Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lovely stuff. What a finish. Catch the highlights if you have not seen it live.
I'm well happy with that, a big win for Stybar this Spring was on the cards.
He was riding well without having to tax himself too much

Strade such a good race and amazing it's only 9 years old.
The crosswind on the main dirt section looked absolutely brutal.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Happy birthday [MENTION=19321]Pogue Mahone[/MENTION]

:birthday: :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:
:vuvu:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

What he said.

Anyway. Today was supposed to be about converting all the inspiration I get from you lot into something new. Realised I could do a 10 mile by a few laps of my estate. Yesterday's bumps may not look much on the ride profile, but they killed my legs. Painful legs even woke me up overnight. So 0.3 miles in and the legs told me to eff off. The times I've seen on strava are very good. Very well played all those who can pull that off. Change of plan for me then. Went for a mooch and a bit of segment hunting. Got into a couple of top 10s, which is nice.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Thanks Stat (and Moto). I have spent it lying in, then watching yesterday's Strade Bianchi (recorded from last night's highlights programme which finished with 6km to go - thank God people put the last kms on youtube these days!) What a great race that is - I know [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] has ridden those roads - it is an ambition of mine to do so.

Paris Nice today after pub lunch makes it a great way to celebrate. Lucky me.

How was the Puncheur? Did you win? Conditions looked good, with less of a wind than yesterday (unless, of course, you know better!)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks Stat (and Moto). I have spent it lying in, then watching yesterday's Strade Bianchi (recorded from last night's highlights programme which finished with 6km to go - thank God people put the last kms on youtube these days!) What a great race that is - I know [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] has ridden those roads - it is an ambition of mine to do so.

Paris Nice today after pub lunch makes it a great way to celebrate. Lucky me.

How was the Puncheur? Did you win? Conditions looked good, with less of a wind than yesterday (unless, of course, you know better!)
I didn't come last!!

I love the Strade Bianchi but have no intention of ever riding those roads.
They look even worse (if that possible) than your Roubaix route.
That's before you even consider those crosswinds.

Obviously it was great to see Stybar win, he absolutely deserves that, and is riding like there's more to come.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I didn't come last!!

I love the Strade Bianchi but have no intention of ever riding those roads.
They look even worse (if that possible) than your Roubaix route.
That's before you even consider those crosswinds.

Obviously it was great to see Stybar win, he absolutely deserves that, and is riding like there's more to come.

Yep.

The finish in Siena is probably my favourite finish out of any of the classics, and I struggle to think of any stage in any stage race that is as beautiful and compelling. It is not an ambition of mine to cycle up Santa Caterina.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
By the way Stat, Bronze, Silver or...Gold?
I was riding for the Geeks, do you need to ask :lolol:.

17 mins inside Gold.

I'm well chuffed with that, although I wouldn't have had so much time to spare if I didn't have a run-in with Brighton Excelsior.

Their 10 man train enveloped little old me straight after a junction, with about 20 miles to go.
I was completely swamped and with no warning I was ridden through a feckin great big crater.
I wasn't happy and told them so.
But from that point on I belligerently sat on the back of their train and armchaired it to Ditchling.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

17 mins inside Gold.

I'm well chuffed with that, although I wouldn't have had so much time to spare if I didn't have a run-in with Brighton Excelsior.

Their 10 man train enveloped little old me straight after a junction, with about 20 miles to go.
I was completely swamped and with no warning I was ridden through a feckin great big crater.
But from that point on I belligerently sat on the back of their train and armchaired it to Ditchling.

17 minutes inside!? Bloody Hell, that is phenomenal. Chapeau.

I got Silver last year, and was delighted with that. Clearly you are right back to your best this year. Brilliant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
17 minutes inside!? Bloody Hell, that is phenomenal. Chapeau.

I got Silver last year, and was delighted with that. Clearly you are right back to your best this year. Brilliant.
The weather was appalling for you guys.

TBH oddly enough I was a little disappointed it was glorious today.
The whole point of doing the Puncheur and Basingstoke back in December was to dovetail riding through the winter, and keep me motivated.
I was anticipating it being grim so that I could now 'tick off' winter as done.

Although I'm not complaining that would be stupid, even for me.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The weather was appalling for you guys.

TBH oddly enough I was a little disappointed it was glorious today.
The whole point of doing the Puncheur and Basingstoke back in December was to dovetail riding through the winter, and keep me motivated.
I was anticipating it being grim so that I could now 'tick off' winter as done.

