Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You got the XL, you are smaller than me I'd say, or is that just a lack of self awareness?
I did check there was still xxl available, but didn't like to say! :blush:

I certainly wouldn't have been disappointed if I'd paid full price, so for under £30 it's a steal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No seriously, how is the XL on you? Snug? I can't be an XXL...
My chest is 41 inches (nice tits) the size guide has xl at 42, xxl at 44.

It's certainly not tight across me, there's a tiny bit of wiggle room, but it just fits.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If this rumour were to actually come to fruition, I think it's fair to say that we all have something to be very excited about!

_87096413_londonproposedroutes-amended28july2015-2_page_4.jpg

Standing on Battery Hill for this would be very very special indeed!!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Just realised these are not 2017 ToB stage proposals, but rather 2017 TdF Grand Depart stages that eventually TfL had to turn down due to budget cuts. To say I'm gutted is an understatement :cry:

I should have paid more attention to the month in the caption :facepalm:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That would have been a belter of a TDF stage and no mistake.

More front light frustrations. My dirt cheap not blindingly bright but a piece of mind back up front light which has never misbehaved switched itself on and then refused to be switched off. I now store both in bits with batteries out. This one may have a single journey left in it, to the funking bin.

Pleased to sneak out this morning but SOB on exertion. Probably that previous virus doing a boomerang. Hope to get out loads over crimbo to get to decent pace ready for some 2016 fun.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bloody well knew it:-

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
T'is a shame the Big Board nimrods will act like...well...nimrods over this, as I thought it was mildly amusing.
I just can't be doing with the ball ache, so I'll keep it in house.

http://road.cc/content/blog/173793-when-will-madness-end

Shocking news from the front line of the war between cyclists and motorists

This latest installment of road rage news comes from the mean streets of Hove, where the following was witnessed just a few days ago.

A cyclist was riding correctly along a main road when suddenly a white van pulled out into his path from a junction to his right, causing the cyclist to brake sharply. The cyclist shook his head and waited for the van to get out of his way.

The van driver wound down his passenger side window and shouted over to the cyclist: “I’m really sorry mate. I just didn’t look before I pulled out.”

The cyclist smiled before replying: “No problem! I know you didn’t do it deliberately.”

Both then proceeded on their way with no further comment.

Merry Christmas!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
News item: http://www.shorehamherald.co.uk/new...66?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed

Crash Stats:

http://www.trl.co.uk/umbraco/custom/report_files/PPR445_new.pdf

You may have to register to read the article.

No surprises to me.

It would be quite easy to pick out isolated stats to prove a point.

Some picked out conclusions:

Jumping red lights. Cyclists were twice as likely as motorists to jump red lights and disobey traffic signs. But that means a hell a lot of motorists do as well.
Motorist responsible for the crashes about 66% and cyclists mainly responsible at 7%. (Young cyclists > 24 years more likely to be at fault).
Not looking properly is the main cause of error by motorists and cyclists.
Entering the road from pavements of paths onto the road is a cause when the cylist is at fault and ocurs quite often.
Wearing dark clothing at night by cyclists: this only seems to be a major cause in unlit rural road (which are dangerous for cyclists at all time of the day).
75% of crashes occur at junctions.
Inebriated cyclists are statistically more likely to crash.
Overtaking too close to cyclists mentioned as a major cause of crashes, more often on rural roads.
Bad weather not statistically reckoned to be a major factor (perhaps because less cycling occurs in bad weather (this is the only stat that I think could be misleading).

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
This cyclist jumping red lights stuff interests me greatly. I see loads of RLJ , but all the cyclists who do it are massively careful so there is little risk. (I'm always happy to wait patiently at the lights enjoying a sneaky rest). However, for pedestrians to RLJ is much more common place and not always carefully. It appears as a ped you can listen, have a quick half look and chuck yourself into the carriageway.

So, red lights only matter to:
1) all motorists
2) most cyclists
3) pedestrians who are teaching their kids how to cross the road

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Just done my first standard Sunday ride in ages. 2 coffees and two turkey, stuffing & mayo in toast snacks afterwards.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I did check there was still xxl available, but didn't like to say! :blush:

I certainly wouldn't have been disappointed if I'd paid full price, so for under £30 it's a steal.

The XL is perfect on me - really nice top, chuffed to bits as the wife intercepted it when it arrived and wrapped it so didn't get it until Xmas Day!

MERRY XMAS GEEKS!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The XL is perfect on me - really nice top, chuffed to bits as the wife intercepted it when it arrived and wrapped it so didn't get it until Xmas Day!

MERRY XMAS GEEKS!
It is a cracking top, I'm pleased you like it.

I've backed myself into a bit of a corner, with mine.
I should have worn it on Monday which was a filthy afternoon.
Instead I thought:-

'hmmm the weather is too bad for this piece of bad weather winter kit, I'll wear something a little more disposable'.

Begging the question - When am I going to wear my specific winter kit?

Last edited:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
It is a cracking top, I'm pleased you like it.

I've backed myself into a bit of a corner, with mine.
I should have worn it on Monday which was a filthy afternoon.
Instead I thought:-

'hmmm the weather is too bad for this piece of bad weather winter kit, I'll wear something a little more disposable'.

Begging the question - When am I going to wear my specific winter kit?

I'm sure we'll get some cold stuff sooner or later.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I've just acquired a Garmin 810 with blue tooth function. Quick question, do I need to have blue tooth on whilst riding, both on my phone and Garmin?? Or do I just need to blue tooth ride after I've saved it?? Any help please.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I don't know how I managed to download ride yesterday to Strava from Garmin. It must of been a fluke. Need help please I've made all the connections via Garmin connect to Strava, but I doesn't download ride??

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
http://www.marcellobrivio.com/projects/strava-toolbox/?logout=

STRAVA YEAR-TO-DATE REPORT

This year, I logged 154 rides.
An average of 12.83 rides per month, 2.91 ride per week, 0.42 rides per day

In terms of distance, 5355 miles
It is roughly like riding from Tokyo to Los Angeles
This is exactly the 21.51% of earth's circumference

My average distance this year is 56 kms per ride, an average of 718.2 kms per month 162.6 kms per week.

My total riding time this year is 12 days 18 hours 20 minutes 44 seconds
This is 5.26% of my life excluding an average sleep time of 8 hours

My average speed this year is 28.13km/h
It can be converted in 17.48 mph.

Talking about elevation, this year I climbed exactly 493.1 meters per ride
Or, from another perspective, an average of 6328.6 meters per month
I climbed 1432.9 meters per week
This year I climbed 75943 meters. Approximately, it's like climbing Mount McKinley x12 times.

At about 50000m I would have passed the stratopause and entered the mesosphere.
This is the layer where most meteors burn up upon atmospheric entrance,

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That's some going SB.
[MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION]. It can be a bit funny. If you want to do what I've settled on: Download garmin express. Open a garmin account. When you get back from a ride, open garmin express first then open your garmin account before the strava one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here