Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Right Pogue has had long enough.

Great call today P, I might have let it slide if you given the heads up.

Just before Porte made his move I had absolutely no idea who was going to win and how it would pan out.

Quality riding by Sky and G.
Less so from the fella who fell off going up hill.
Astana would seem to be trying to seize the day.

I'm not reading this post yet. I saw the top line, and I'm afraid you are wrong.

I had to eat a meal with the family, and then we had to catch up with Better Call Saul - magnificent, in case you were wondering.

And now I'm back with Paris Nice - 40k to go!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not reading this post yet. I saw the top line, and I'm afraid you are wrong.

I had to eat a meal with the family, and then we had to catch up with Better Call Saul - magnificent, in case you were wondering.

And now I'm back with Paris Nice - 40k to go!
Oh so it's ok for you to ruin PCS :tisk:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you've got Netflix, there are six episodes to blitz. And yeah, sorry I spoilt it by telling you that it is superb!

26k to go. Sean's talking about helmets.
Yeah I'm watching on Netflix, it's just not appointment viewing for me, yet.
As much as I like Saul and Mike, I'm struggling with the rest of it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Last week I was chatting with Colin about mojo.
Like you he's been laid low by an on going bug, he's off the bike, and not keen to return.

I offered up doing a bit of 'target' chasing.
I certainly enjoy mixing up my rides, flat out for 10, 50 mile rouleur, specific hill climb challenge.
It certainly keeps my options open and alert.

As for dusting off the carbon.
That'll be happening pretty soon, although I can't help thinking winter's got a sting in it's tail.
But Stathack's indexing is fryer, and I know I can't improve it without making it a hell of a lot worse first, so it'll be going to hospital soon forcing the decision.

I'm just going to try to force myself back out onto the club ride tomorrow evening for a start. Tempted to take the carbon out as an extra incentive.

Annoyingly I was buzzing before the bug bit and stopped me in my tracks. I was getting some regular winter miles in (by my standard at any rate) and throwing in the odd short climbing ride now and then and really enjoying myself, along with finally holding my own a bit better when out with the club. I'm not sure I could do a 'flat out for 10' ride round these parts as inevitably I'd come up against a decent hill or loads of traffic one way or the other.

This Paris Nice is shaping up really nicely because of the make up of the 3 at the front. My money would definitely be on Porte now though with what's left to come and the Sky strength compared to the steppers here. I would love to see Kwia hang in their on Saturday's Queen stage though and try to pull something out of the bag on the descent to the finish and leave things hanging in the balance for the final TT. Tomorrow's stage looks quite interesting too, and I've a sneaky feeling we might see a break finally stick, either from the off or a late attack.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Note to self geeks..
Don't squeeze your back tyre just before a ride and think 'i can squeeze one more effort out of these before pumping up'.

Flat tyre this morning, so ridden to Shoreham with odd tyres and wheels.

Oh the shame.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
So, I've recently invested in Tivo, with the added benefit of British Eurosport. What the hell took me so long?!!?!!!!

Just caught up with Paris-Nice (I called Porte as soon as G went up the road... a classic 1-2 springboard, but didn't think G would follow him alone. Awesome riding) and Tirreno-Adriatico too (Cav's a bloody liability in a bunch).

I'm falling back in love with the sport, and this nice weather's certainly making me want to dust off the carbon and do a bit more than just commuting. Isn't cycling brilliant?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I found a 1930's vintage bike branded SEAGULL a little while back.

pic1.jpg

Had to have it on that alone. Anyone got a bike with a head stem that long?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, I've recently invested in Tivo, with the added benefit of British Eurosport. What the hell took me so long?!!?!!!?
I need to offload Sky for a Humux box, after the Classics.
We don't watch it half as much as we watch Netflix so Sky just isn't VFM.

I must be the only person to be reluctant to ditch Sky because of Eurosport.
I'm even contemplating buying a second hand x-box so I can run ES on that as they don't use Playstation as a platform.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Good racing again in Paris Nice today. I thought TdG was gonna get there...but perfect timing again from the sprinters.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I need to offload Sky for a Humux box, after the Classics.
We don't watch it half as much as we watch Netflix so Sky just isn't VFM.

I must be the only person to be reluctant to ditch Sky because of Eurosport.
I'm even contemplating buying a second hand x-box so I can run ES on that as they don't use Playstation as a platform.
What about a chromecast to put eurosport onto the tele?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good racing again in Paris Nice today. I thought TdG was gonna get there...but perfect timing again from the sprinters.
Why does Boohoohani smack his bars every time he doesn't win irrespective of the fact he was never going to win in the first place.

What about a chromecast to put eurosport onto the tele?
There's no mention of Eurosport in the chromecast apps listing:-

http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not a popular man in the peloton - the secret pro gives him a right slagging!

I thought chromecast could send any browser to the TV?
1066 loves him I guess that's all he needs.

Re Chromecast - is this the quickest anyone has got out of his depth, in one conversation?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought chromecast could send any browser to the TV?
A quick look suggest no.

But a preowned xbox 360 from game is £59.99.+ £3.99 a month for Eurosport.
A Humux HD box is about £120.
Netflix is £6.99 a month, which I'm already paying.

Why the fook am I paying £40.00 a month for SkyHD and broadband?

The only problem with this move forward is the front room will have a PS3, Xbox 360 & a Wii.
I sincerely apologise for my language here but that will drive 10 year old Junior spastic mentals with excitement.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION], I don't fanny about with multi bikes. Its all about he timeless wonder of the English countryside and testing the limits of your fitness.

I used to think like this too, but having made the kids go without food for a week to pay for a bit of carbon, I'm sure they'll all agree that dear old Dad made the right decision there :wink:

Went out on the club run tonight having dusted the Summer bike off, and boy what a difference!

I needed the inspiration having come back from a bug, and it felt like a dream tonight. Now it's nothing fancy, and I still love my old Battaglin with the campag, but tonight I felt at times like I was floating on air. Some nasty head winds and yet I probably took more proper turns at the front than I've ever done. Added to that, I somehow managed to shave 20 secs off my PB up my nemesis hill without it even feeling like I was going to collapse at the top.

Trust me Moto, getting a full carbon bike is a revelation! Of course, once you're past those first few rides at the beginning of each year the novelty will wear off, but you get that very same brand new excited feel every year you bring it back out for the first time :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here