Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey, Stat, kudos for doing a long ride in...that. You targetting major mileage this year?
No not really.

I enjoyed my 5 of the Top 100 climbs, and the Isle of Wight rides, so I'd imagine I'll be giving some thought to something 'epic'.
Although after today, epic feels a long way off, not for the first time this winter, I was really hurting quite a distance from home.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
No not really.

I enjoyed my 5 of the Top 100 climbs, and the Isle of Wight rides, so I'd imagine I'll be giving some thought to something 'epic'.
Although after today, epic feels a long way off, not for the first time this winter, I was really hurting quite a distance from home.

Come and do l'etape with me and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Come and do l'etape with me and [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION]!
I've slowly come to the conclusion I'm not cut out for cycling up hill for a couple of hours.

Had you said Roubaix that would be a different story altogether.
If I ever were to venture into Europe that is my first port of call, I want to do an event I can win :lolol: :facepalm:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've slowly come to the conclusion I'm not cut out for cycling up hill for a couple of hours.

If I ever were to venture into Europe that is my first port of call, I want to do an event I can win :lolol: :facepalm:

You can win in the mountains Stat. I promise to follow you all the way up each one just to make sure ;-)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
12507477_770173873086637_6043674379369760202_n.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can win in the mountains Stat. I promise to follow you all the way up each one just to make sure ;-)
Yeah but coming second to last in l'etape is unlike to get me a pro contract, that I so far been cheated out of.

I need to be crossing the line at the velodrome, arms aloft, before opening a packet of Mr Porky's Pork Scratchings, for the camera.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yeah but coming second to last in l'etape is unlike to get me a pro contract, that I so far been cheated out of.

I need to be crossing the line at the velodrome, arms aloft, before opening a packet of Mr Porky's Pork Scratchings, for the camera.

Perhaps if you see this year's l'etape as just 3 downhill sections then you'll feel better about it.

All that said I done, I understand why you'd want to do the Roubaix (although your gentleman's undercarriage might not after the event.)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Perhaps if you see this year's l'etape as just 3 downhill sections then you'll feel better about it.

All that said I done, I understand why you'd want to do the Roubaix (although your gentleman's undercarriage might not after the event.)
The punishment of Roubaix is definitely more thing.

Although I'll certainly be eagerly awaiting yours and PM l'etape reviews.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

That's quite a timely post SB. Me and the armchairclubber are just starting to make plans for another trip to Roubaix in April. Nothing so mad as what Pogue & Hamilton done mind. Plan so far is to possibly catch a morning ferry on the Saturday and drive down to a pre booked B&B/hotel in Kemmel or thereabouts. Go for a mediumish ride on Saturday on a route, yet to be decided, but definitely including the Kemmelberg and finished off with some Belgium beers and cake. On the Sunday, ride down to Roubaix and watch the race in the velodrome on the big screen and see all the riders come in. Ride back to car and then short drive back for a late evening ferry.

You'd be very welcome to join us. Could be the perfect introduction for you to get a small taste of cobbles and the every direction winds down there to see if you fancy taking on the proper sportive another year? :thumbsup:

Ideally we could do with two riders to make a group of four, so it's an open invite to any of the geeks. Sure if we had plenty of interest then it just means taking another car load. Any takers?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's quite a timely post SB. Me and the armchairclubber are just starting to make plans for another trip to Roubaix in April. Nothing so mad as what Pogue & Hamilton done mind. Plan so far is to possibly catch a morning ferry on the Saturday and drive down to a pre booked B&B/hotel in Kemmel or thereabouts. Go for a mediumish ride on Saturday on a route, yet to be decided, but definitely including the Kemmelberg and finished off with some Belgium beers and cake. On the Sunday, ride down to Roubaix and watch the race in the velodrome on the big screen and see all the riders come in. Ride back to car and then short drive back for a late evening ferry.

You'd be very welcome to join us. Could be the perfect introduction for you to get a small taste of cobbles and the every direction winds down there to see if you fancy taking on the proper sportive another year? :thumbsup:

Ideally we could do with two riders to make a group of four, so it's an open invite to any of the geeks. Sure if we had plenty of interest then it just means taking another car load. Any takers?

