Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Touche!

The compact chainset and 11 sprockets means no one should need a triple - 34x27 is enough for anyone.

(cue "in my day....." "42x23 to get up a wall" etc etc.! [emoji3]

So there's no difference between our granny gears then? I really don't have a clue about all this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Mention of 'a wall' reminds me, I was a tad silly this afternoon.

It's the Ashdown Forest sportive this weekend, which I promised Jnr he could do at the end of his track season.
I was showing him the route etc, naturally he was looking at the profile and got a little disappointed when I said our 33 mile short route doesn't go up The Wall.
He asked if he could try to climb it after the ride, like we did Ditchling last year.
Competitive dad kicks in and I hear myself saying 'I don't see why not'.

Irrespective of the fact we'll have an earlier start, we'll be riding 20 miles further and it might be wet.
All that on top of his nature stubborn, bloody mindedness, refusal to fail, means it could well end up very messy.
But at least he'll be quiet Sunday afternoon..

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry if already posted, but Stephen Frears film The Program has it's UK release on 16 October. Getting some good reviews by the look of it. Surprised they didn't release it in the middle of the tour, or is there some dignity and respect hiding behind the film industry's cynical facade!?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Pleased to be finally putting in some tarmac miles on quiet lanes after the last 4 years off-road. I've put skinnier road rubber, clipless pedals & bar ends on my Genesis Core MTB for the time being...and it feels great to be flying along the road rather than slogging through mud! Still on the lookout for a cheap road bike, but happy enough with what I've got at the moment. Also just nabbed a free Giant for my 12 year old who wants to start doing triathlons...Vive le Velo!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I'm 6ft so a 56-58 is my normal frame size. Don't want to spend much at all as I'm primarily an off roader these days, so just watching a few cheapo hacks on eBay at the moment...got my eye on an old Giant which is dirt cheap. Down tube shifters and Exage kit, but less than £30 at the mo.!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Anybody doing the Velogames ToB game this week? Rather pleased to see I'm in 491st place overall. After pretty dismal efforts in the TDF & Vuelta games its nice to be the right end of the tables for once!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FPT, do you have access to the Cycle 2 Work scheme?

It's all very well picking up a 'vintage' bike on the cheap, but when compared to a new entry level bike you might as well be riding a penny farthing.

Through the scheme a name brand, entry level bike will only cost about £5 a week, or 1 pie at the the AMEX!!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I don't at my work unfortunately SB - but my wife got "herself" a lovely full sus MTB earlier this year using it. Unfortunately cant get one for me though while this ones being paid for... ;-)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't at my work unfortunately SB - but my wife got "herself" a lovely full sus MTB earlier this year using it. Unfortunately cant get one for me though while this ones being paid for... ;-)
That's a shame, it would seem like your wife has her priorities all wrong.
You might want to have a word with her about that. :lolol:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Brilliant news!! Spent hours there as a kid perfecting my Abdu sprint technique....

In other news, I picked up my sons freebie bike last night - needs a good clean but other than that its ready to go. I thought it was a Giant, but turned out to be a 19" Dawes Giro 300. Kitted out with Shimano Sora brakes, Shimano triple crank set & a Campagnolo Xenon rear mech. Ritchey stem & seat post, and the wheels run on Shimano hubs. All in all a great bike for nothing.....!

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
cycled to the Amex today for the first time from Hove. It was a nice easy ride and locking up the bike was a breeze. as I was worried about it being left. The only downside was almost getting knocked off by a white van man doing a U-turn in the middle of a busy road and almost going into the side of me. Very quick journey back. Beat my family back by an hour.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
cycled to the Amex today for the first time from Hove. It was a nice easy ride and locking up the bike was a breeze. as I was worried about it being left. The only downside was almost getting knocked off by a white van man doing a U-turn in the middle of a busy road and almost going into the side of me. Very quick journey back. Beat my family back by an hour.

I cycled there too, from Ovingdean, up Falmer Road and over the hill. Home by 5.25, after the match finished just before 5.

Great, isn't it?

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I cycled there too, from Ovingdean, up Falmer Road and over the hill. Home by 5.25, after the match finished just before 5.

Great, isn't it?

it was amazing to be home so early and not have to worry about queuing for ages. surprising what a difference it makes to cycle. I will be doing it again on Tuesday. but might be a bit different with it being a night game.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
it was amazing to be home so early and not have to worry about queuing for ages. surprising what a difference it makes to cycle. I will be doing it again on Tuesday. but might be a bit different with it being a night game.

It's even better after a night game. I HATE waiting for a bus in the cold, dark evenings, and then not getting home early enough to get the amount of sleep that I seem to require these days.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Struggled out of bed this morning, bit still went out on the planned ride. Toys is a cowson. Legs exploded near the top. Fair play SB for getting up after so many miles beforehand and the doing Yorks right away. I stopped twice. Funk knows how I'd have fared without my granny gear. Then went looking for the hill in the old vid, Brasted. Saw a convenient right turn on the approach, so laid another egg. I was never gonna make it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here