Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Taken from a link in the lottery thread:-

The following is a breakdown of what lottery winner Brad Duke did with his $220 million Powerball jackpot in 2005

Safe, low-risk investments such as municipal bonds $45 Million
Aggressive investments like oil and gas and real estate $35 Million
A family foundation $1.3 Million
A trip to Tahiti with 17 friends $63,000
Mortgage paid off on his 1,400 square-foot house $125,000
Student loan paid off $18,000
New bicycles $65,000 :clap2::clap2::clap2:
Used black VW Jetta $14,500
Annual gift to each family member $12,000

He's one of us. :lol:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I left work early tonight, 4.15. It was sunny and I thought I deserved some headspace.

I headed west, and despite a tough headwind, all was good. Cycling home was bound to be fun.

When I reached Ferring, the Heavens opened. It was torrential, and remained so for the final 21 miles home. I feel hypothermic. I have never been so wet. The roads were flooded, and it was quite worrying trying to skirt around the water with drivers showing little compassion or empathy.

I got a new Altura Night Vision coat for Christmas. I can report that it is fantastic.

I also got a wooly 'Belgian Cycle Cap'. Highly recommend.

My Rivelo tights were also warm and comfortable throughout - check them out on Sports Pursuit.

But my socks were soaking- the first failure for my Endura overshoes.

I may lie in in the morning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chapeau [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], although just to rub salt into the wounds, it hasn't rained here!!

The old adage is never truer than cycling:-

'There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing'.

Last night I finally manned up and wore my new 'Albion' winter top, and it was cracking.

I have never been able to get my feet right, so much so in fact I'm seriously looking at (fookin expensive) winter road boots.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Chapeau [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION], although just to rub salt into the wounds, it hasn't rained here!!

The old adage is never truer than cycling:-

'There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing'.

Last night I finally manned up and wore my new 'Albion' winter top, and it was cracking.

I have never been able to get my feet right, so much so in fact I'm seriously looking at (fookin expensive) winter road boots.

What? I was within five miles of you!

It's not fair.

Sniff.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What? I was within five miles of you!

It's not fair.

Sniff.
Chances are, if you'd ridden to the river then back, you'd have just had surface water to deal with.
Still at least you can tell yourself it's character building, and you'll appreciate the sun on your back, even more.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Chances are, if you'd ridden to the river then back, you'd have just had surface water to deal with.
Still at least you can tell yourself it's character building, and you'll appreciate the sun on your back, even more.

That's exactly what I am telling myself.

And, do you know, I enjoyed it anyway? In a very masochistic kind of way.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's exactly what I am telling myself.

And, do you know, I enjoyed it anyway? In a very masochistic kind of way.
Yeah I'm in that zone too, I think that's probably because it's not actually cold.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Got back to extended commutes home and recording the rides this week. Tail winds home along the seafront and had forgotten how frustrating it is with stop start at traffic lights when you're trying to get your avg speed figures up. Far more relaxing when riding without recording it.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Got back to extended commutes home and recording the rides this week. Tail winds home along the seafront and had forgotten how frustrating it is with stop start at traffic lights when you're trying to get your avg speed figures up. Far more relaxing when riding without recording it.

The secret is, don't worry about average speeds. You'll get there in the end. It's all about how far you go.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I left work early tonight, 4.15. It was sunny and I thought I deserved some headspace.

I headed west, and despite a tough headwind, all was good. Cycling home was bound to be fun.

When I reached Ferring, the Heavens opened. It was torrential, and remained so for the final 21 miles home. I feel hypothermic. I have never been so wet. The roads were flooded, and it was quite worrying trying to skirt around the water with drivers showing little compassion or empathy.

I got a new Altura Night Vision coat for Christmas. I can report that it is fantastic.

I also got a wooly 'Belgian Cycle Cap'. Highly recommend.

My Rivelo tights were also warm and comfortable throughout - check them out on Sports Pursuit.

But my socks were soaking- the first failure for my Endura overshoes.

I may lie in in the morning.

Those endura overshoes you recommended are still working a treat for me. Atrocious weather on the morning commute yesterday. Odlo see through lightweight waterproof jacket under lightweight dayglo commuter jacket, walking waterproof over trousers and the enduras and I was bone dry, just quite hot. Luckily the journey is only a few miles though - Not sure how well that kit would have held up on a long ride to be fair.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The secret is, don't worry about average speeds. You'll get there in the end. It's all about how far you go.

