Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Can anyone recommend a good waterproof that packs into a bag for emergency wear. I had one from Wiggle that felt more like a straitjacket and so many of the ones advertised are 'slim fit' (read "f*** me I can't do the zip up"). I am not a fatty (42 in chest, 36 in waist) but not a matchstick either. Perhaps the manufacturers's aims are to ensure no wind resistant flapping. Fine, but I prefer a bit of comfort.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just back from the sportive with Jnr.
His eyes were certainly bigger than his legs.

It took ages and a hell of a lot of nervous energy to get him to settle down.
By which time he was pooped.
He did well covering probably about twice his furthest ever distance, with well over double the climbing.
His last couple of climbs made it obvious that today The Wall was out of reach.
When I told him he didn't strop, then I knew he was done.

It should be a quiet rest of the day!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anyone recommend a good waterproof that packs into a bag for emergency wear. I had one from Wiggle that felt more like a straitjacket and so many of the ones advertised are 'slim fit' (read "f*** me I can't do the zip up"). I am not a fatty (42 in chest, 36 in waist) but not a matchstick either. Perhaps the manufacturers's aims are to ensure no wind resistant flapping. Fine, but I prefer a bit of comfort.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/163637-best-windproof-cycling-jackets-what-look-11-great-choices

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/163340-best-winter-cycling-jackets

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Sound advice from SB there.

Generally, if it's for emergencies and not wearing for too long then the slightly cheaper ones are ok but they can get very sweaty inside.

Waterproof and comfortable to ride for extended periods will cost.

You might consider a waterproof gilet as a compromise. Keep the torso dry without overheating.

On the sizing thing, it can be so random. I've just got a new winter jacket in team kit, Italian made so the large is super slim fit. Only room for a Base Layer under (I'm 38 chest and 31 waist)!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Anyone on here been in contact with any Charlton fans planning a road trip down at the end of the season?

A Charlton supporting work colleague has said they are planning on something as a fundraiser for their charity.

Might be worth meeting up with them halfway, or in Moto's case, an opportunity to cycle down perhaps?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone on here been in contact with any Charlton fans planning a road trip down at the end of the season?

A Charlton supporting work colleague has said they are planning on something as a fundraiser for their charity.

Might be worth meeting up with them halfway, or in Moto's case, an opportunity to cycle down perhaps?

Are they planning a hundred miler before the game as they are at home v us on 23.04.16.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Should be a perfect cycling night to Falmer for those riding from the West.

19mph South Westerly up to about 20.00, the wind then swings right the way round for an Easterly wind after 21.00 for the trip home. :thumbsup:

(this is obviously shit news for those cycling from the East, but what can you do...:shrug:)

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Photo of my sons Dawes Giro 300 freebie that I picked up last week - I had a ride on it at lunchtime out the back of Peacehaven and a short, sharp hill that I can get up ok on my MTB, totally blew me up & I had to get off & push. The cassette is def. a higher ratio than on an mtb (despite the triple crank set up front) & I reckon it will be too high for him to conquer any decent gradient. My question is, can I just change the cassette for something with a lower "granny gear" so my lad can ride the hills ok, or will it mean changing other things as well?

Attachments

• giro300.jpg
    giro300.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 82

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got some very good news and some bad news.

I just got my baby back from my LBS, who sorted out a minor shifting issue.
The very good news for you lot is, as Glynn isn't a Bianchi dealer my main bike no longer has celeste bar tape.
:cry: double :cry:

The bad news for you is he did have this Lizard Skin tape:-

5866075080_0719924523_b.jpg

:rave: :rock: :rave: :vuvu:

The photo doesn't do it justice - oh and not my bike!

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
The bad news for you is he did have this Lizard Skin tape:-

I think that is what I was admiring on my mates new BMC TimeMachine at the weekend - certainly looked a lot nicer than my cheapo Planet X tape!

I'm going to be driving my folks to the Rugby on Sunday and then picking them up afterwards. As I'll be coming down from Horsham area seems silly to go home while the match is on so thought I could take my bike and find a ride for a couple of hours. Can anyone suggest a good place I can drive to and park not to far from Falmer and a good direction to head off in? Not ridden in that park of Sussex for a long, long time...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think that is what I was admiring on my mates new BMC TimeMachine at the weekend - certainly looked a lot nicer than my cheapo Planet X tape!

I'm going to be driving my folks to the Rugby on Sunday and then picking them up afterwards. As I'll be coming down from Horsham area seems silly to go home while the match is on so thought I could take my bike and find a ride for a couple of hours. Can anyone suggest a good place I can drive to and park not to far from Falmer and a good direction to head off in? Not ridden in that park of Sussex for a long, long time...
It'll be plain rude to not park up at the top of Ditchling Beacon, 2 minutes from the ground.

Head north for a circular route (there will be plenty on our Strava page) before finishing with the climb.

Edit - To keep it simple go 'up' Ditchling Road, as far as you want, turn right and right again, then back down through Chailey Common, Plumpton Green and onto Plumpton Lane.
Underhill Lane, back up The Beacon.

Last edited:

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
It'll be plain rude to not park up at the top of Ditchling Beacon, 2 minutes from the ground.

Head north for a circular route (there will be plenty on our Strava page) before finishing with the climb.

Edit - To keep it simple go 'up' Ditchling Road, as far as you want, turn right and right again, then back down through Chailey Common, Plumpton Green and onto Plumpton Lane.
Underhill Lane, back up The Beacon.

I was thinking about the Beacon. However, my general lack of current fitness and not having done much climbing at all recently does worry me. How busy is the Beacon likely to be on a Sunday afternoon? I thinking I'd probably be better attempting that early in a morning.

I guess I could park at the bottom and do a ride, and then maybe climb and descend at the end if I feel okay. Is there still parking at the bottom?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I was thinking about the Beacon. However, my general lack of current fitness and not having done much climbing at all recently does worry me. How busy is the Beacon likely to be on a Sunday afternoon? I thinking I'd probably be better attempting that early in a morning.

I guess I could park at the bottom and do a ride, and then maybe climb and descend at the end if I feel okay. Is there still parking at the bottom?

Yes, plenty of room to park. And loads of unfit people attempting it too!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Cool - sounds like a plan. The good thing of doing it that way is I can always bail halfway and head back down!

Thanks to both of you.
But you won't bail out if your car's at the top.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Photo of my sons Dawes Giro 300 freebie that I picked up last week - I had a ride on it at lunchtime out the back of Peacehaven and a short, sharp hill that I can get up ok on my MTB, totally blew me up & I had to get off & push. The cassette is def. a higher ratio than on an mtb (despite the triple crank set up front) & I reckon it will be too high for him to conquer any decent gradient. My question is, can I just change the cassette for something with a lower "granny gear" so my lad can ride the hills ok, or will it mean changing other things as well?

You've probably got an 11-25 cassette on the back. Mind you, with a triple on the front I'm surprised you got caught out on any hill to be honest. You could probably go something like a 12 -29 or even 12-30 on the back, but then with a triple on the front you'd be proper spinning like a mtb with that.

Shouldn't be a problem swapping out the rear cassette and nothing else. Only thing I can foresee is the length of the rear derailleur. I can't remember now, but think possibly if you have a short arm then you may need to go longer if swapping for a bigger cassette. One of the others here will know. Oh, and you'll need the right cassette removal tool of course and preferably chain whip too if you're doing the job yourself. With the right tools, cassettes are simple enough to swap over.

Btw, can't sniff at that bike for a freebie. Nice going! :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here