Although I'm not complaining that would be stupid, even for me.

Yes...last year and the year before, and indeed, the year before that...the weather was atrocious on Puncheur day. Typical that it is glorious in the year that I am otherwise occupied.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

17 mins inside Gold.

Having seen it on strava, anything less than gold would have seen me never contemplate one of those events. Let us know when the grin wears off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The timings have been publishing.

The quickest was a Sussex Revolution rider in 3:12:32.
Basically an average of 22mph for 65 miles with 4,900 feet of climbing. :ohmy:

That'll be why I just scrapped into the top 50.

FFS [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], that is amazing. Chapeau indeed.

I am after (another) bit of geek advice. I recently (in mileage terms) put a 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro on the back wheel to match that on the front. To be frank, it feels a bit like I'm ice skating rather than cycling. The rear has slipped a couple of times in the cold weather and it's rather dented my confidence at high speeds and on corners. I'll happily confess to being rather on the heavy side, and not particularly co-ordinated or well balanced, and at the moment I'm spending more time than I'd like fearing for my safety rather than enjoying my ride. So I have two questions;

i) I assume I would be better off with 25mm tyres - will these fit okay onto my wheels?
ii) Can you recommend some tyres that have decent grip - I'm not too bothered about them being fast, or even hard wearing, I would just like to feel a bit more secure than I do currently. Ideally (although this might be asking a lot) I'd like a pair that are relatively easy to fit so I can swap back on to the Rubinos when the weather gets nice and my confidence gets up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I am after (another) bit of geek advice. I recently (in mileage terms) put a 23mm Vittoria Rubino Pro on the back wheel to match that on the front. To be frank, it feels a bit like I'm ice skating rather than cycling. The rear has slipped a couple of times in the cold weather and it's rather dented my confidence at high speeds and on corners. I'll happily confess to being rather on the heavy side, and not particularly co-ordinated or well balanced, and at the moment I'm spending more time than I'd like fearing for my safety rather than enjoying my ride. So I have two questions;

i) I assume I would be better off with 25mm tyres - will these fit okay onto my wheels?
ii) Can you recommend some tyres that have decent grip - I'm not too bothered about them being fast, or even hard wearing, I would just like to feel a bit more secure than I do currently. Ideally (although this might be asking a lot) I'd like a pair that are relatively easy to fit so I can swap back on to the Rubinos when the weather gets nice and my confidence gets up.
25's will fit just fine, I imagine your bike will happily take 28mms.
Us chunky monkeys should have the advantage when it comes to rear wheel grip, although my Vittoria Rubino Pro slicks have given me a rough old time this winter.
Next year I'll definitely be moving over to the geek recommended winter tyre.

There's a little tip I recently picked up that I imagine everyone else does as habit:-

When descending and cornering at speed, you always have the outside pedal at '6 o'clock'.
What I wasn't doing and have only just learned is to properly push down on that pedal.
The bike is a bit more responsive, and feels less likely to 'slip away'.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

I know PM highly recommends the Rubinos but I've had a Rubino Pro on the back and have not been very impressed. Although I've had no punctures, it wore through very quickly and I found it sliding around, as you describe, a fair bit. I've popped a 25mm gatorskin on there for the next couple of months and then I'll have a hunt around for an alternative summer tyre.

I don't think its anything to do with your size! I'm 73kg and having the same problem.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks both for the advice. I think a pair of 25mm gatorskins sound like a good idea, I've just got to get it past the family finance department :lolol:

I ride with 25mm gatorskins, and to be honest they are a quality tyre. I have been putting 23mm 4000S tyres in the summer, but in real terms, I don't notice a huge amount of difference. I'll probably keep the 25mm's on for the rest of this year - if I ever get out on the friggin' thing!! :angry:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I know PM highly recommends the Rubinos but I've had a Rubino Pro on the back and have not been very impressed. Although I've had no punctures, it wore through very quickly and I found it sliding around, as you describe, a fair bit. I've popped a 25mm gatorskin on there for the next couple of months and then I'll have a hunt around for an alternative summer tyre.

I don't think its anything to do with your size! I'm 73kg and having the same problem.

I've never been a fan of any of the Vittoria tyres down the years. Michelin Pro Race for the summer, and some sort of indestructible Conti tyre for the winter, gatorskins/GP 4 seasons.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Thanks for that folks - I was just about to get some 25c Vittoria Rubino Pros.

I've decided 25c is the way forward, but perhaps I'll go with something else...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here