Agreed, but this is a ten mile diversion so it's the nearest I get to ever doing an ITT :lol: Plus I'm trying to get back in the swing again from having lost whatever fitness I had at the end of last Spring.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Those endura overshoes you recommended are still working a treat for me. Atrocious weather on the morning commute yesterday. Odlo see through lightweight waterproof jacket under lightweight dayglo commuter jacket, walking waterproof over trousers and the enduras and I was bone dry, just quite hot. Luckily the journey is only a few miles though - Not sure how well that kit would have held up on a long ride to be fair.
My Vermarc jacket is a thing a cycling beauty when raining (although tough to gauge what to wear underneath) and my dhb Vaeon tights are also great.
In this unseasonable warmth, I've become a bit a of gilet/arm warmer combo wearer.

But as said, as usual my feet are letting me down.
The nearest I've got to comfort is a pair of 'free' overshoes from Planet X.
Last night my feet were freezing wearing my Endura's.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My Vermarc jacket is a thing a cycling beauty when raining (although tough to gauge what to wear underneath) and my dhb Vaeon tights are also great.
In this unseasonable warmth, I've become a bit a of gilet/arm warmer combo wearer.

But as said, as usual my feet are letting me down.
The nearest I've got to comfort is a pair of 'free' overshoes from Planet X.
Last night my feet were freezing wearing my Endura's.

You need to get yourself a pack of these SB.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KRH8B...&ascsubtag=d9f046fcab5be9ecf606533e8876b770_S

Best socks I've ever owned! Feet keep warm but never get sweaty as the wicking is just superb. Probably the merino wool doing the trick.
Perfect for all occasions, especially on the bike.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I'm hoping to get out at the strange time of middle of the day tomorrow. Spent ages refixing the rear guard today. Brute force and swearing got me through. Really don't know where to go. Two of my homies have reported gatorskin grip issues, so any damp descents will be very cautious.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If you fancy it, from me cycling club innit...:thumbsup:

2016-Elevenses copy.png

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Been getting in some great off-road rides lately (when the rain has stopped long enough) although its a real pain in the ass cleaning the bike off afterwards! I knew there was a reason I wanted another road bike!
Looking forward to the start of the racing season again with the Tour Down Under from the 19th - hopefully it'll be on TV?
Was speaking with my mate yesterday who is now with Team Katusha, & he was saying that Rein Taaramae is feeling the strongest he has for a long time, & is really up for the Aussie race. Don't know if anyone has an occasional flutter on the cycle races, but may be worth a punt?!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Been getting in some great off-road rides lately (when the rain has stopped long enough) although its a real pain in the ass cleaning the bike off afterwards! I knew there was a reason I wanted another road bike!
Looking forward to the start of the racing season again with the Tour Down Under from the 19th - hopefully it'll be on TV?
Was speaking with my mate yesterday who is now with Team Katusha, & he was saying that Rein Taaramae is feeling the strongest he has for a long time, & is really up for the Aussie race. Don't know if anyone has an occasional flutter on the cycle races, but may be worth a punt?!

This is the sort of inside info I've been known to trawl the Internet for hours for :blush:, so thanks for that.

Cycling is about the only thing I bet on. Had a woeful year last season , managing to pretty much lose all the nice little profit I made the season before that.

TDU is particularly hard to predict, being the first world tour race of the season. I usually pay particular attention to the Aussie and NZ nationals for some clue on local riders' form at least. I might have a little punt on Taaramae then as he's often promised to finally deliver.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The home page of www.road.cc currently has some interesting articles:-

76,076 miles - Kurt Searvogel's record breaking year ends
£160k funding package set to save Preston Park track
Big stack at start of Belgian U23 cyclo-cross championship
Hunt 4Season Dura Road Wheelset

(Partridge Green wheel builders)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Ok then, to get the action underway for the season...Greenedge have done another good little video. I've never been an Aussie fan in general, but it really is impossible not to like Greenedge as a team. They're doing wonders with our Yates brothers too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzhuW-Imzbc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here