-back handlebars so I could actually reach it without taking my hand away from the handle! I was surprised to find this resulted in 1st gear switching itself into 2nd a few seconds after setting off, and indeed any time I switched down to 1st. I put up with this for several days, partially because I rather liked the 'automatic gear' feature that I had produced :) However I've now read that it's not a good idea to run it like this, so I'm expecting to only have to do some sort of fine tuning on it. I've returned the switch so it's out of reach again, which has returned it to GWO.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi all, this is the first time I've even opened this thread, let alone posted on it! I hope this won't dissuade you from giving the advice I seek, although I imagine most of you will not be that familiar with hub gears. I bought an old Triumph hybrid with a traditional 3-speed Sturmey Archer set-up which worked perfectly until I moved the switch about 3" along the curvey swept-back handlebars so I could actually reach it without taking my hand away from the handle! I was surprised to find this resulted in 1st gear switching itself into 2nd a few seconds after setting off, and indeed any time I switched down to 1st. I put up with this for several days, partially because I rather liked the 'automatic gear' feature that I had produced :) However I've now read that it's not a good idea to run it like this, so I'm expecting to only have to do some sort of fine tuning on it. I've returned the switch so it's out of reach again, which has returned it to GWO.
Sorry Notts but Sturmey Archer is a long way from my comfort zone.
Until someone else pops up, you'll have to make do with Sheldon:-

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/adj.html

I guarantee you the answer to your question lies in that link.
But be warned, as is always the case with Mr Brown, so does the answer to a bazillion other questions. :lol:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Riding past Blazing Saddles earlier and noticed it's no more. Have they moved, gone online or just closed? If the latter, it's another LBS loss.

Yeah Glyn's finally shut up shop, after the longest wind down in history.
His heart's not been in it for quite a while causing some amusement between me Col & Phil.
It was very much pot luck as to whether he sorted our bikes, that day, week, or if at all, inexplicably Phil was usually on the wrong end.

It's a shame he's gone not only because Blazing Saddles has been an institution in the village for nearly 20 years.
Not even the fact he's an excellent mechanic.
Nor he's was just a few hundred yards from our houses.
I'm most pee'ed off because he was the bestest bartaperer in the business. :lol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't imagine it'll be anything other than shitehouse, but it would be remiss not to mention The Tour de Celeb is on Chl 5 @7pm.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I take it all back, that was hilarious, some of it even intentionally funny.
Although I do have to admit there was more laughing at than with.

Louie Spence's reaction to riding down a mountain at 60 mph was worth the entrance fee alone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bored Stat here.

These guys popped up on Road CC in an article entitled 9 components to make your bike look badass

http://www.kapz.com/

Would there be any interest in customized headset caps?
The individual price is £16.95, although I would hope that could be reduced for a bulk order.

Keeping it simple as below, just swapping out the chopper for an Albion seagull.

Bar cap.png

I'm happy to set the ball rolling if enough people are keen, or failing that you're on your own.
Albion blue doesn't match any of my bikes. :lol:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Bored Stat here.

These guys popped up on Road CC in an article entitled 9 components to make your bike look badass

http://www.kapz.com/

Would there be any interest in customized headset caps?
The individual price is £16.95, although I would hope that could be reduced for a bulk order.

Keeping it simple as below, just swapping out the chopper for an Albion seagull.

View attachment 79838

I'm happy to set the ball rolling if enough people are keen, or failing that you're on your own.
Albion blue doesn't match any of my bikes. :lol:

Our local cycling club were looking to order club crest design headset caps too. I can't remember the exact price, but I do remember laughing at it like I've just laughed at yours. Suffice to say...it's a no from me.

More NSC cycling caps, that's the way to go if you're bored and need another project:thumbsup:
Mine is one of the best buys I ever made, and we know for a fact they're highly sought after on here. I'd certainly buy another one of those.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Said it was definitely worth a watch. Which I shall do. I'll report back in a couple of days.
I hope you enjoy it, there's a couple of bits I'm still laughing at now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here