Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do tend to start my rides heading into the wind. Surely not just me?

The problem with that being from Newhaven that generally means heading out to sea!
Deffo.

The wind has switched round to the East which means tomorrow PM I can have a crack at shaving 7 seconds off my Bury Hill climb and get myself into the 5 minute club.
(Which will be less than twice the speed of the best :lol: :facepalm:)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:facepalm::D

10423743_10153289880064873_7896510632736675620_n.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm amazed he bothered to chase it. Do you think they take it out of their wages?!

Apparently he didn't catch it either, just kept on rolling down the hill!

The support car was stuck behind a crash, so he's waiting up there losing his patience, throws his wheel down and it unfortunately rolls away. I guess he doesn't want the support car to turn up and having the embarrassment of having to explain where his wheel was!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Top top stuff in Paris Nice today. Well worth catching highlights if you have not seen it live.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Top top stuff in Paris Nice today. Well worth catching highlights if you have not seen it live.

I was looking forward to it, but just inadvertently heard the result on Five Live. F*** ing cow of a sports reporter. It was so much easier when the major networks ignored cycling.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was looking forward to it, but just inadvertently heard the result on Five Live. F*** ing cow of a sports reporter. It was so much easier when the major networks ignored cycling.

They still do ignore cycling by and large. It was only because G was involved and Porte rides for Sky that it got a mention I expect. Had Kwia won today and TJVG was 2nd on GC for example they just wouldn't have bothered. But then that's the British media mentality for you, but hey ho, I pretty much only watch Wimbledon when Murray is playing so I really shouldn't be throwing stones.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
They still do ignore cycling by and large. It was only because G was involved and Porte rides for Sky that it got a mention I expect. Had Kwia won today and TJVG was 2nd on GC for example they just wouldn't have bothered. But then that's the British media mentality for you, but hey ho, I pretty much only watch Wimbledon when Murray is playing so I really shouldn't be throwing stones.

Yep, that's very true.

I should have known better, but it's early in the season. When I have my wits about me I NEVER listen to sports news, or speak to anyone who may know the result (unless they are aware of the danger to themselves if they speak of what must not be spoken of) before watching the highlights.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Apparently he didn't catch it either, just kept on rolling down the hill!

The support car was stuck behind a crash, so he's waiting up there losing his patience, throws his wheel down and it unfortunately rolls away. I guess he doesn't want the support car to turn up and having the embarrassment of having to explain where his wheel was!

:lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
While waiting for Pogue, I'll just say I'll liking the retro Ridley's as advertised by Thomas De Gent.

But I can't cope with the Garmin Cannondale colour scheme.

Attachments

• HELIUMSL(2).jpg
    HELIUMSL(2).jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 01_4205001_010_120_120_150127041928.jpg
    01_4205001_010_120_120_150127041928.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
May have to get the Summer bike out early to try to get my mojo back. I didn't ride for a week or so due to a bug that knocked me for six (the first one in what's been a lucky Winter so far) and it's been hard getting back out even for the small commute. Feels like hard work both physically and mentality at the moment so need some inspiration to get going again.

When do others tend to get out the best bike?, given that even in a sunny early Spring a lot of the country lanes can be pretty wet and muddy still, and full of the usual potholes.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
At least the lurid green makes it a bit easier to spot!

Yep, better than bloody Lotto Jumbo in their yellow kit. That is really confusing. As is the Giant Alpecin/MTN Quebeca matching kit farce. Really like those Ridley's though, they are boss.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I like that Ridley too. The Garmin shirt is dull as funk.
[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION], I don't fanny about with multi bikes. Its all about he timeless wonder of the English countryside and testing the limits of your fitness.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yep, better than bloody Lotto Jumbo in their yellow kit. That is really confusing. As is the Giant Alpecin/MTN Quebeca matching kit farce. Really like those Ridley's though, they are boss.

I really like Lotto's new kit colour. Made it nice and easy to pick out Sep Vanmarcke recently in the classics - not that it's hard to spot a 7 ft tall giant doing the work of 10 men alone you understand :lol:

Agreed on the black kits - far too many in the pelotn again this season and making it tricky to pick riders out.

As for the Ridley - not my cup of tea, but each to their own and all that.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I really like Lotto's new kit colour. Made it nice and easy to pick out Sep Vanmarcke recently in the classics - not that it's hard to spot a 7 ft tall giant doing the work of 10 men alone you understand [emoji38]

Agreed on the black kits - far too many in the pelotn again this season and making it tricky to pick riders out.

As for the Ridley - not my cup of tea, but each to their own and all that.
Black has been on the rise for a couple of years so you would think teams would want to stand out to maximise their brand exposure. Sky, garmin, bora, alpecin, trek...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
May have to get the Summer bike out early to try to get my mojo back. I didn't ride for a week or so due to a bug that knocked me for six (the first one in what's been a lucky Winter so far) and it's been hard getting back out even for the small commute. Feels like hard work both physically and mentality at the moment so need some inspiration to get going again.

When do others tend to get out the best bike?, given that even in a sunny early Spring a lot of the country lanes can be pretty wet and muddy still, and full of the usual potholes.
Last week I was chatting with Colin about mojo.
Like you he's been laid low by an on going bug, he's off the bike, and not keen to return.

I offered up doing a bit of 'target' chasing.
I certainly enjoy mixing up my rides, flat out for 10, 50 mile rouleur, specific hill climb challenge.
It certainly keeps my options open and alert.

As for dusting off the carbon.
That'll be happening pretty soon, although I can't help thinking winter's got a sting in it's tail.
But Stathack's indexing is fryer, and I know I can't improve it without making it a hell of a lot worse first, so it'll be going to hospital soon forcing the decision.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Right Pogue has had long enough.

Great call today P, I might have let it slide if you given the heads up.

Just before Porte made his move I had absolutely no idea who was going to win and how it would pan out.

Quality riding by Sky and G.
Less so from the fella who fell off going up hill.
Astana would seem to be trying to seize the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here