That's very kind and a nice idea, I'll give it some thought but I imagine I'll say no.

You know how a toddler will scream his way round the supermarket because he wants to go on the 50p digger, outside.
Then after he finally gets his go, he'll scream 10 times worse and will refuse to let go, because he wants another go.

I can't help thinking that'll be me after a medium spin taking in a few race highlights. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's very kind and a nice idea, I'll give it some thought but I imagine I'll say no.

You know how a toddler will scream his way round the supermarket because he wants to go on the 50p digger, outside.
Then after he finally gets his go, he'll scream 10 times worse and will refuse to let go, because he wants another go.

I can't help thinking that'll be me after a medium spin taking in a few race highlights. :lolol:

Sounds like the P-R sportive is calling you then. Good luck with that! Think you've got to have a bit of a screw loose to want to do that one :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Sounds like the P-R sportive is calling you then. Good luck with that! Think you've got to have a bit of a screw loose to want to do that one :lol:

Word.
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] keeps trying to make me do it again, despite hating me for persuading him to do it in the first place.

Long hills and mountains in the sun>>>>>cobbles in the frozen, windswept north.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Word.
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] keeps trying to make me do it again, despite hating me for persuading him to do it in the first place.

Long hills and mountains in the sun>>>>>cobbles in the frozen, windswept north.

When you put it like that, cobbles suddenly sound appealing to me! I can't think of anything worse than cycling in hot weather, let alone if it involves going up hill for miles in it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
When you put it like that, cobbles suddenly sound appealing to me! I can't think of anything worse than cycling in hot weather, let alone if it involves going up hill for miles in it.

Yeah, you've said that before. I can't get my head round it. Cycling in the sunshine is a gift from the Heavens that is too rarely available in this godforsaken land...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It has been pretty much since the chaps went off and did it.

Before then, like all normal people, I had the hots for Ventoux, D'Heuz and esp the Tourmalet, having spent some non cycling time in SW France and loving every second.

I know it makes me 'special', (& not in the most flattering of context) but I'll be more disappointed if I hang up my cleats without trashing myself in some god forsaken field in Belgium, than up some massive hill.
I'd even be a tad annoyed if my year happened to be nice weather. :facepalm:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It has been pretty much since the chaps went off and did it.

Before then, like all normal people, I had the hots for Ventoux, D'Heuz and esp the Tourmalet, having spent some non cycling time in SW France and loving every second.

I know it makes me 'special', (& not in the most flattering of context) but I'll be more disappointed if I hang up my cleats without trashing myself in some god forsaken field in Belgium, than up some massive hill.
I'd even be a tad annoyed if my year happened to be nice weather. :facepalm:

Hear, hear!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Germany open first cycling Autobahn

Germany is taking its cycling infrastructure pretty seriously, if the new ‘bicycle autobahn’ is anything to go by. The first stretch of the €200,000 cycling motorway in the northwest Ruhr region has just been unveiled on what will be a 100km route. Here there are no red lights, no cars and trucks and nothing stopping cyclists from doing their thing.

When the full route is completed, ten towns will be connected, with two million people living within two kilometres of the path and four universities being connected. The path is reportedly around four metres wide, well lit and cleared of snow in the winter.

Studies have claimed that 50,000 cars could be removed from the roads each day if commuters turn to two wheels to get around.

Reports say the first stretch of the two-lane path was co-funded by the European Union (50 per cent), the North Rhine-Westphalia state (30 per cent) and development group RVR (20 per cent).

Martin Toennes of RVR said: “Without (state) support, the project would have no chance.”

Cycling infrastructure in Germany is the responsibility of the local authorities, so outside investment is hugely important to see these plans come into reality. Toennes says talks are ongoing to raise the extra money needed to complete the 100km route.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cycling autobahns sound mega, but over here they'd be full of pikeys on mini-motos, mopeds and the odd car. That's without the broken glass and dog toffee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here