Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Track World Championships...wish I'd been there. Another gold for Laura Trott in the Omnium. Kiren and Madison to come. Compelling viewing.

I'm going to remind myself how to ride a bike this week.

Had a fantastic morning there today. Shame we didn't see any finals, but good to see Laura Trott and Jason Kenny, and loads of really good racing (and even a couple of crashes!).

Also nice to see Ed Clancy wandering through the park to the velodrome feeling his bike looking very normal...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I really can't get track cycling at all. Think I'd rather watch the Paris - Nice prologue than that. Although I won't because I've already seen the results.

Glorious weather today and finally got some half decent miles in at long last. Those Odlo bib tights are amazing for £36! I can see why they retail at £100. Got them from Amazon believe it or not. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...chill+bike&dpPl=1&dpID=31zBOy3e5UL&ref=plSrch

I picked a team for Paris Nice last night, whilst heavily intoxicated. I had little memory of doing so until lunch time today. Looking at it now, it seems I am representing Aaland Islands, and I appear to have randomly picked riders up to 100 credits with no thought as to their current form.

I'm gonna win.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Had a fantastic morning there today. Shame we didn't see any finals, but good to see Laura Trott and Jason Kenny, and loads of really good racing (and even a couple of crashes!).

Also nice to see Ed Clancy wandering through the park to the velodrome feeling his bike looking very normal...

Excellent. Was the atmosphere as good as it sounds on the tele? How much were tickets?

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Excellent. Was the atmosphere as good as it sounds on the tele? How much were tickets?

The atmosphere was pretty good - it got a little quiet at times but when the Brits were riding it was very load (considering there weren't any finals). Found the crowd pretty respectful of all the riders as well.

We paid about £75 for 2 adults and 2 kids which I didn't think was bad. We were in the top tier, but only a few rows back so view was great. I would definitely go again.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The atmosphere was pretty good - it got a little quiet at times but when the Brits were riding it was very load (considering there weren't any finals). Found the crowd pretty respectful of all the riders as well.

We paid about £75 for 2 adults and 2 kids which I didn't think was bad. We were in the top tier, but only a few rows back so view was great. I would definitely go again.

Sounds great value. I must get myself sorted next time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't watch too much of this Madison as all it's doing is (as usual) making me wish I was a Belgiumist.

God I loves their kit. :love:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I can't watch too much of this Madison as all it's doing is (as usual) making me wish I was a Belgiumist.

God I loves their kit. :love:

Well, I hope you did watch it. That was superb! Wiggo and Cav, what a performance, gaining the lap back that they needed right near the end, and cycling to gold. What a race! The Madison is just superb to watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well, I hope you did watch it. That was superb! Wiggo and Cav, what a performance, gaining the lap back that they needed right near the end, and cycling to gold. What a race! The Madison is just superb to watch.

I know it was brilliant, wasn't it.

The kids had no idea what they were cheering :lol:

As for Cav rolling around on the floor appealing to the ref for a foul, shameful behaviour...

...oh no wait a minute!

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
Put the World Track afternoon session on to record so we could watch it when we got back from London, but foolishly chose the BBC coverage. 5 laps into the Madison, they announce it's going to the red button and we have Davis Cup tennis to watch - grr!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Put the World Track afternoon session on to record so we could watch it when we got back from London, but foolishly chose the BBC coverage. 5 laps into the Madison, they announce it's going to the red button and we have Davis Cup tennis to watch - grr!

:ffsparr:

Meanwhile, Carlton Kirby (I don't care, I like him) and rob Hayles were brilliant on their commentary and their excitement. Eurosport covered these championships superbly well.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
:ffsparr:

Meanwhile, Carlton Kirby (I don't care, I like him) and rob Hayles were brilliant on their commentary and their excitement. Eurosport covered these championships superbly well.

Yeah - I was in a rush this morning and just stuck on what I saw first. Eurosport have got highlights later so have got those on to record as well now!

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Credit where it's due, Kirby can call a tight finish.

It's probably not fair to judge any commentator when they have 4 hours of live broadcasting ahead of them on consecutive days.

But please Carlton:-

1 - Stop with the jokes, you're just not funny - you are the only person laughing.
B - Races have a tendency to finish at the end - stop calling them with 2kms to go.

"There's no way x can get caught now".
"They've caught x, a great win for y, nobody saw that coming"

Carlton everybody saw that coming, we all knew it was coming from the moment you said it wasn't.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
...but, but you still make the rest of us look like we're not trying. (And we really are, honest!)
But clearly I'm also not trying either, second is just first last. :down:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can you believe that Paddy Power have Gallopin at 200/1 for today's stage!?

There's a bump 3km from the finish and two sterrato sections. Added to that, it's currently snowing at the start line! This may well not be the bunch sprint Kittel win the bookies think it's going to be today.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can you believe that Paddy Power have Gallopin at 200/1 for today's stage!?

There's a bump 3km from the finish and two sterrato sections. Added to that, it's currently snowing at the start line! This may well not be the bunch sprint Kittel win the bookies think it's going to be today.

Edit: Just gone to have a little punt and he's 66/1 :( Worthy of a sneaky e/W £1 though and Bling as 10/1 back up.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[video]http://www.kinomap.com/watch/n2x9z3[/video]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here